What's new

International UK releasing (5) Randolph Scott Westerns on Blu-ray. (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This set is a must have. I have been extremely impressed with every Indicator disc I have seen so far and their cases and booklets have a quality equaled by no one right now except maybe criterion. I love TT, Kino, Criterion and sometimes Olive but I'm just being honest. I don't doubt some of their transfers may not be new but Their Harryhausen and Hammers have had excellent transfers and in the case of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad the best transfer yet. Castle Keep was supposedly an older master but looks great. I have no doubt these will be night and day over the DVDs.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
No....login to Amazon US like you normally do. Then, there is an option at the very bottom of the page to switch to the UK site. No Prime benefits, but the VAT tax will NOT be included in the final sale price since you're not a British taxpayer. All your account info (credit cards, etc) will be there just like the US site.

I never had to go “through” the US site like that. It's just a link, after all. When I first got region-free capability I decided to experiment by going direct to the Amazon dot uk site, wondered if I could just pump in my existing Amazon login and password, did so, and bang, I was in.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I never had to go “through” the US site like that. It's just a link, after all. When I first got region-free capability I decided to experiment by going direct to the Amazon dot uk site, wondered if I could just pump in my existing Amazon login and password, did so, and bang, I was in.
You can do that. I do it the way I outlined because the tablet I use for ordering always has the Amazon app running so I'm always entering via the US site.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Yup. That goes also for the Amazon sites from Germany, France, Spain or Italy just like the Canadian site from Amazon.

It's different with the Japanese Amazon, there you have to create a new account.

Don't know about Amazon Brazil, Mexico or so.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks for assisting, I placed my order through Amazon UK. I'm really looking forward to the set.

Welcome to worldwide Amazon shopping. My little collection would be so much poorer without Blu-rays from, Amazon US, France, Italy & most esp. Germany. I think they're the stars when it comes to catalogue releases, & you can translate the German site (well a lot of it anyway) by clicking the little box under the magnifying glass icon & choosing English, trust the Germans to do it right.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Me too! There's a ton of extras & it's region free.

FIVE TALL TALES: BUDD BOETTICHER & RANDOLPH SCOTT AT COLUMBIA, 1957-1960

THE TALL T (1957)
DECISION AT SUNDOWN (1957)
BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE (1958)
RIDE LONESOME (1959)
COMANCHE STATION (1960)

Release date: 21 May 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (Blu-ray premieres) - pre-order here

Five classic, iconic and slyly subversive westerns collected on Blu-ray for the very first time. Containing a selection of new and archival extras – including interviews with director Budd Boetticher and an appreciation by film critic Kim Newman – this collectable five-disc box set also contains an 80-page book with newly commissioned essays, archival interviews and full credits, and is strictly limited to 6,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• 2K restoration of Ride Lonesome
• HD restorations of The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone and Comanche Station
• Original mono audio
• The John Player Lecture with Budd Boetticher (1969): archival audio interview conducted by Horizons West author Jim Kitses at the National Film Theatre, London
• The Guardian Interview with Budd Boetticher (1994): an extensive filmed interview conducted by film historian David Meeker at the National Film Theatre, London
• Budd Boetticher on the Ranown Cycle (1999): excerpts from Eckhart Schmidt's documentary Visiting... Budd Boetticher
• Kim Newman on the Ranown Cycle (2018): an appreciation and analysis by the critic and author of Wild West Movies
• The Guardian Interview with Elmore Leonard (1997): the celebrated author, and writer of the short story upon which The Tall T is based, in conversation at London's National Film Theatre
• Original theatrical trailers
• Ride Lonesome trailer commentary (2013): a short critical appreciation by filmmaker John Sayles
• Comanche Station trailer commentary (2014): a short critical appreciation by screenwriter Sam Hamm
• Image galleries: extensive promotional and on-set photography, poster art and marketing materials
• Limited Edition exclusive 80-page book containing newly commissioned essays by Pamela Hutchinson, Glenn Kenny, James Oliver, Neil Sinyard and Farran Smith Nehme, archival interviews with director Budd Boetticher and screenwriter Burt Kennedy, a critical anthology, and full film credits
• World Blu-ray premieres of The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone and Ride Lonesome
• UK Blu-ray premiere of Comanche Station
• Limited Edition Box Set of 6,000 numbered copies
• ...AND MORE TBC
• All extras subject to change

#PHILTD062
BBFC cert: 12
REGION FREE
EAN: 5037899071298
Day 1 purchase marvellous release and the DVD set already out is good but in Bluray it will be on an improved level not to be missed..

DavidDu

Auditioning
Real Name
David Duffy
Would someone please post impressions once this is received?

I assume a region-free player is required, since I can’t find any indication that the release is itself region-free. That lets me out for now.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I assume a region-free player is required, since I can’t find any indication that the release is itself region-free. That lets me out for now.

Here is a mouse over for Comanche Station, this is the German release:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=9987&d2=9986&s1=97139&s2=97131&i=4&l=0

The DVD's were pretty good so the improvement is not quite as big as it would be with other movies that used to have a really bad DVD release but there is still a significant improvement that is bigger when viewing both the DVD and the Blu-ray in motion and at a reasonable viewing distance.

Last edited:

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
I bought these when they came out on DVD several years ago and haven't removed the shrink wrap yet. This was a nostalgic purchase -- they were popular during my college days when I liked westerns and some friends and I really liked Randolph Scott. I even stole the Buchanan name, and sometimes use the name Sam Buchanan as my own to this day. Not sure I will enjoy them now, but I hope to watch them before I die. :laugh:.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

The set is region free, it states it in the specs, look at the end of the second post.

DavidDu

Auditioning
Real Name
David Duffy
The set is region free, it states it in the specs, look at the end of the second post.

Wow. Now I actually have to decide to decide whether to double dip, like I usually do... I have the dvd set and have enjoyed it, besides loving westerns.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'll just say it again - whenever Mr. Crisp gets around to these, they will look amazing. The German Blu of Commanche Station is obviously done from the old master - it wasn't that pleasing to my eyeballs.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'll just say it again - whenever Mr. Crisp gets around to these, they will look amazing. The German Blu of Commanche Station is obviously done from the old master - it wasn't that pleasing to my eyeballs.

I kind of like the idea of these looking as good as The Man from Laramie but it is hard to say when that will happen. Certainly Sony has titles that could be improved a lot more like The Last Frontier or Barabbas and I would prefer to see work being done on them first, especially Barabbas.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I would look forward to Barabbas because the DVD was a travesty. So many wonderful films still to come.

Yes, I was so excited to buy the early DVD, but couldn't get past the first ten minutes, it looked so awful, & I was a lot less fussy in those days. The last time I saw this was at the National Film Theatre, the print had some nasty tramline scratches, but looked good apart from that. I hope the crack team at Sony have been doing the biz with this film.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I would look forward to Barabbas because the DVD was a travesty. So many wonderful films still to come.

The DVD was not very good and that is even more true for the European Blu-ray release.

I think that some higher up people at Sony were rather surprised that all of the large format movies held by Sony are now out on Blu-ray but only one really has got a proper and in fact excellent Blu-ray (LoA) and all the others are among the worst large format releases ever on Blu-ray because they come from very old DVD era masters that nobody ever intended to be used for a Blu-ray release.

Last edited:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Dave, did that email specify the rescheduled date? Amazon.uk and the powerhouse product page both currently report 28 May as the release date:

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/pr...etticher-randolph-scott-at-columbia-1957-1960

Text from the email message I received states:

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

"Five Tall Tales: Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott At Columbia, 1957-1960 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]"
Estimated arrival date: June 08 2018 - June 13 2018

One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks