What's new

Universal - another Monster Legacy Collection/Set soon???? (2 Viewers)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Does anyone know if the rest of the original monsters from the previous Univeral box sets will make it to another gift set - or at least in Legacy collections? Here is what should be available:

"The Mummy", "The Invisible Man", "Creature From the Black Lagoon", and "the Phantom of the Opera"

1: 'The Invisible Man' - 1933
2: 'The Invisible Man Returns' - 1940
3: 'The Invisible Woman' - 1940
4: 'Invisible Agent' - 1942
5: 'The Invisible Man's Revenge' - 1944

1: 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' - 1954
2: 'Revenge of the Creature' - 1955
3: 'The Creature Walks among Us' - 1956

1: 'The Mummy' - 1932
2: 'The Mummy's Hand' - 1940
3: 'The Mummy's Tomb' - 1942
4: 'The Mummy's Ghost' - 1944
5: 'The Mummy's Curse' - 1944

The only one they would have trouble with is Phantom. I can only find the 1943 version and one earlier silent of 1925. Were there any others after 1943 by Universal?

I would gladly by the above sets to complete my Legacy collection! I never purchased the origibal box sets so are my first dip.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Universal's "Phantom" Legacy set could have:

UCLA's restoration of the 1925 version (Kino dropped plans to distribute it)
The 1943 remake (and all the prior extras)
The Climax ("sequel" to Phantom '43)
The 1962 remake

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Further more Univeral has alot of Monster movies that would fit with the Creature to "Flesh" that out. How about the Deadly Mantis, Tarantula, The Monolith Monsters.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
When the new Phantom of the Opera comes out would be a great time to re-release it - Patrick's plan sounds great!

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
After sets featuring The Mummy, The Invisible Man, and the Creature, I imagine we'll get simply "Universal Monsters Collection" Vol. 1, 2, 3 and so on for all the miscellaneous films.

Personally, I think there's a major wasted oppurtunity on Universal's part. Instead of featuring interviews to plug Van Helsing on the Legacy collection discs, how about interviews or featurettes with surviving cast and crew? Elena Verdugo from House of Frankenstein is still alive, and I'm sure there's others I can't remember (Elyse Knox, mother of Marc Harmon, from The Mummy's Tomb is still around if Universal gets to those soon). Turhan Bey is still here, as well. These people aren't going to be around forever, and it would be nice to have their memories of some of these films recorded. But of course, doing something like that would make sense, so don't expect it from Universal.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd pick up a Mummy Legacy Collection to sit alongside the new gift set but I would probably not buy the others (Creature/Phantom).

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Not to mention MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and the countless number of sci-fi classics of the 1950s.

Universal has barely scratched the surface of what's in their vaults.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot about Murders in the Rue Morgue. One of my absolute favorites and one of the most underrated movies ever made (and I mean it, not just horror but movies in general).

There are so many goodies in their vaults. On top of that, we need a Hammer collection too. All of the Cushing Frankenstein films are on DVD EXCEPT (of course) the one Universal owns, Evil of Frankenstein (big surprise...)

Also, I think they own the forgotten Hammer masterpiece Captain Clegg. Perhaps it will surface some day.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
An EDGAR ALLEN POE legacy set would be nice, with THE BLACK CAT(1934), THE RAVEN(1935), MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE and the 1941 comedy remake of THE BLACK CAT.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
The HAMMER FILMS LEGACY, would be a welcome addition,
"BRIDES OF DRACULA"
"CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF"
"PHANTOM OF THE OPERA"-62
"KISS OF THE VAMPIRE"
"PARANOAIC"
"SHADOW OF THE CAT"

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Ever Allen Poe Legagy [drool like an idiot]. One can only hope.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
A CREATURE set would be great, but would be even greater if we wait a little while until a good television 3-D system is worked out.

I don't see Universal putting the effort to get UCLA's restoration of PHANTOM because they don't own the rights and it would mean extra cash.

I would certainly welcome a 1943 PHANTOM/CLIMAX double feature. The 1962 version would fit nicely with some other Hammer titles (CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF-- anyone out there listening?!)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Karloff and Lugosi with:

The Black Cat
The Raven
The Invisible Ray
Black Friday

They could also throw on Son of Frankenstein if they wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks