What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order King Kong (1976) (4k UHD Combo SteelBook) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would rate the American Kong films as follows.

King Kong 1933
King Kong 2005
King Kong 1976
Son Of Kong 1933
King Kong vs Godzilla
Godzilla X Kong
Kong Skull Island (ugh!).
King Kong Lives

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
It was profitable ($24M budget vs. $91M worldwide gross), but it did not meet expectations of the producer or studio: "DeLaurentiis claimed that the film would outgross the previous year's Jaws and Paramount expected it to gross $150 million." (Wikipedia/NYT)

I've never really warmed to this film, somewhat due to the marketing which showed a massive Kong standing atop the WTC, his stance spanning both towers (or his arms nearly spanning the width of the building while climbing), then we get this barely visible furry lump on the corner of a single tower:

View attachment 219356

Plus, I always thought the using the name Dwan was really dumb. The first time I read it in print I thought it had to be a typo.
The poster was marketing and was created early in production. this is akin to criticizing Alien because there wasn’t an egg that cracked open with a light that came out. Its marketing. I enjoyed the film. It has a camp charm and the actors do a great job with their characters. Dwan was always meant to be dumb.

Now I wouldn’t call it a great film but it is entertaining. It’s also nowhere near the best Kong film but it’s still enjoyable for me.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
I was in the arena crowd scene when they unveiled Kong on one of the nights filming. The ticket to be there was given to me by my friend Forrest Ackermen. The giant Kong was awesome looking. The wind was blowing lightly, so the horse hair that was covering him was moving. I so wanted Kong to be alive, at least the giant one....48 years ago and I still remember like it was yesterday.

I tried freeeze framing the DVD but I could never pick me out. When I finally got the BD, every guy looked just like me...dark hair and dark moustache to go with the hair. Should have worn a shirt that I could pick out.

Maybe with the 4Ker, I'll have better luck.
Unless you’re the one that visibly waves at the camera.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The critics kept missing the point with Lange's performance. They thought she really was a dumb blonde, when she was giving a great performance as a Monroe type character.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I missed where it says that the King Kong character’s name is connected to that guy.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
No one will ever convince me that Dwan is not a typo

I can't tell if you're being serious or not (?) but she explains that her name is really Dawn and that she transposed the letters to make it more memorable. The character is a satirical portrayal of a not-too-bright starlet and it makes perfect sense. It's actually a funny joke when you stop to think about it simply because it's such a ridiculous name.

The critics kept missing the point with Lange's performance. They thought she really was a dumb blonde, when she was giving a great performance as a Monroe type character.

The critics had no context at the time for Lange's performance and thought she really WAS the character. It nearly killed her career before it even started and it took her years to recover momentum. Knowing what we now know, she's great in it!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
An a Dwan, an a too, an a twee, an a for...

bd1a264f3ff050f15f863360e2e64b4a.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dead2009
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale