What's new

(un)Official HTF Greater Cincinnati Meet (V.3) (1 Viewer)

Pat Dungan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Its been a hectic couple of days for me....basically I am taking a new job and trying to tie up some loose ends at my current position. This all came up pretty quickly at work. :frowning:

Anyway, I dont think I'm going to have the time to host a shootout...but I can say that I am most likely going to sell the panny and keep the sony. :)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I'd like to hold a small meet the weekend before the Super Bowl.

My family room HT is up and running, and for what it is, doesn't look or sound bad. I would also like to get some input from you guys on my plans for a dedicated room downstairs. I even have it taped off, Les Nessman style!

Since the family room HT turned out so good, I'm seriously thinking that I would like to use the downstairs for a 2 channel listening room and upgrade to higher end speakers and gear!!

After the short time I was able to listen to Dre's 2 channel set up, it made me realize that I like to listen to 2 channel music more than watching movies. You guys aren't going to kick me out of the group for saying that are you. :D

Anyone interested in a get together, let me know. BTW, my family room HT only seats 3 people comfortably, but their is room to squeeze 3 or 4 more in to the area.

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

I'll be happy to come to the meet. I'll even give up the prime seats if you serve sausage. I just have to find it before Mike! :)

As far as the downstairs goes, you could start out with the 2-channel rig if that's what you really want to do. Then later, build the HT around it.

I think you can have a very good 2-channel system and still have an excellent HT built around it.

Dre

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thanks Dre!

I have a full blown Magnepan system sitting downstairs with a big 5 channel amp. I will need to buy a sub as I've decided to keep my SVS PC-Ultra up in the family room. My MC1.6 Q/R main speakers sounded good at my other house, but they were not set up for optimal performance in 2 channel. I think just getting that big RPTV out from between them should help the sound stage a bunch.

I told the wife that I would probably start out with a music (2 or 5 channel) room at first. I really would like to have a very good 2 channel sound above all else!!

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Mike, I don't know much about amps...maybe Dre or Pat would be more help for you in that area. I have an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 5 channel amp, I don't know how well it is regarded, but it is big and it is powerful. 300wpc x 5 @ 8 ohms and 600wpc x 5 @ 4 ohms, which is what my maggies are rated!!

Some of the amps I hear about are Crown, Krell, Bryston, Rotel, Creek, Linn and so on.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Hi guys........

Well I finally got the bug and added two Paradigm Atoms to the rear of my upstairs theater and also added the bass shakers (4) in the middle of the room underneath the floor.

I hooked the bass shakers up to an old prologic Kenwood receiver and set it on the prologic mode. They are working very well.

I've worked hard on balancing them in the system this weekend. I normally want them felt but not overly noticed.

My wife knew something was going on but thought those rears speakers accomplished all that vibration.......Ha

Anyway, I have them setup so that I can increase the volume if I want a little more help.

I'm very happy.

Now, I'm thinking of my upgrade routes.........new amp, new sub and them new mains for the downstairs.

When I get it where I want - I'll have a meet. Well, maybe before that!

Mike

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
You have the bass shakers under your floor? How does that work? Why not connect them to the furniture?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
LaMarcus,

We all got to experience the under floor bass shaker thing over at Dre's a few weeks ago.

Mike ain't nothin but a big ol' copy cat!!

BTW, it really is a great HT tweak!!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
LaMarcus:

I would have been like you had I not experienced Dre's theater.

I was not going to use bass shakers becuase I did not want to mount the to the furniture that my wife seem to move from time to time.

I set the bass according to I believe what I remember of Dre's instructions - Mount to the sub floor together. I went the day of the meet to parts express and bought 4. It was very easy to mount to the sub floor.

Anyway, I beleive Dre used a term like "forcing cone" in describing the effect in the room.

I get a very balanced effect at half volume on the old Kenwood receiver and cranking it up - it becomes very noticable like at Dre's.

In the basement, I'll have to figure out how to get the bass shakers on the furniture.

As far as being a copy cat - your right Alan.....Great job Dre - thanks.

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I hope all of you guys can come over the weekend before the Super Bowl. I would really like for Pat to find the time to be here, since he has the experience of building his dedicated HT room, he could probably give me some good pointers on my up coming project!!

Mike, when you see something like the under floor shakers, and it works for you also, that's great. That is one of the benefits of us all getting together. I really would like to see your place some time. I still feel bad that I couldn't make your first meet.

Take care!!

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Glad to hear they are working out for you! Did you get a pair of F-mod Low-pass filters while you were at Parts express? 50Hz seems to work well for me. This will keep the shakers from being very active in the upper sub frequencies.

Alan,
Right now it looks like I'll be able to make it. However, you haven't given us a time and day yet! I stopped by Audible Elegance on Wednesday and Marty told me you had mentioned you visited me.

LaMarcus,
You are welcome to come visit. Maybe after or before Alan has the meet you can stop by since you will be down this way.

Pat,
How is the projector coming along?

Dre

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Dre:

I see how you are........just keep me coming back for a little more information......yeah.......Ha

I have the corssover on the receiver set at 50 Hz for the sub. Do you think this is sufficient?

I know it's sick but I miss you too LaMarcus!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks