What's new

Twilight Time to release The Way We Were (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I've read that THE WAY WE WERE will also be released in Europe this year, and likely region-free like some other Columbia titles (TOOTSIE was just released in Germany).

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Great news. Considering how well "The Blue Lagoon" looks, I have high hopes for TWWW. Keeping my eye on the TT pre-order page..............................

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Garysb said:
Won't they be region locked to protect Twilight Time's exclusivity ?
Not necessarily. Twilight Time's discs are not Zone locked and there is no reason the studios would give them advantages they don't give to European partners.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Glad to see it coming out. But I do think they might be underestimating the size of Streisand's core fan base, the same group of people who make each of her albums debut in the Billboard top 10 without the help of any casual music buyers. Nobody in AGAIG has the rabidly devoted (in a good way) fans that Barbra does.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Also saw when I placed my order for this at Amazon's German website that they are releasing on the same day: "The Wild One", "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" and "The China Syndrome" in blu-ray from Sony!!! Pre-ordered those as well, since Sony's European blu-ray releases are region-free!!! :thumbsup:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Garysb said:
Won't they be region locked to protect Twilight Time's exclusivity ?
As Good as It Gets is region-free in Germany, as are many Sony releases. I suspect all the other Twilight Time titles being released by Sony in Germany will be region-free as well.
65644_back.jpg

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
lukejosephchung said:
Also saw when I placed my order for this at Amazon's German website that they are releasing on the same day: "The Wild One", "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" and "The China Syndrome" in blu-ray from Sony!!! Pre-ordered those as well, since Sony's European blu-ray releases are region-free!!! :thumbsup:
Great news on The China Syndrome. Love that film. Thanks for the heads-up.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
lukejosephchung said:
It will be interesting to see how the sales for this one turn out for this...I was expecting Sony or Criterion to release this, frankly!!! But the 3,000-copy limited-edition aspect of this release could be problematical as I think they're underestimating the demand!!!
So far I believe only the Horror / Sci Fi Twilight Time Blu ray's have sold out. It will be interesting to see which drama or comedy will be first. I'm getting this one without any hesitation.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Well wouldn't The Egyptian be your first sell out under those terms? On BD anyway. There are a few non-scifi DVD titles that sold out too.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I hope The Way We Were sells out really quickly as this will support the less popular titles (usually the ones I buy). I would like them to release The Eddy Duchin Story and The Fly. At least TT are region free unlike Criterion and latterly Olive. I wish Warners would let them have High Society.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wish Warners would let them have all the MGM musicals. At the rate Warners releases them, it'll be another 200 years before we get them all.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Sony is also releasing Oliver! in Germany on June 13. Seems to be a big day for Sony releases in Germany that Sony won't release in the USA.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Garysb said:
Sony is also releasing Oliver! in Germany on June 13. Seems to be a big day for Sony releases in Germany that Sony won't release in the USA.
Seeing that these titles are all region-free and playable on US hardware and reasonably-priced and easily obtainable through Amazon's German website, I don't see the problem here...I've already ordered all of these titles for myself and am looking forward to their arrival to my library next month!!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
lukejosephchung said:
Seeing that these titles are all region-free and playable on US hardware and reasonably-priced and easily obtainable through Amazon's German website, I don't see the problem here...I've already ordered all of these titles for myself and am looking forward to their arrival to my library next month!!!
We're actually assuming the June 13th releases will be region-free based on past releases, but there's no confirmation of that yet. That's why I will hold off pre-ordering until I know for sure. The prices are really good at Amazon.de, about $20 if you buy only one, but around $16 each if you buy four or more.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I must be the one person in North America who has never seen this film.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
China Syndrome, Tootsie and Sleepless in Seattle(Insonnia D'Amore) are also being released in Italy per Amazon.it for about 8 Euros each plus shipping less VAT as opposed to Germany where they are about 14 Euros. The Way We Were, Oliver!, and Philadelphia, are about 10 Euros each in Italy. Anyone know if these are also supposed to be region free ? Shipping to US higher from Italy, 10 euros from Italy per order, about 3 euros per order from Germany.

Ordering 6 titles cost 73.41 Euros in Germany and 54.73 Euros in Italy for the same titles. These are the final costs after VAT removed and shipping charges added. Italy is significantly cheaper but of course it is unknown if the discs are region free.

umr1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Meier
I received the Italian BDs of Sleepless, The Way We Were, Tootsie, Oliver! And The China Syndrome. The audio quality of all of these is much better than the DVD's. the video quality varies considerably. I would rank The Way We Were and The China Syndrome as the best, but not great. Tootsie is next best followed by Sleepless. Oliver! is the worst of them. I don't regret buying any, but the video quality may disappoint some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks