What's new

Untitled: Almost Famous Bootleg Cut (worth a blind?) (1 Viewer)

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I just listed this as my #8 on the Top 100 releases list - That should be more than sufficient to show my opinion here...

Yup, get it...

Now...

What are you waiting for? Go!!!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Great movie and a terrific dvd. Highly Recommended. One of the top films of 2000. I need to go back to my list but I think I had it #2 just behind Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and just above Gladiator.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I was fortunate enough to pick up the Bootleg cut at Best Buy for $9.99 a few weeks ago during the sale.

Great movie, Great DVD, and worth it even at the normal price.

Sam_K

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the DVD because of all the highly-recommended reviews. I was disappointed. I didn't like it. I was bored to death. I guess this is not my type of movie.

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I believe so. I tried to look for it and couldn't find it. I just received a copy from Amazon.com Marketplace last week. Liked the Director's cut alot (with the exception of one or two scenes that really didn't need to be there at all).

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Gosh I disagree with this, Kate was just dead on and the scene where she reacts to the news of her "sale" for a case of beer was really perfect. With her real history to back her up, she knew that character inside and out.
"What kind of beer?"

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Bummer, just checked Amazon, the "Untitled" version is selling for $70.00 and UP.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just goes to show you what a difference the editing process can make in refining a particular film's pacing...Walter Parkes steamrollered his way into the pre-release cutting of Almost Famous, yet Cameron Crowe's extended "Untitled" edition is generally regarded as the better version.

Five years later, Crowe obtains "final cut" privileges on Elizabethtown, and the pared-down theatrical release is considered critically superior to the longer Toronto Film Festival edit. (Go figure.)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
just snagged a copy of this, and an incredible deal.

discovering this thread and the fact that this had gone out of print set me to trying to find a copy. following another poster's tip as to how he found a copy of the Buffy Chosen Collection set, i did a search of Border's inventory for stores throughout New England, and found two stores which still had copies, in Braintree, Mass. and Waterford, Conn.

called the Braintree store, and was informed by the clerk that they couldn't find it on their shelves, so I assumed it had been sold and the inventory not yet updated. Called the waterford store, and they said, yes, they still had a copy. after confirming that it was indeed the bootleg edition(black cover, three discs, etc), i asked them if they could hold it for me, and they agreed. but their policy is to only hold for three days, and i wasn't due to make a previously planned trip down to Conn. for a couple weeks. the woman said she would do her best, checking it every couple days, to make sure they would still keep it reserved.

so two weeks pass, and i make my trip down and arrive at the store. i tell the sales clerk that they're supposed to be holding a dvd for me, he looks, but can't find it. bummer, i assume it got put back on the shelf after all. check the shelves but can't find it, although the customer service computer terminal says that they have it in stock, and now i'm bumming cause it probably got sold . step back into line, hoping to convince the clerk to do a more thorough search for it, and finally arrive at the checkout to a different sales clerk. so i say to her that they are supposed to be holding the director's cut of Almost Famous for me, figuring i'kll have to relate the entire story of my hunt there for it, and she says, "oh yeah, i've seen that up here for a while now", and quickly grabs it from the shelf behind the counter(stupid moron first clerk :angry:).

so now, i'm ecstatic, and she scans it into her checkout, where the price comes up as $8.99. sticker on the front of the case is $34, and she calls her manager to confirm if she has to sell it for what it scanned at. and the manager confirms that, yes she does. so i get one of the few copies still remaining, and at a real steal as well. can't wait to get some time to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks