What's new

TV is in the way...... (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I know this I can't be the first to have this problem, so hopefully there's a good fix for it.

My wife gave me an X1 projector for Christmas, so now I'm having to kind of reconfigure my HT for front projection. I've been using a 32" TV as my display for the last few years, but I don't want to completely do away with the TV. I'll still use it for some gaming and even some movies. I don't want to use the projector for everything I do (trying to save lamp life already), so I want to be able to use the TV when I want to.

Problem is the fact that the TV (with the center channel on top) is in the way of the projector image (I'm using the wall behind the TV...and even if I had a screen, it would still be in the way).

Is there any kind of TV stand that can be lowered? I've even looked at some hydraulic lift tables (like mechanics use) to put the TV on. Then I could hit the release and lower the TV to the ground, then jack it back up to height when I was done with the projector. This isn't the best fix by any means, but might work.

Is there anything else out there that might fix this problem?

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
There must be an easier, simple solution. Can you do a drop down screen, maybe with a black curtain behind it?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
With the 4,000 hour lamp life and current cost of replacment, $299 move the TV to a bedroom or sell it and start enjoying your X1 for everything. Even under heavy use you will most likely be ready to buy a new PJ by the time the lamp starts to fade :)

Hydraulic stands cost more than the X1 so it is hard to justify.

Enjoy your PJ, it is a great little unit.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'm kind of limited with space between my seating and the TV, so a screen coming down in front of the TV would be way too close for comfortable viewing.

The type of stand that I was referring to costs about $99 and will hold about 700lbs. It would work fine, it's just not designed for that, so it really wouldn't blend in....I'd have to find a way to hide it somehow.

As for using the pj for all viewing.....I may do that eventually, but this is my first pj (of my own.....I've used several in my HT before) and I just can't justify flipping the thing on every time I go downstairs and want to watch a ball game or play some XBOX.
I may not care down the road, but now I'm trying to figure out a way to use both displays in the same room.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
How close is your tv to your seating area?
There is a formula for screen size according to seating distance.
I'd vote for a pull down screen too!

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
TV is about 6 or 7 feet from the front row chairs. That puts the projection wall about another 2 feet further away.
I have the formula for figuring that somewhere.....

I may go the screen route in the future, but my $$ is tied up in other places at the moment, and the wall gives me a good enough display for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks