What's new

Twilight Time to release The Way We Were (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Garysb said:
China Syndrome, Tootsie and Sleepless in Seattle(Insonnia D'Amore) are also being released in Italy per Amazon.it for about 8 Euros each plus shipping less VAT as opposed to Germany where they are about 14 Euros.
There appears to be an offer on at Amazon.it right now with many of these recently released Sony titles starting at under 6 Euros.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
umr1 said:
I received the Italian BDs of Sleepless, The Way We Were, Tootsie, Oliver! And The China Syndrome.The audio quality of all of these is much better than the DVD's. the video quality varies considerably. I would rank The Way We Were and The China Syndrome as the best, but not great. Tootsie is next best followed by Sleepless. Oliver! is the worst of them. I don't regret buying any, but the video quality may disappoint some.
Could you please elaborate on why you think Oliver! looks bad? I think it looks pretty good. If you could give a reply over here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/322078-seven-sony-classics-coming-to-blu-ray-june-13-2013-in-germany/page-2#entry3972843
it would prevent any further derailment of this thread which is supposed to just be about The Way We Were.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's interesting how Sony seems to think there's enough of a market in Europe for TWWW and a few other titles to release under their own label, but not enough in the US?

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
The original WWW DVD had a great documentary, and really the only one that Streisand has participated in out of all her films on DVD so far. She appeared on camera (so did Pollack) and talked about the film; and they showed the cut scenes and explained them. It's really first-rate (despite the fact that Redford is conspicuously missing).

I just hope TT is able to port this documentary over for the Blu-ray ... it'd be a shame to lose it. (or to have to keep the old DVD).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
babsdude said:
The original WWW DVD had a great documentary, and really the only one that Streisand has participated in out of all her films on DVD so far. She appeared on camera (so did Pollack) and talked about the film; and they showed the cut scenes and explained them. It's really first-rate (despite the fact that Redford is conspicuously missing).

I just hope TT is able to port this documentary over for the Blu-ray ... it'd be a shame to lose it. (or to have to keep the old DVD).
Its on the blu ray from Italy but in SD only. I would imagine TT blu ray will have it plus perhaps an isolated score track which for WWW would be fantastic.

Most of the Extras on these recently released blu rays all seem to have been done in 2007. These include the extras on Oliver!, Tootsie, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Were the DVDs of these films all released in 2007?

I agree with those who mention the sound. It really stands out on these releases.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
As Gary stated above, the European Blu-ray has the documentary in SD. However the audio commentary and trailers were not carried over. If I know Twilight Time, they will probably include the commentary, like they did for As Good As It Gets.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Redford kind of kept his distance from "The Way We Were" (hence his absence in that DVD documentary)? I think his 'reunion' with Barbra came during an "Oprah" special 2 years ago.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Moe Dickstein said:
TT did not include the commentary on AGAIG
Oops. There I go spreading rumors. I knew the Twilight Time release had something extra that the European BD was missing. Turns out it was an isolated score, not a commentary track. :blush:

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Got my hands on the foreign disc and I can confirm that as with most Sony transfers, TWWW is beautiful. This film looks brand new.

Assuming TT uses the same master, fans will be very, very happy. It's obviously gone through some kind of dirt removal, since I don't remember the DVD looking this fantastic. It's actually jarring going from stock footage to live, given how sharp everything looks. Color and detail just pop off the screen.

I hope the Pollack commentary carries over in TT's release. It's not on my disc, although I still have the DVD for that.

Still hard to believe the theoretical lack of interest in this title via Sony US. Redford/Streisand, Marvin Hamlisch score, big hit in its day, etc. The scene at the end in front of the Plaza in NYC still ranks as among the most iconic in cinematic history.

Regarding Redford's lack of participation in the doc, I recall reading that Pollack had to practically beg RR to do the part, since he saw the character as "weak." To this day it's not a pleasant memory for him, which is probably why any sequels never really got off the ground. Too bad.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Cinescott said:
Got my hands on the foreign disc and I can confirm that as with most Sony transfers, TWWW is beautiful. This film looks brand new.

Assuming TT uses the same master, fans will be very, very happy. It's obviously gone through some kind of dirt removal, since I don't remember the DVD looking this fantastic. It's actually jarring going from stock footage to live, given how sharp everything looks. Color and detail just pop off the screen.

I hope the Pollack commentary carries over in TT's release. It's not on my disc, although I still have the DVD for that.

Still hard to believe the theoretical lack of interest in this title via Sony US. Redford/Streisand, Marvin Hamlisch score, big hit in its day, etc. The scene at the end in front of the Plaza in NYC still ranks as among the most iconic in cinematic history.

Regarding Redford's lack of participation in the doc, I recall reading that Pollack had to practically beg RR to do the part, since he saw the character as "weak." To this day it's not a pleasant memory for him, which is probably why any sequels never really got off the ground. Too bad.
Anyone interested in the many attempts at a proposed sequel should read Arthur Laurents autobiography "Original Story." The final attempt was a plan by Ray Stark for a stage musical with Kathie Lee Gifford (!)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Yes THE WAY WE WERE Blu Ray looks spectacular......unlike poor OLIVER! ( "Please Sir (Sony)...I want some more...(restoration)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks