What's new

(un)Official HTF Greater Cincinnati Meet (V.3) (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Please guys, you are all making me feel so lonely!!

I'd like to have you all come over next Sunday, the 30th, say about 2:00. Now. my family room HT is up and running, but my maggies aren't. I may just do a quick 2 channel set up in the basement so that we can all have a better idea of the speaker placement issues that my yet to be built dedicated room will have.

Dre, I work in Blue Ash, about 3 miles from Audible Elegance. I have bought 2 entire 5 channel speaker systems in there within the last year. Magnepan and B&W. They are a great source for advice and equipment!!

LaMarcus, Mike, Pat, Dre, (and your friend Tom), are all welcome. My family room HT is what it is. Help me make my basement room into what I am dreaming of!!

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

It's really up to yo to decide if the Shakers are too active or not. If they are then adding more crossovers for the shakers will lower their active range. You have two throttles, the gain or volume and the active frequency controlled by the filter or crossover.

Using this combination you can adjust the shakers for the intended impact you want them to have.

For example, when you were here I had the gain on the shakers (only) increased by almost 2dB. :)

Dre

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

If you need some help setting up the Maggies before the meet, let me know. I'm only about 12 minutes away.

Dre

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
You guys all live so close. I'm up here all alone with no HT friends :frowning: Hopefully when me and my girlfriend are finish with college I'll be moving back to Cincinnati, then I can hang with you guys more. We should be graduating come June. Hopefully we'll live down there by September at the lastest. Depending on if we don't build, if we build no telling when we'll actually move in down there.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
LaMarcus,

Remember when I suggested that George and Ferdinand start a Cleveland thread for HTF meets. It seems that they have quite a crew up there by now.

Maybe you could start a DAYTON thread....now don't get me wrong, I want you to be a part of our meets down here as well. And I'm sure if you invited us up there, we would come!!

To All,

Speaking of meets, I'd like to postpone my upcoming get together until the weekend AFTER the Super Bowl. I have been off work since last Thursday with diverticulitis. I just about ended up in the hospital. I am going back to work this morning, Tuesday. But I didn't get some things done around the house that I needed to do, and it would be better for me if we couldn't push this meet back 2 weeks!!

I hope you all understand!!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
This would be better for me because I was going to have to miss this weekend because of my Mom's birthday.

See in February!

Alan: My Dad has dealt with this illness for years also. I'm afraid I'll get it too.

Anyway, I eat almost nothing with seeds in it because of this possbility. Dad had an operation for it in the 70's and they thought he had appendicitus and instead found a blackberry seed stuck in his colon.

Yuch! Hope you feel better.

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Pat, Mike, or Dre,

I'm electrically challenged. I need to install a 20 amp wall plug in my basement to run my amp to. The circuit is 20 amps, but the plug is a 15 amp plug. The amp's manual says to use a 20 amp plug.

Are any of you guys able to help me with this probably easily done task. I have changed light switches before, but never an electrical outlet!!

I'm dying to listen to my maggies once again!!

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Sure Alan.

e-mail me with a phone number. I can stop by Monday night and get the circuit installed before I head home.

Dre

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Thank you for your gracious offer of help, Dre. I will e-mail you my phone number and address.

Unfortunately, Monday evening is not good for me as we are closing on our house that we sold up in Middletown. We will be in Monroe at 4:30 for that. I also need to stop by Home Depot and get a wall plug. I will be available any other night at your convenience.

Thanks Dre, I feel so silly asking for help on this, but I can just see the smoke and sparks that would probably result from my installation!!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Alan:

Is 20 amps enough for all that gear you have?

You might need two 20 amp circuits for all that stuff you have at peak load. How much current does that amp pull?

I'll be busy most of the week. If my schedule clears up before Dre - I'll be over.

Mike

Mike

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Mike, when I remodel the basement, I am going to have a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed just for the amp. I ran all of my gear at the other house on one 20 amp circuit. It seemed to run OK. I wonder if I should have another one run in for a sub??

Dre called me last night and said he will stop over tonight to install a new plug for me. I really appreciate the offer of help, Mike!!

We closed on our old house last night, what a relief!! Now it's time to get serious about that basement!!

Pat Dungan

Stunt Coordinator
Al,

make sure that when you do the circuits that they are on the same leg of power (you should have two x 110v legs). If you split gear across legs, you may run into grounding problems.

Also...my big crown amp has a 20a plug...I just made an adapter to plug it into a standard 15a outlet...the adapter makes it easy to use the amp anywhere there is a 15a outlet...

Pat Dungan

Stunt Coordinator
One other note of caution Al...

just because the breaker is 20a...it doesnt necessarily mean the wire running from the panel to the outlet is 12/2 romex. If its 14/2 then the wire is still only rated for 15a....which *could* be a dangerous situation with a 20a breaker.

I guess what i'm saying is...be careful. Dont just assume the wire can handle the current because something is wrong if there is a 20a breaker but only a 15a outlet (15a outlets dont *easily* accept 12/2 wire)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Pat,
Thanks for the heads up. Dre was over last night to swap out the outlet and commented that he thought the wire looked like 14 ga. I will make sure my dedicated circuit is at least 12 ga. I hope you can make it over for our get together the weekend after the Super Bowl...details are pending!!

Dre,
Again....THANKS MAN!! It took you all of 5 minutes, and my house isn't on fire. That probably wouldn't have been the case had I done this myself!! :b

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Dre, Pat, Mike, LaMarcus,...

Are any of you still interested in getting together this weekend?? Which day would be best?? I'm just using you guys to get ideas about upgrades and remodeling!! :b

I really am thinking that my basement is going to become a listening room for a very nice 2 channel system...thinking of many upgrades. I do have my 2 largest maggies hooked up downstairs, but as you will see, I need to remodel and get a good musical sub for down there. (Rel Strata III)

My family room HT is OK, but that is not a good room for serious music listening. Any input or suggestions about what to do downstairs would be appreciated.

If anyone could bring, and leave for me, a copy of that DTS, DD, demo DVD, that would be great!!

David, or anyone else is invited, even though you don't live in the area!!

Dre J

Stunt Coordinator
Alan,

I'm available Saturday between noon and 3PM
I'm available Sunday after 2PM

Dre

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Saturday is out for me as well, but any time after lunch on Sunday would be fine.

Perhaps I can have my girlfriend's family overnight some boudin from Louisiana. We'll put all of your sausage to shame. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks