What's new

upconverting dvd players (1 Viewer)

PaulVD

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Van Dyk
I just bought a 32 LCD tv 3 weeks ago. I was wondering if I bought an up-converting dvd with a HDMI cable, will the wow factor be equal to or better than watch the first movie on the LCD than my tube t.v.?

Thanks

profetik

Auditioning
Real Name
Leo
I was actually going to post on a similar topic, but I'll hijack this thread instead ;)

Is there really a benefit to upconversion? I've heard that all you are doing is blowing up the picture and thus creating a lower quality image. (no source, just hearsay).

My 50" plasma is in the mail; I've been specing out home theater to go with it -- Should I bother with an upconverting (720p,1080i) dvd player?

Thanks!

profetik

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You are blowing up the image in a sense, but you are actually creating a higher quality image than the native resolution image, if the scaling is of high quality. That is to say, displaying native 480 DVD at 480 does not look as good as displaying it at 720p or 1080p or something much higher than 480.

However, most all HD displays (and basically all digital displays) have scaling built in (digitals must because everythign must be scaled to the native panel resolution). The benefits of external video processing from standalone processors, DVD players with integrated processin(upscaling DVD players), computers, etc may or may not be significant depending on the quality of the external processing/deinterlacing compared with the quality of the processing in the display.

profetik

Auditioning
Real Name
Leo

Hmm. So if I understand what you are saying, then its a "Maybe".

If I read correctly, by maybe, you mean it depends on what model dvd player I get and/or whether or not my display does scaling well. (?)

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
What he's saying is that on a fixed pixel, digital display like that LCD flat panel, the tv already "upconverts" the image to fit the native resolution of the set. The upconverting DVD player does the same thing externally from the tv, but may or may not do as good a job as the processor built into the tv. Which produces the better image is a matter of opinion.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Well, you can test these things objectively. Some processors absolutely are better than others, for various reasons. When performance gets really close, then it's the small things, and preference can come into play more.

midapo

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I just purchased LG RC199h upconvert combo vcr/dvd/recorder/cookyour breakfast unit. I don't have anything to technical to add, but, it seems to provide a very clear picture. I also just bought a projector, but I don't have a cable box. This unit will convert the cable signal so it can be used with the component video or HDMI output. I can view my old 36" tv and the projector side by side, and the signal to the projector is substantially better, even though the picture is much larger. My projector is the Optoma HD70, so I don't know if it is the resolution of the projector or the dvd player or combo of both. The guy at best buy said that it has filters that improve the picture plus the upconvert, although I have my doubts as to the filters. All in all, I really like the Dvd player.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
check out the OPPO players. There are alot of reviews here in HTF, and based on that I took the chance and bought one. The difference isn't completely mind blowing, but the image is definitely crisper, with better overall detail than what my old toshiba did (and the tv did the upconvert). The difference is subtle, but its there. The thing is, with upconverting players generally costing around the $200 mark, is it completely unreasonable to hold off and just get an HD-DVD player...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks