What's new

Twilight Time Announces January/February 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I think anyone wanting THE EGYPTIAN on Blu Ray needs to keep an eye on overseas releases. THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR was released in Germany on Blu Ray and is - I'm sure- from the identical master. It doesn't have the isolated score though. It is in stereo, despite misinformation to the contrary.
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH has been released on Blu Ray in Australia and can be bought for $14 or less. It has an isolated score soundtrack option so I am sure it is the same master used by TT. (Be aware that we spell 'center '
CENTRE here (ie. the correct way!) should you try searching for it at ebay.com.au or any Australian dvd website store. This spelling has been adopted on the cover)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Richard Gallagher said:
The Exodus soundtrack is available on CD. I owned the soundtrack record album many years ago. It was on the RCA label.

Exodus Soundtrack
I have it. Besides terrible sound the cd release which is a duplicate of the original LP is far from complete. The film was originally released in 6-track stereo and had outstanding sound. Too bad the best selling soundtrack album is such a mess.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
On another thread I asked for 'more Kim Novak please' so am delighted that The Eddy Duchin Story is coming - thanks Nick.

Also very much looking forward to Khartoum which I am sure will look splendid on blu-ray (more large format films please).

I am less sure about Man in the Dark, it is a shame that a more high profile film couldn't be TT's first 3-D release to give sales a boost. Like many others I would have preferred The Mad Magician if it was available.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
On another thread I asked for 'more Kim Novak please' so am delighted that The Eddy Duchin Story is coming - thanks Nick.

Also very much looking forward to Khartoum which I am sure will look splendid on blu-ray (more large format films please).

I am less sure about Man in the Dark, it is a shame that a more high profile film couldn't be TT's first 3-D release to give sales a boost. Like many others I would have preferred The Mad Magician if it was available.
It seems like TT can't win, one minute they're getting criticize for releasing titles too popular for their 3000 units run and the next they're taking heat for releasing titles too obscure for some people.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I'm going to need a third mortgage in the January/February timeframe :)

Count me in for Zulu, Khartoum day one with Titus, The Blue Max and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot a little later. ( Some great, long awaited titles and/or upgrades come out at around the same time from another highly respected vendor).

"The zulu can run twenty miles and still fight a battle at the end of it" or words to that affect!

Regards,

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
It seems like TT can't win, one minute they're getting criticize for releasing titles too popular for their 3000 units run and the next they're taking heat for releasing titles too obscure for some people.
Yeah but they got thick skins by now.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Keith Cobby said:
I think its a smart move by Sony to see how well Man in the Dark sells. If it sells out, which I'm guessing it will, they have the choice of Mad Magician, Sadie Thompson, JESSE JAMES VS. THE DALTONS, Three Stooges shorts, etc. to have TT or themselves release.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
GUN FURY, MISS SADIE THOMPSON and THE MAD MAGICIAN are very strong titles and would do well.

The Sam Katzman/William Castle titles would work best packaged in a set, in my opinion.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
No doubt Warners had a large choice of films to release in 3-D but they went with their best title, House of Wax. I have seen Man in the Dark (flat) and it is an obscure, not particularly good film. It may be (and I hope it is) considerably better in 3-D and I am sure TT will be putting out a good print, I am only questioning whether they would not have been better to release a more high profile film, one that more people will have seen and will be more eager to pay a premium price for. It may be that there is greater enthusiasm for more 3-D content than I suppose. I hope there is.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I suspect the film noir angle - and the fact that it's mastered and ready to go - had a lot to do with the decision.

Man-22-web.jpg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Keith Cobby said:
I am only questioning whether they would not have been better to release a more high profile film, one that more people will have seen and will be more eager to pay a premium price for. It may be that there is greater enthusiasm for more 3-D content than I suppose. I hope there is.
My guess is that the TT staff's personal preference for classic movies is a significant factor in what they end up choosing. In the Zulu thread Nick Redman even stated the he didn't "care one whit about whether we sell 50 copies, 20 copies, 10 copies or no copies" of that particular film and I've read similar statements over the past couple years about their CinemaScope and other titles.

Sure there's a good chance that it's mere posturing but it also indicates that TT is willing to take gambles on some titles that they think deserves exposure wherther or not they think it's a sure bet on returning its investment.

I'm sure the choice of Man in the Dark had a lot to do with that--that they really liked the film and felt it deserves a long-belated home video release, with the 3-D being one more juicy incentive.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Why do Bob Furmanek's posters always look newer and shinier than mine?

Gentlemen, let's stop picking on Twilight Time over Man In the Dark. True there are some unfortunate process shots, but it is an immersive and effective stereoscopic film. It can be enjoyed for its depth alone. Plus it's a classic 3-D film from the golden age of 3-D films. And it's a hardboiled film noir. No one who professes to love classic 3-D films and noir can do without it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I were you.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
JoHud said:
My guess is that the TT staff's personal preference for classic movies is a significant factor in what they end up choosing. In the Zulu thread Nick Redman even stated the he didn't "care one whit about whether we sell 50 copies, 20 copies, 10 copies or no copies" of that particular film and I've read similar statements over the past couple years about their CinemaScope and other titles...

My sentiments exactly insofar as ZULU is concerned. I have the British blu but since this is a different transfer I'm buying it. The thought of not buying it never entered my head. An exceptional film on every level and very entertaining.

If we must pick on Twilight Time let's pick on them for not releasing more westerns.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Richard--W said:
Gentlemen, let's stop picking on Twilight Time over Man In the Dark. True there are some unfortunate process shots, but it is an immersive and effective stereoscopic film. It can be enjoyed for its depth alone. Plus it's a classic 3-D film from the golden age of 3-D films. And it's a hardboiled film noir. No one who professes to love classic 3-D films and noir can do without it. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I were you.
I'd rent it, having never seen it (if 3DBlu-rayrental.com gets a copy), but I'm not throwing a fit about it--
I'd just assuming they went with the First, in case they decided to go with more Columbia later. I'm just...sighing in patient disgruntlement. :(

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have it. Besides terrible sound the cd release which is a duplicate of the original LP is far from complete. The film was originally released in 6-track stereo and had outstanding sound. Too bad the best selling soundtrack album is such a mess.
See if you can get hold of this:http://www.americanmusicpreservation.com/Exodus.htmIt's a re-recording but a very nice one, containing the complete score.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
lionel59 said:
I think anyone wanting THE EGYPTIAN on Blu Ray needs to keep an eye on overseas releases. THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR was released in Germany on Blu Ray and is - I'm sure- from the identical master. It doesn't have the isolated score though. It is in stereo, despite misinformation to the contrary.
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH has been released on Blu Ray in Australia and can be bought for $14 or less. It has an isolated score soundtrack option so I am sure it is the same master used by TT. (Be aware that we spell 'center '
CENTRE here (ie. the correct way!) should you try searching for it at ebay.com.au or any Australian dvd website store. This spelling has been adopted on the cover)
Does the German blu-ray of The Rains of Ranchipur contain a lossless audio track? It's in stereo, yes, but there's no way I'll buy it unless it has DTS-HD MA 4.0.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
From what I can gather, the German RAINS is not in DTS-HD MA 4.0, just two-channel stereo. Guessing it's a mix down. You may be better off getting the more expensive TT version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks