1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

(un)Official HTF Greater Cincinnati Meet (V.3)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by LaMarcus, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Great guys!! How about starting between 2:00 and 2:30 Sunday afternoon. I will e-mail directions to all of you.

Well, I knew I was in trouble when I took a job that is only 5 minutes away from Audible Elegance!! I stopped tonight after work and picked up a sub to compliment my maggie 1.6QR's. I wanted a sub that would be a good match, fast and tight bass. I bought a MartinLogan Depth subwoofer. I just got it hooked up about an hour ago and am still fiddling with placement and controls. But the addition of the sub tightened the sound of the maggies up right away. I got the only one they had, so I got the floor model at a discount!! Here is a link describing the Depth...

http://www.martinlogan.com/depth_speaker.html#none

I have 7 days to return it if it doesn't work out, but I doubt if that will happen. Hopefully you guys will like it as well as I do!!

Looking forward to Sunday. E-mails will be sent out tomorrow night. Right now, I've got to get back downstairs and play!!

LaMarcus....where are you?? [​IMG]

I think I got the Depth tuned in pretty good last night....sounds really, really sweet!!

2. Alan Pummill

Directions have been sent to all of you via e-mail.

Hope to see you Sunday!!

3. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Gentlemen, I'm afraid I have to bow out. My brother is in town from Florida as a surprise for his girlfriend, and Sunday looks to be the only "family time" he's granting everyone else. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll do my best to make the next one.

4. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Alan:

Just would like to thank you for your hospitality today. Well, you guys have me a believer in the two channel stuff. That Maynard song about brought tears to my eyes.

I brought it home and my system ain't even close.

Well, maybe someday. Hope you guys had enough summer sausage!

See ya all soon.

Mike

5. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

Thanks for hosting the meet. I had a great time. It's always fun the get to listen to other systems. Both of your systems sound very good. I like your thoughts on making the downstairs system heavily audio biased.

You have a lot of things to try and adjust while you work your system into what it is you want it to be. I hope you are enjoying the time as you change things out and experiment along the way.

Thanks again for the great time,
    Dre

6. Alan Pummill

Mike, Pat, Tom, and Dre,

Really enjoyed having everyone over yesterday!! As you can tell, I have a lot of decisions to make regarding my downstairs room and system. But it will be fun!!

Enjoyed the helpful input that all of you had. Thanks for your help on my family room HT, Mike!! And I really appreciate that great DVD, Pat!! And Dre and Tom gave me some great advice on my future 2 channel upgrades!!

I really do think that high end 2 channel is in the future for me and my room. Now, I have to start thinking about the best way to get there!!

My wife gets a kick out of our little hobby and our meets....she says "We are a bunch of big boys playing with our big toys!

Hope to see you all again real soon!!

7. Pat Dungan

Pat Dungan Stunt Coordinator

Hey Al,

Had a blast! Sorry I had to leave so early.

Those Maggies were really nice to hear...a different sound for sure from the B&Ws upstairs. [​IMG]

pat

8. Pat Dungan

Al, I meant to tell you...if you want a really nice two channel setup, you should consider listening to the Onix Reference Three's. I've heard the Ref 1's and 2's and they sound *really* nice.

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...eakers&brand=9

They are a pretty big step up from the Rocket line when it comes to soundstage and detail. In fact, at the sale prices I'm tempted to get a pair of Ref 2's for a two channel setup...

9. Alan Pummill

Look like nice speakers...where did you get to listen to them at?? Buy the Ref 2's so I can come over and listen to them...[​IMG]

I could step up to Magnepan 3.6's for that kind of dough!! The Ref 1's would have to be really good. I have listened to the 3.6's over at the store....they are awesome. I don't know if I could or would ever go back to a box speaker...but then again, I haven't listened to many in that price range. I'm sure there are several that I should listen to before I make a move!!

Thanks for the heads up!!

10. ChrisYount

ChrisYount Auditioning

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and looking for help.
    I am very interested in the Wharfedale Evo series speakers, but I cannot find any dealers near me. Do any of you know where i can audition these speakers? I live in Dayton, OH.

Thanks

11. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

LaMarcus
    Hey Chris, a local yocal great. We should hook up some time to see each other's theaters. I need to host a meet anyway. Let every body check out the new digs. I really want Pat to see it so he can tell me how it compares to the Panny 700, especially since he didn't like it.

12. Alan Pummill

Welcome to the HTF, Chris!!

Carlin Audio, in Kettering, had the Evo 30's and 40's. I auditioned them prior to my purchase of Magnepan speakers!! I really liked the Evo 40's!!

Here is a link to directions and a phone number for the store!!

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q=carlin+audio&near=Dayton,+OH&sa=X&oi=locald&radius=0.0&latlng=39758888,-84191666,7301098790143401985[/url

Chris,

I just called Carlin Audio, they stopped stocking the Wharfedale speaker line several months ago. Sorry.

13. ChrisYount

ChrisYount Auditioning

Guys,

Thanks for the rapid responses.

LaMarcus:
    That would be great when I finish my setup.

Sleepy Al:
    Can you comment on the difference between the Evo 30's and 40's. I am leaning toward the Evo 30's based on their size.
    What speaker would you compare the Evo's too? I have heard them compared to B&W 700's. Love their sound, but not the price. Can you be as descriptive as possible about the sound? I may purchase these blind. I greatly appreciate all the help.

Chris

14. Alan Pummill

Chris,

Evo 30 = B&W 600 series
    Evo 40 = B&W 700 series

But I think the Evo's have a wider soundstage. The one thing I didn't like about the Evo series is the smallish center and surrounds that went with them!!

I recently bought a pair of B&W 602.5 mains and a LCR600 center along with 4 LM1 surrounds for a HT in my family room and I am very happy with them!!

You are welcome to come to my place to demo the B&W's!!

15. Pat Dungan

Hey Lamarcus,

I've heard that Panny has fixed a couple of the problems I had with the 700...notably the HDMI blanking.

I think the 700 is decent if you get one with no VB...but the one I had was unacceptable and I'm much happier with the HS51.

All,

I got a great deal on the Rocket RS1000's...should have them next week. For those not familiar with the rockets, check out www.av123.com

16. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Chris,

You didn't happen to live North here before, did you? Possibly a Midpark alumn?

George

17. ChrisYount

ChrisYount Auditioning

George,

Sure didn't. I have been in dayton all my life.

Chris

18. ChrisYount

ChrisYount Auditioning

Sleepy Al

Thanks for the info. Do you think the EVO 40's are worth $750.00? I would love to come see your setup. We will have to set something up.

Chris

19. Alan Pummill

Chris,

That sounds like a good price foe the EVO 40's....GO FOR IT!!

20. Alan Pummill

Hey Gang,

I recently posted a message on the MUG (Magnepan Users Group) about the Champion Basement System that you have all seen on TV. I stopped and looked at their showroom last night after work. The salesman told me that the walls absorb 95% of the sound that hits it. I don't know if I believe that or not.

If you get the time, check out the debate that my post brought out between 2 members. One saying it would hurt the maggies, the other saying it would help. To those of you that have been over and seen my room and heard my maggies, I would really value YOUR take on this topic!!

It will probably be down the page a little!!

Thanks!!
    http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html