What's new

Upgrade recommendations from Optoma HD20 (1080P) Projector (1 Viewer)

neuropathy

Auditioning
Real Name
James Shaffer
Hi everyone,

I built an HTPC in 2009 or so and got an Optoma HD20 1080P projector that it's been connected to ever since. It's an older HTPC now (socket 775), but I upgraded it with a Xeon quad core and an SSD pretty recently. It runs well still! I'm not sure how it'll handle 4K. I bought the projector on Newegg when it was a great site (didn't have 3rd party sellers, review system was excellent) and I simply found the projector by judging based on price and good ratings.

My question is about the projector. I've repaired the Optoma many times - replaced the lamp, cleaned it, color wheel, fixed fans. It's really on its last legs and it's buzzing a lot, which is annoying, so I think it's time to donate this one to goodwill and get another projector. After I have another one, I might tinker with the Optoma HD20 again and see if I can get it to stop buzzing, but it's been taking a lot of effort to deal with that lately (it has to be opened and closed each time to test if it's OK - can't bench test it while it's open). It started to warp at some point and I think the color wheel was getting scratched by a piece of the housing. I just don't have time to get into it any more with everything else going on, so I've decided to bite the bullet and replace it - I tend to be very frugal, so this is a big purchase for me.

I'd rather not spend too much - under $1600, let's say. Hopefully somewhere between $900 and $1200 or so, though.

Would you get a 1080P or 4K projector? I don't know how much I'd benefit from 4K at this point since I don't have a 4K projector now, but a lot of the material I watch is in 1080P anyway. I'm just thinking about the future - if I keep this new projector for another 10 years. It could be good to have a 4K projector.

Is Optoma still building good projectors?

Any particular models that you'd suggest that are available currently?

I mostly watch the English Premier League (soccer), Netflix, shows and movies.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone recommends these days.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In your price range of ~$1000...

Wirecutter recommends the BenQ HT2050A Movie Projector

ProjectorCentral has a list of 10 options. They also include that Benq

CNet also likes the Benq as a good value

neuropathy

Auditioning
Real Name
James Shaffer
Thank you - I think I'm headed toward a more expensive projector, after all - looking at the Epson 4010 (around $2000 - hopefully I can find some coupons to use somewhere online). Is there anything in that price range you'd recommend over the 4010? I did a good amount of research and that's where I wound up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks