What's new

Twilight Time hints March 2014 and beyond (1 Viewer)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Elijah Sullivan said:
They have confirmed First Men in the Moon? That's wonderful! I only just saw it in the last few years (during an exhaustive and fun tour of old sci-fi movies) and it stood out as one of my very favorites. Could Twilight Time release more Nigel Kneale films? Anything such as Quatermass, Night/Curse of the Demon, The Abominable Snowman would be a dream come true for me.

Curse/Night of the Demon is a Columbia/Sony title, so I don't know why not Elijah.

Although The Abominable Snowman was exhibited by Fox domestically, it is a Hammer picture, so its N.A. home video rights seem less clear...last seen stateside via Anchor Bay DVD.

As for First Men In the Moon, I have a gut feeling that much like the 2 remaining Sinbad movies last year it will be in our Christmas stockings for '14. At least I hope so...probably just depends on what Mr. Crisp has in his hopper right now.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION arrived today. Looking forward to watching this later tonight. It is one if my favorite fluff James Stewart movies.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
ahollis said:
MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION arrived today. Looking forward to watching this later tonight. It is one if my favorite fluff James Stewart movies.
Okay, I'm officially envious Allen. I was just in the mood to watch that one, but suspect my own delivery is still 10 days away, depending on the dogsleds*. So it's Fever Pitch instead tonight; Stewart will just have to wait until Easter weekend.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION looks great. Colors are nice, sound is mono and there is the right amount of grain. And Maureen O'Hara is just alway gorgeous. What a wonderful actress and I wish I could have the opportunity to see her this year at the TCM Film Festival. I hope the sales are successful to bring us TAKE HER SHE'S MINE and DEAR BRIDGET. I do have both the MOD of TAKE HER and the European Blu of BRIDGET.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Wonderful news Allen.

I don't think there was a dog amongst Stewart's early/mid-60s Fox pictures. All well-written, well-directed, well-performed, and solidly crafted. In our household, there was never any dissent over seeing his latest, even when they played at our upscale Belle theatre without a 2nd feature. Jimmy's pix were just a given.

BTW, I felt no letdown whatsoever watching Fever Pitch tonight. What a marvelous little movie...with charm and wit to spare. I wish more domestic rom-coms could get that infectious mix of character and story right...it wouldn't be such a debased genre.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I had no frame of reference strong enough to even imagine how Fever Pitch would play Jose...total blind faith buy. And it's not like I jumped on it when the SAE box arrived either; FP ended up being the very last on my list of March TT titles to make it to my player. Yet this one is a keeper...I just started watching it again with the Redman/Kirgo commentary on for another level of entertainment.

I do hope more folks take a chance on this one. It really sneaks up on you.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Plus watching Colin Firth's character develop is charming, moving, exasperating, so human. It's definitely a sleeper. But haven't we said the same thing about Rapture, Swamp Water, and how people should take a chance on them?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Yeah, I know Jose...and they do...at least some of them...eventually.

In fact, I just received a message here yesterday from a poster from Blu-ray.com who remembered my enthusiasm over Rapture and Swamp Water 2 plus years ago. I think TT's recent sale had more to do with those blind buys, but for more obscure (and initially somewhat head-scratchin') titles such as those or Fever Pitch, it just seems to take awhile for that "A-ha...now I see why they ran with it" moment to hit home.

I mean, I didn't exactly rip open the SAE box and watch Fever Pitch immediately either...but better late than never. ;)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
bujaki said:
Plus watching Colin Firth's character develop is charming, moving, exasperating, so human. It's definitely a sleeper. But haven't we said the same thing about Rapture, Swamp Water, and how people should take a chance on them?
I did take a chance on them also both RAPTURE and SWAMP WATER were very engrossing films. I was extremely pleased that Twilight took the time and energy to bring theses titles to us.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
ROclockCK said:

Curse/Night of the Demon is a Columbia/Sony title, so I don't know why not Elijah.

Although The Abominable Snowman was exhibited by Fox domestically, it is a Hammer picture, so its N.A. home video rights seem less clear...last seen stateside via Anchor Bay DVD.

As for First Men In the Moon, I have a gut feeling that much like the 2 remaining Sinbad movies last year it will be in our Christmas stockings for '14. At least I hope so...probably just depends on what Mr. Crisp has in his hopper right now.
If Anchor Bay still has an arrangement with Hammer, I wish they would do a Hammer Quatermass box with The Quatermass Xperiment, Enemy from Space and Five Million Years to Earth on it. Better yet, make it a Nigel Kneale/Hammer box and include The Abominable Snowman. I'd pay good money for that.

That said, I'm glad First Men in the Moon is coming. It's more deserving of the blu-ray treatment than the rest of the films I mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks