What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just checked on that episode, and the song on the phonograph is indeed an instrumental.
Thank you very much for kindly checking the "Far Out Munsters" episode, Ben! That's disappointing Universal didn't use the release of The Munsters 2016 series reissue DVD set as an opportunity to extend the availability of the 3 episodes that had their original music restored beyond the U.S. based digital download sites (IE. Amazon), but it is what it is, I suppose!

CHEERS! :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Thank you very much for kindly checking the "Far Out Munsters" episode, Ben! That's disappointing Universal didn't use the release of The Munsters 2016 series reissue DVD set as an opportunity to extend the availability of the 3 episodes that had their original music restored beyond the U.S. based digital download sites (IE. Amazon), but it is what it is, I suppose!

CHEERS! :)

Not a problem! I think we were all wondering if Universal had indeed fixed the replacement problem on The Munsters.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I can confirm that The Waltons seasons 1-7 were all individually released as single-sided discs (I bought all 7 of them). Still holding out hope that seasons 8-9 will eventually get the same treatment.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
At the current time, the only way I can see Remington Steele being done as single-sided discs, is if Fox outsources it to somebody like Mill Creek. (For that matter, also other Fox flipper disc sets such as Reba, The Pretender, etc ...).

Do HD masters of Remington Steele exist?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Do HD masters of Remington Steele exist?

Good question.

Judging by the picture quality of the dvd sets, I'm guessing the show was probably edited on film and not videotape. Whether these dvd sets were actually mastered using a real 1080p (or higher) HD transfer, I don't know offhand.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll continue the line of thought on this thread which is more appropriate).

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...-carrington-colby.338425/page-19#post-4455666

Awhile ago at costco, I came across the "Flowers In The Attic" set of four tv telefilms released by Lionsgate back in late-2015. I was thinking of buying it at the time, until I noticed the package felt somewhat lighter in weight than is typical of a 4-disc set. So I didn't bother buying it.

Doing some more research online, I learned that that this particular 4-telefilm set was actually done as two double-sided flipper discs. Numerous complaints about this in the amazon comments for this set.

Fast forward to today, I came across two of the individual telefilm dvds in the dump bin at a local grocery store. ("If There Be Thorns" and "Petals On The Wind"). When I got home and checked these two dvd discs on the computer, I noticed they were both single-layer DVD5 type discs.

At this point I wonder if the other two telefilms ("Flowers In The Attic" and "Seeds of Yesterday") were also done as single-layer DVD5 type discs, and if the late-2015 4-telefilm flipper dvd set was done as two DVD10 type flipper discs (where each side is a single-layered DVD5 face).

The few Lionsgate double-sided flipper discs I have come across so far, were typically DVD10 type double-sided flipper discs where each side was a single-layered DVD5 face. (Typically movies with a fullscreen version on one side, and the widescreen version on the other side).

MattHR

Screenwriter
Good question.

Judging by the picture quality of the dvd sets, I'm guessing the show was probably edited on film and not videotape. Whether these dvd sets were actually mastered using a real 1080p (or higher) HD transfer, I don't know offhand.

I believe they switched from posting-on film to posting-on-video between seasons four and five. The drop in picture quality between these seasons is stark.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Today I found at a thrift shop for $3, the "Without A Trace" season 1 double-sided flipper disc set.

I figured it was relatively low risk, where the discs appeared to be in good condition with no scratches or even fingerprints.

After checking these flipper discs on the computer, I noticed the first three discs were DVD18 type flippers. The fourth disc was actually a single-sided single-layer disc with some special features, with no episodes.

At this point I would be very surprised if Warner ever reissued Without A Trace season 1 as single-sided discs. (Seasons 3 to 7 were only released as dvd-mod by Warner Archive over 2012-2014).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Fast forward to today, I came across two of the individual telefilm dvds in the dump bin at a local grocery store. ("If There Be Thorns" and "Petals On The Wind"). When I got home and checked these two dvd discs on the computer, I noticed they were both single-layer DVD5 type discs.

At this point I wonder if the other two telefilms ("Flowers In The Attic" and "Seeds of Yesterday") were also done as single-layer DVD5 type discs, and if the late-2015 4-telefilm flipper dvd set was done as two DVD10 type flipper discs (where each side is a single-layered DVD5 face).

I found "Seeds of Yesterday" in another dump bin yesterday evening. When I checked it on the computer, it is also a single-layer DVD5 type disk.

So the second double-sided flipper disk in the "Flowers In Attic" four telefilms set, is almost certainly a double-sided DVD10 type disc where each face is single-layered.

The question remaining is whether the first movie was also originally done as a single-layered DVD5 type disc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
After checking these flipper discs on the computer, I noticed the first three discs were DVD18 type flippers. The fourth disc was actually a single-sided single-layer disc with some special features, with no episodes.

When I examined this season 1 "Without a Trace" double-sided flipper disc set more closely, I noticed the content on disc 4 was just two special features, which were both small enough in size that in principle it could have fit onto sideB of the 3rd flipper disc.

SideB of the 3rd flipper disc was just two episodes, where the season finale episode was "extended" and edited together. (IIRC, the season 1 finale was aired as two separate episodes both in its original first-run and in syndication reruns).

(More generally).

If Warner were to ever re-release season 1 of "Without a Trace" as single-sided discs, I strongly suspect they will just repress the six sides of the three double-sided flipper discs, as six single-sided discs. Most likely they won't bother including the single-sided 4th disc.

In terms of past precedents, Warner did something like this for the single-sided discs re-release of CHiPS season 2, where they didn't bother including the 4th disc from the original flipper set. (The 4th disc was just special features with no episodes).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Season 1 of Emergency! being re-released on May 9, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Season-One-Kevin-Tighe/dp/B06X6MTQSN/

This four discs set would be consistent with them being single-sided discs. (The original version of season 1 was released as two double-sided flipper discs back in 2005).

Most likely it is the same version that was released last year in the Emergency complete series set.

No word yet on when the individual season 2 set will be re-released as single-sided discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I had to guess, the inventory of original season 1 Emergency flipper disc sets finally ran out recently.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I am very happy with the region free Buck Rogers set. I compared the Blu-Ray to standard DVD set. Big difference in PQ, and justification of the purchase.
I guess I will have to get a region free player for the following BD sets, as no American release has been annouced:

-The A-Team

-Magnum P.I.

-The Incredible Hulk

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Season 1 of Emergency! being re-released on May 9, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Season-One-Kevin-Tighe/dp/B06X6MTQSN/

This four discs set would be consistent with them being single-sided discs. (The original version of season 1 was released as two double-sided flipper discs back in 2005).

Most likely it is the same version that was released last year in the Emergency complete series set.

No word yet on when the individual season 2 set will be re-released as single-sided discs.

This upcoming May '17 redo of the first-season Emergency! release: what kind of packaging will it be? I have the Oct. '16 version, and that one's a keepcase.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
This upcoming May '17 redo of the first-season Emergency! release: what kind of packaging will it be? I have the Oct. '16 version, and that one's a keepcase.

The season 1 set which came with the Emergency! complete series set (released last year 2016), was just a generic viva case which holds four discs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming season 1 re-release is identical in packaging,

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is the October 2016 version the same thing? Much cheaper, but I only remember the complete series release happening last year.

This is no substitute for getting the new masters, ideally on Blu-Ray, but I'm still happy. Those early Universal flippers were awful and only would play without issue on my Playstation 3.

I hope season 2 of Emergency! (I had less issues here, but still would replace them) and season 1 of the other two Jack Webb shows get the same treatment.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I hope season 2 of Emergency! (I had less issues here, but still would replace them) and season 1 of the other two Jack Webb shows get the same treatment.

At this point, Universal is probably only going to re-release seasons 1 of Adam-12 and Dragnet 1967 as single-sided discs, once the old flipper inventory is sold out.

That is, unless Shout Factory decides to release complete series sets for Adam-12 and Dragnet 1967-1970, where most likely Shout will just do their own repressings of season 1.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That is, unless Shout Factory decides to release complete series sets for Adam-12 and Dragnet 1967-1970, where most likely Shout will just do their own repressings of season 1.

IIRC, I think you also said that Shout! would probably have their own redos of the first two seasons' worth of Hart to Hart (1979-81; Sony had originally done those) in their upcoming May all-in-one of that 1979-84 ABC series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks