What's new

U2's New Single (1 Viewer)

cwhite

Second Unit
Apparently, there's more to this U2/Apple iPod synergy.

http://www.macminute.com/

There's much speculation about this on some Apple/iPod sites. A custom, limited edition U2-badged iPod(which would be cool though I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier)? Or is Apple the title sponsor of the upcoming U2 tour(though I think this is unlikely)?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I haven't heard the entire song, but I am annoyed by it from the iPod commercial. Also, it makes me want to sing the line, "You just keep me hanging on."

~T

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I've now heard the song a few times and seen the video. My conclusion?

:emoji_thumbsup:

No, it's not the U2 from their 80s heydays...but it's also not exactly like U2 from their 90s experimental days.

It's pretty raw and enthusiastic - a good sign that the band is trying to continue to grow and deepen as musicians and artists.

For some weird reason, it reminds me of "Desire" from Rattle and Hum - this short, rock-pop song that's infectious as anything but still has a bit more meaning than your average boy-loves-girl pop song.

While their last was uneven (3-4 really strong songs), I'm optimistic and trying to remain open-minded about their newest.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I look forward to the new album, but I can never really judge U2 material until I hear it live. There's not much they've done that doesn't work better live. Look at All That You... - songs like "Elevation" and "Walk On" were pretty flat in the studio, but live...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
"Elevation" and "Walk On" studio versions are flat? Not for me. Elevation is especially infectious and aurally pleasing.

My favorite live version for U2 is "I Still Haven't Found..." They took a slightly, plaintive, searching song and transformed it into something more, with hope, ache, and joy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

They never stood out to me in their studio incarnations. Live, however, they're much stronger. I find it tough to listen to the studio versions now.

Ironically, "Still Haven't Found" is one that I DON'T like live! Everything else off Joshua Tree is stronger in concert, but I never though the live "Found" was satisfying...

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce......does that translate to 1,2,3,14 ?

Anyone know the reason behind this countoff?

Maybe Bono just being Bono.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Great album. I just heard the stream of the entire thing on My Music and I am definitely picking this one up!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what's 'my music'? i'd like to hear a stream as well. it doesn't look like u2.com has one.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The issue of Time Magazine that I just got has a review of the new album (the writer seems to like it a lot), and some very interesting quotes from the band on the recording process and how things get done with U2, how Vertigo came about, their deal with Apple, and even a mention that they felt that "All that you can't leave behind" was falsely praised by the critics, and was not really very good (I agree 100%....didn't like it much at all).

The writer is from Dublin...suppose he is biased????

Anyway...an interesting read

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...782116,00.html

BGL

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
good read brian ... thx for posting.

nice to know u2 didn't take any money for the partnership with apple. barring the obvious pr potential, it's still nice to hear. and to turn down 25m? now that's just crazy! :D

funny how even they (apparantly) didn't think much of atyclb. personally, it's one of my faves. i play that as much as mysterious ways or joshua tree.

AricB

Second Unit
local radio played the whole album nonstop last thursday for 12 hours, yes 12 hours. I had to switch stations. i listened to some of it, most of it I found very average. I have no interest in this album now. It really didnt seem very good at all.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
It's amusing how every new album by U2 is the album "the band always dreamed of making" but 3 years down the road they say they don't really care for it...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well duh tim. :D

it's not like they're gonna say, "yeah, this new album isn't our best shot..."

depeche does that all the time too...cracks me up.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Ted - ROFLMAO...just once I'd like to see a musician admit "Hey, our new album isn't very good, but the record company made us put it out!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks