What's new

More Praise for Julie Kirgo (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
Julie's contributions to the Twilight Time Blu-rays eluded me, only because I failed to take note of the author of those smart 8 page booklets included on each release.

It was only after my 3rd purchase, MOBY DICK, that introduced me to her wonderful commentary, with the equally talented Nick Redman and Paul Seydor. Nick graciously steps aside to allow these two MOBY historians to go at it like Siskel & Ebert; often agreeing, gently ribbing each other when they didn't (unlike S&E who often pulled no punches); and just having a grand ole' time, dueling Herman Melville trivia back and forth, like a couple of gunslingers emptying their six shooters and re-loading chambers with more bullets of info. They were wiley, they were fun; and Julie's laugh complimented perfectly with Paul's ("all around good guy") dry candor. This is the way ALL Commentaries should be.

And YES ... Walter Huston would have been phenomenal as Captain Ahab.

So we got Gregory Peck instead, who is totally immersed in character by the last half of the film; and that's the Ahab I grew up and loved watching on a 20" black and white TV, in the early 60's. I mention this because I was initially looking forward to a full blown 3 Strip Robust Technicolor transfer. But Julie turned me into an instant believer, with just 2 words: "Aqua Tints". Immediately, I was teleported into a 19th century time capsule that made me feel like I was watching a living, breathing oil painting with moving images. And thus, it became the perfect marriage of enjoying my nostalgic MOBY DICK's b/w childhood experience, that is garnished and highlighted with splashes of warm colors. Only then, did I appreciate the brilliance of Oswald Morris' and John Huston's ground breaking color pallet.

The title credit sequence ends, the voyage begins, and for the first time I chose to watch the film with their commentary FIRST ...and was richly rewarded with a 2nd viewing appreciation that would not have been possible without their knowledge and enthusiasm beforehand, making MOBY DICK, a film I had dismissed in my adulthood, my most enjoyable Blu-ray purchase of 2016.

Julie has magic in her voice,
mirth in her heart,
and a film knowledge that can make any movie into an ornament that shines brighter.

When I finally realized who authored the booklet essays, it was like:
'Well, ...no wonder why I enjoyed them so much'!

Looking forward to my next purchase of
1959's JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH within 2 weeks,
and what choice words Julie has to say in that essay.

Top shelf kudos to Greg Kimble, and Twilight Time's laborious 8 month painstaking process in their color timing transfer (not restoration) to bring back to life, as close as possible, DP's Oswald Morris' original vision.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm not much of a commentary kind of guy but I love listening to Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman Twilight Time commentaries. I'll usually watch the movie then rewatch it again with the running commentary. The only TT commentary contributor I dislike is David Del Valle whose approach is too gossipy! I was appalled when during the Barefoot Contessa commentary with Kirgo he said It was Lana Turner who killed Stompanato and let her daughter take the blame for it (something Cheryl Crane has staunchly denied) as a fact rather than as unsubstantiated gossip.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
To each their own. I've found her commentaries and liner notes to be insufferably pretentious especially on "Violent Saturday" where I had to listen to an endless discourse about an alleged subtext about the film being an alleged metaphor for destroying the natural environment.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It's no secret that I'm a major admirer of Julie's talents. I have blind bought titles I was in the fence about just because she and Nick did a commentary for it.

Her enthusiasm is infectious and her speaking style is entertaining. The "Nick and Julie Show" is often as entertaining as the movie. (I'll give a shout out to Lem Dobbs and the other commentary partners that I enjoy also).

Best wishes for continued success for Nick, Brian, Julie and the TT organization. Great people and great company.

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
I'm not much of a commentary kind of guy but I love listening to Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman Twilight Time commentaries. I'll usually watch the movie then rewatch it again with the running commentary. The only TT commentary contributor I dislike is David Del Valle whose approach is too gossipy! I was appalled when during the Barefoot Contessa commentary with Kirgo he said It was Lana Turner who killed Stompanato and let her daughter take the blame for it (something Cheryl Crane has staunchly denied) as a fact rather than as unsubstantiated gossip.
I bro

I broke precedence, Thomas, becuz I've owned the DVD for over 10 years and cheated by pumping the monitor color WAY up to replicate the 3 strip transfer of the VHS release. And I wanted to understand why Twilight made the conscience decision to go with what I thought was going to be a pallid, washed out transfer, like the DVD.

But in the first 60 seconds, this blu-ray looked so clean in color and clarity that was unique. I was multi tasking anyway; so it was more listening, than watching.

First time for everything!
Thx for replying.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

I agree completely. I too was disgusted by Mr. Del Valle's gleeful telling of that libellous story.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Julie Kirgo is an amazing writer. Her prose style is not only jewel-like, (I would compare it to that glimpse of AUDREY HEPBURN'S diamond Cartier earrings in HOW TO STEAL A MILLION) but ALSO conversational, which is a very difficult thing to do. In fact, her individual voice as a writer is so distinctive and such a pleasure to read that I'm a little disappointed listening to her on the commentaries, which somehow doesn't come across in the same satisfying way that it does on the page.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Julie Kirgo is an amazing writer. Her prose style is not only jewel-like, (I would compare it to that glimpse of AUDREY HEPBURN'S diamond Cartier earrings in HOW TO STEAL A MILLION) but ALSO conversational, which is a very difficult thing to do. In fact, her individual voice as a writer is so distinctive and such a pleasure to read that I'm a little disappointed listening to her on the commentaries, which somehow doesn't come across in the same satisfying way that it does on the page.
Respectfully, I say;
how many authors in their real-life speaking style are actually able to sound exactly like their densely edited verse and prose on paper?
I'm willing to bet that if you were seated alongside Ms. Kirgo at a coffee counter café and struck up a conversation; not knowing who she was; that you would be swept off your feet by her infectious wit and intelligence. I'll go even further to say that you would ask her to stay for a second cup. And by the end of the third cup, you would say; "Have you ever thought of becoming a writer?".;)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I love Julie Kirgo's commentaries. There have been times that I would watch a Twilight Time Blu-ray for the first time and immediately do so with the commentary activated becausse I enjoy those commentaries so much. Furthermore, there have been times I disagreed with a few of her comments such as her take on Glenn Ford's character in The Big Heat, but even with my disagreements, her comments gave me food for thought on a different point of view.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Respectfully, I say;
how many authors in their real-life speaking style are actually able to sound exactly like their densely edited verse and prose on paper?
I'm willing to bet that if you were seated alongside Ms. Kirgo at a coffee counter café and struck up a conversation; not knowing who she was; that you would be swept off your feet by her infectious wit and intelligence. I'll go even further to say that you would ask her to stay for a second cup. And by the end of the third cup, you would say; "Have you ever thought of becoming a writer?".;)

Exactly! I was a huge admirer (still am) of film critic Pauline Kael's no nonsense, incisive and witty film writing. I had the opportunity to attend a lecture by her at UC Berkeley in the 1970s and her speaking style sounded rather schoolmarmish and her inflections didn't have the bite they had on paper. I'm sure if you heard F. Scott Fitzgerald read The Great Gatsby aloud, it just wouldn't be the same as reading it. That being said, I love Kirgo's off the cuff amiable conversational way of speaking on the commentaries.

Real Name
Joe Birrittella

It is much easier to do the written word because you can return over and over to edit, polish and perfect it to your satisfaction.
One can only imagine how difficult it is, even if you're prepared with notes, to provide a non-stop conversation of multi tasking of watching a movie (without sound), listening to your co-commentator(s), and providing trivia that is equally informative, entertaining, and seemingly spontaneous.

I have listened to commentaries that were useless, robotic and long stretches of silence. And if you screw up, it's there forever. And I can usually tell when someone goes back to post edit the comments because a different background nice or recording device gives it away.

It takes an energy and enthusiasm to maintain that level non stop.
I couldn't do it without stopping the film and rewinding at least 30 times to re-record and with all the commentaries, there are several people who stand apart from the rest.
Respectfully, I say;

The written word has the luxury of returning to it to edit, polish and perfect to your satisfaction. And you have to be alone and demands 100% focus.
In commentaries, you're multi tasking with watching a film without sound, listening and reacting to your Co-commentator(s); and still provide equal part information and entertainment, while seemingly being spontaneous.
I have heard commentaries that were boring, robotic, lazy and 3ven long stretches of silence. The worst are the ones who describe what is happening on screen as if were were vision challenged. THOSE are the worst.
It takes an unbounded energy, enthusiasm and a real labor of love to pull off a well done commentary, and even though there are several who can do it, there's just not enough of them. Julie is that diamond in the ruff.

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
It is much easier to do the written word because you can return over and over to edit, polish and perfect it to your satisfaction.
One can only imagine how difficult it is, even if you're prepared with notes, to provide a non-stop conversation of multi tasking of watching a movie (without sound), listening to your co-commentator(s), and providing trivia that is equally informative, entertaining, and seemingly spontaneous.

I have listened to commentaries that were useless, robotic and long stretches of silence. And if you screw up, it's there forever. And I can usually tell when someone goes back to post edit the comments because a different background nice or recording device gives it away.

It takes an energy and enthusiasm to maintain that level non stop.
I couldn't do it without stopping the film and rewinding at least 30 times to re-record and with all the commentaries, there are several people who stand apart from the rest.

The written word has the luxury of returning to it to edit, polish and perfect to your satisfaction. And you have to be alone and demands 100% focus.
In commentaries, you're multi tasking with watching a film without sound, listening and reacting to your Co-commentator(s); and still provide equal part information and entertainment, while seemingly being spontaneous.
I have heard commentaries that were boring, robotic, lazy and 3ven long stretches of silence. The worst are the ones who describe what is happening on screen as if were were vision challenged. THOSE are the worst.
It takes an unbounded energy, enthusiasm and a real labor of love to pull off a well done commentary, and even though there are several who can do it, there's just not enough of them. Julie is that diamond in the ruff.

Sorry ... I thought the first reply was lost and needed to be rewritten.
(...background "noice" , not nice)

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks