What's new

Two SVS PCi's or one PC+? (1 Viewer)

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys. Well, I've already ordered a PC+, but it seems to be backordered for a few weeks, so I've been reconsidering. Should I go with 2 PCi's instead? 25-31's that is.. is the bass output going to be relatively similar? Will it be more even with 2 subs on each side of the TV than one sub off-center? I've got an 18'x26'x11' room to fill, that is open on the back end.

So, basically.. is it worth getting 2 for the balance? Is there any difference in output?

Thanks for any help.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I'd give Tom or Ron at SVS a yell with your room and setup considerations.

(How about 2 PC+'s? :D :laugh:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
:D )

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Haha - 2 PC+'s, right. Thanks though. I emailed Ron at SVS, but I hate to keep bothering him. I'd think they're pretty busy over there. Business from people like me (buying on a whim based on the HTF's recommend) must be doing pretty well. Really this is just me getting anxious (my main speakers will be here next Tuesday) and wanting it all set up NOW! :) But if 2 PCi's would be a better setup, that'd kill 2 birds with one stone.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I would buy a single lower-tuned PC Plus (ie 16 or 20hz), if that does not fill your room buy another of the same range & size (16/20)

Buying two 25hz models will go very loud, but compared to two lower tuned will lack the lower stuff.

Modern DVD mixes go well under 25hz.. search for "waterfall" and "mingl" that will show how low stuff goes (quite a bit under 25hz, most is around 20hz, but some are close to 10hz- which you really can't reproduce economically)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Why not consider dual PCi at 20 Hz. Low and loud. But, considering you originally ordered the PC+, I would just wait and get that. It seems like that's what you really want, and the only reason you're considering the other option is because you have to wait. Just my thoughts....

BobAlbano

Second Unit
My vote here would be for a dual 25-31csi/Samson S700 combo. I would have them tune the subs to the 22hz option and go from there. These subs will get you good in room response down to about 19-20hz which should cover about 99% of the bass notes out there. This will also give you a couple db's more than the single PC+ in terms of SPL while saving you some $$ over going with the dual PCI's...good luck with your decision! :cool:

terence

Supporting Actor

I have dual 20-39PC+'s that i had co-located for a while and recently seperated them (one in each front coner of the HT) because after a I got use to both them. I notice it was too much power for the room, the house was absoubing the energy instead of the room, also certain dvd's & cd's would draw me to the coner they were in. So i decided to move them apart, re-calibrated and my
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I could not believe the difference just by seperating them! I did loose 3dbs of output but worth it and i still have all the headroom i can stand. The best way to discribe the change is tamed, so YMMV depending on your room and needs.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Twin 20-39PCi cylinders co-located will have the edge over a single 20-39PC+. From about 17-25 Hz it would be close with the edge still going to the duals, and in the >25 Hz region, the advantage of the duals will grow to the 3-4 dB range. So if you can live with the larger footprint of dual PCi cylinders, they will slightly outperform a single PC+.

The Plus cylinders are still VERY potent performers for the money (I should know, I lived with a 20-39PC+ for over a year) and a single cylinder can be moved around easier and placed into a smaller spot.

You would have to push either of the above options to the limit to exploit the performance differences between them. Either of them will provide superb bass (clean, loud, flat, deep and low in distortion) in that size room.

You are down to personal preferences and space considerations at this point. And Tee makes a good point; some of the recent research indicates that splitting up dual subs into different locations can yield an overall smoother bass response in the room at more listening locations - at the expense of losing a few dB of maximum output/headroom.

These references might help you with sub placement, regardless of whether you go dual PCi or a single PC+.

http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers&RoomsPt3.pdf

Regards,

Ed

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, stickin with the PC+ I think, although I'm gonna try and upgrade to the 20-39PC+.. seems to be the popular choice. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

I ran the 20-39PC+ and the PB2-Plus side-by-side for several DVDs and they were calibrated to the same exact level.

Let me say up front I have never bottomed out the PC+, nor do I intend to bottom out the PB2+. With that said, the 20-39PC+ in the 20 Hz tune was good for 112-113 dB peaks, and that was pushing it hard. In comparison, the PB2-Plus had no trouble hitting 116-117 dB peaks in the stock tune. It could have gone louder, but things were starting to rattle and fall off shelves, etc.

I also ran the PB2+ very hard in the conventional 20 Hz tune with a port plugged and was easily hitting 115-116 dB on several passages, easily outgunning the 20-39PC+ while providing similar deep extension. Output with a port plugged does not seem to be a concern in the least.

These readings were C-weighted Fast at the seat. The meter correction factor is about 4 dB for most popular bass passages in the 25 Hz region.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks