What's new

International UK releasing (5) Randolph Scott Westerns on Blu-ray. (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Seven Men is alas Paramount and god only knows what if ever anything will ever stir from their deep catalogue again. Is Andrea Kalas still VP Archive?

Keep forgetting to mention this: THe new box has a fabulous run of extras and a big booklet but they couldn't get the rights for Dave Kehr's excellent feature length doco from the Sony DVD boxset, "A Man can do That". So keep the Sony DVD boxset for it.
It's only the DVD with "The Tall T" on it that you have to keep as all the other material is in the Blu-ray set.

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Truly a shame that the excellent Scott/Andre DeToth western THE BOUNTY HUNTER has never had a 3-D release, even in 1954. Warner Bros. has complete left/right elements. It's also widescreen ...

It took a while but I found a 2D MOD DVD of BOUNTY HUNTER on eBay and bought it just to see this film. It's one of Scott's better films and really deserves a fresh scan of the OCN and a 3D Blu-ray release! The enjoyable THE STRANGER WORE A GUN needs similar treatment!

What does it take to encourage the films' owners to release these?

7 MEN FROM NOW is a neglected masterpiece and is waaaaay overdue for a fresh scan from the OCN and needs a Blu-ray (4K) release. (And I'd pay good money for a music score CD of this one.)

I wish Mr Crisp & Co HAPPY HOLIDAYS and applaud their efforts towards restoring the Scott/Boetticher films to their full glory and hope to see a full-fledged domestic release sooner than later. I'm not getting any younger waiting for these on Blu-ray.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
It took a while but I found a 2D MOD DVD of BOUNTY HUNTER on eBay and bought it just to see this film. It's one of Scott's better films and really deserves a fresh scan of the OCN and a 3D Blu-ray release! The enjoyable THE STRANGER WORE A GUN needs similar treatment!

What does it take to encourage the films' owners to release these?

7 MEN FROM NOW is a neglected masterpiece and is waaaaay overdue for a fresh scan from the OCN and needs a Blu-ray (4K) release. (And I'd pay good money for a music score CD of this one.)

I wish Mr Crisp & Co HAPPY HOLIDAYS and applaud their efforts towards restoring the Scott/Boetticher films to their full glory and hope to see a full-fledged domestic release sooner than later. I'm not getting any younger waiting for these on Blu-ray.

I agree about 7 Men From Now, it's one of my favorite Scott films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve placed my order. I completely understand why some will prefer to wait for the eventual “Crisp” editions. For me it’s more a matter of acceptable quality at a decent price. At approximately $12 per title versus the $30 each that you will have to pay from a boutique label, it’s an offer I can’t refuse. I know Robert says he will double dip, but I won’t go that far. These will be it for me. I don’t always demand perfection. I was having a private conversation with another forum member and we had a friendly argument over the Blu-ray releases of Cover Girl. I had bought the Twilight Time disc and was completely happy with it, but he insisted the Eureka version was vastly superior and couldn’t imagine how I could possibly live with the disc that he thought was garbage!
@Mark-P I've changed my mind!:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finished the box set today and I'm happy with it. If something better comes along and I'm still here, I'll buy it again, but until then, I had a great time revisiting all five titles this week.
Well, it looks like nothing better is coming except they're selling the same titles individually now at $37.99 MSRP each.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow, the prices for the individual discs are quite steep. I am glad I bought the set back when it came out. It now looks like it was a steal back then. I thought the picture quality was very good for all the features.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
No idea where you get the prices from bbut if you just have a look at their website you will find them to be a lot more reasonable:
I did not do the math but the individual discs are certainly less than 20$ and there are savings to be had with regard to shipping and they would probably even deduct VAT if/when shipping to the US.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
No idea where you get the prices from bbut if you just have a look at their website you will find them to be a lot more reasonable:
I did not do the math but the individual discs are certainly less than 20$ and there are savings to be had with regard to shipping and they would probably even deduct VAT if/when shipping to the US.
With registered shipping to the US, it ends up being $30-34 for one disc, depending on the exchange rate next month, which is a bit cheaper than Amazon, but not all that much. Seeing that I got the box set from Amazon UK for $36 including shipping, I would say it was a much better deal.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
With registered shipping to the US, it ends up being $30-34 for one disc, depending on the exchange rate next month, which is a bit cheaper than Amazon, but not all that much. Seeing that I got the box set from Amazon UK for just over $40 including shipping, I would say it was a much better deal.

The box set shipped at less than $40 sounds more like a pricing error than a regular price, good for you!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I should’ve bit on this way back when too. Oh well. My lottery fantasies are rarely about trips to Tahiti; they’re about preordering everything! :D

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The box set shipped at less than $40 sounds more like a pricing error than a regular price, good for you!
Indicator had it on sale back in January just before it went out of print. I think it was 32 pounds, but I could be mistaken. I was going to get it but decided to check Amazon.uk & they had it for 28 pounds. so of course I bought it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Indicator had it on sale back in January just before it went out of print. I think it was 32 pounds, but I could be mistaken. I was going to get it but decided to check Amazon.uk & they had it for 28 pounds. so of course I bought it.
That's a fantastic deal, Amazon probably had the same price but they deducted the VAT for you which is very convenient.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Have this set as well, my personal opinion being a giant fan of Westerns, it was the set of the year when it was released. I preordered it and don't recall what I paid. I have set 2674. Great set of pictures that was a bargain and a must have if you are into Westerns and/or short well crafted tales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks