Which size svs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph Hornauer, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Joseph Hornauer

Joseph Hornauer Auditioning

I'm going to buy my first sub but not certain which size would be best. My listening area is 3014cu.ft. with two openings on the same wall. One opening is 4' wide leading into another room that is 2010cu.ft.The other opening is also 4' wide in a corner leading to the upstair bedrooms. Also I plan on updating my avr in a couple of months from DPL to DD. Should I go with the cs+ or pci or wait for the pc+? My set up is mainly for HT with moderant to semi loud listing levels.(not as young as use to be)Thanks for any info.[​IMG]

2. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Joseph,

You have a fairly large area to fill. I'd personally suggest dual cs+/Samson1000 if your budget will allow.

I have a 20-39cs/S700 in a room about 1/3 the size of yours. But I also have 2 large openings in that room which basically open to the rest of the first floor creating over 7500 cu. ft. to fill. In fact, one opening is to the foyer which also contains the stairs to the 2nd story (which may also be a factor I haven't considered).

I had the opportunity to try a 2nd 20-39cs for a short while one day, and was (I hate to use this overused term) blown away. Really. My jaw literally dropped. One cs was great! But dual cs's were greater! MUCH greater. You would have to hear it to understand.

The cs+/Samson choice gives you the option of adding a 2nd sub cheaper should you start with one (cs series is sub only, pc series is sub and amp combined).

my 2 cents. HTH.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Joseph,

I agree with Rick...in approx 3000 cu-ft with a couple of opensing to other rooms,I would go with dual enclosures if possible. Even our *standard* dual 20-39cs/S700 package would fill this room quite well.

does the current DPL receiver have a built in subwoofer lowpass crossover?

TV

4. Joseph Hornauer

Joseph Hornauer Auditioning

Hi again Tom, my current dpl has sub out with low crossover I believe but not sure.