What's new

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Near as I can tell, yes, all the extras are included on the 4K theatrical version on iTunes (w/ the bootleg cut as a 1080p extra, including the commentary track, but no chapter stops).

IF you can wait, I'd recommend waiting for the next time there's a price drop. It'll likely drop down to $5 again at some point though you had just missed that a few weeks back, so it could be several months to a year before it drops quite that low again, but certainly, I'd wait at least a bit for it to drop back below $10 unless you really don't wanna wait at all...

_Man_
So if you buy the Bootleg Cut in 4K on iTunes, do you get the theatrical cut as an extra, and in what resolution? Is the only way to get both cuts in 4K to buy them separately? :(

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The non-steel book US release came out today & includes 4k discs of both theatrical and bootleg versions, as well as 4k digital.

I stupidly opened it before realizing it is Paramount, so the digital won't work with iTunes and Movies Anywhere.

What is wrong with the studios? Why can't Paramount get on board? What a joke.

I wish I had just bought the 4K versions on iTunes and skipped the disc. This may be the last 4K disc I buy. It's not worth the shell games. (Perhaps Paramount hopes to squeeze another sale out of digital film collectors)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What is wrong with the studios? Why can't Paramount get on board? What a joke.

There’s a significant licensing fee to join Movies Anywhere that Paramount and MGM don’t want to pay. They’re making a calculated business decision that the amount of sales they’ll lose for not supporting MA is less than the fees they’d pay for being in MA.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
There’s a significant licensing fee to join Movies Anywhere that Paramount and MGM don’t want to pay.

Whatever. It's ridiculous the studios cannot come up with a standard which will work for everyone. Movies Anywhere and its forefathers are all essentially ignored by the public. No one I know outside of forums like this even know what it means.

I was hoping to add this classic film to my digital library. If I can return it, I'll just buy the 4K digital version on iTunes when it goes back to $4.99 or $7.99. The apparent solution is to find one retailer you like (my case iTunes) and build your collection there. I don't need a separate digital collection at Paramount for 1 or 2 movies.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Paramount digital codes redeem directly at iTunes so if iTunes is what you prefer you should be all set. But I agree with the larger point, the industry attempted but failed at making a widely understood, universally adopted system and that’s crazy.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Paramount digital codes redeem directly at iTunes so if iTunes is what you prefer you should be all set. But I agree with the larger point, the industry attempted but failed at making a widely understood, universally adopted system and that’s crazy.
Really? That would be nice.

However, I tried this multiple times on the iTunes Store and it says it is invalid. I haven't used the code anywhere else yet. Is Paramount still doing this? I don't mean to derail this thread but I can't find any other information about entering Paramount digital codes on iTunes.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Really? That would be nice.

However, I tried this multiple times on the iTunes Store and it says it is invalid. I haven't used the code anywhere else yet. Is Paramount still doing this? I don't mean to derail this thread but I can't find any other information about entering Paramount digital codes on iTunes.

I also recently received my copy of that 4K disc release, but just haven't gotten around to opening it yet (though will very shortly). The back cover clearly indicates the DC should work for AppleTV/iTunes. You might just need to use the code thru Paramount's own site before it redirects you to iTunes (w/ a different iTunes-specific code). That seems to be how some studio's DCs work, including Paramount's IIRC...

I'm wondering which version of the digital it redeems on iTunes though -- I already own the 4K digital of the theatrical version w/ all the extras, including the director's cut albeit only in HD...

_Man_

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I also recently received my copy of that 4K disc release, but just haven't gotten around to opening it yet (though will very shortly). The back cover clearly indicates the DC should work for AppleTV/iTunes. You might just need to use the code thru Paramount's own site before it redirects you to iTunes (w/ a different iTunes-specific code). That seems to be how some studio's DCs work, including Paramount's IIRC...

I'm wondering which version of the digital it redeems on iTunes though -- I already own the 4K digital of the theatrical version w/ all the extras, including the director's cut albeit only in HD...

_Man_
Thanks for the tip! It worked. I see that text now - but it's literally microscopic, in ALL CAPS and then the impossible to read, white-text-on-black-background. But thanks!

Redeems the theatrical in 4K. Bootleg is included as an extra but only in HD.

This movie has had so multiple confusing packages, and they still can't get it right.

Love the new Outsiders 4K disc - it includes both the theatrical & directors cuts in 4K - on disc, but also 4K on digital. Also: simple to redeem, and qualified as Movies Anywhere. If they're going to release 4K discs and digital, do it right across the board. Not 75%.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I picked up the new non-steel book version on Tuesday and watched the bootleg cut with it's amazing commentary and loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks