What's new
World Wide Stereo

TV hookup using digital optical audio out (1 Viewer)

surfdoc37

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Is there any pressing reason that I could not simply treat my HDTV as just another peripheral and hook it into my receiver using the TV's optical audio out jack, to an appropriate input on the receiver? Specifically, will I get sound at all, will it sound as good as sending it directly to the receiver, and would it be in synch with the picture?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
In general you should not send the TV to the receiver. It would be okay if you were only sending the TV's audio, but usually people want to connect their other sources (DVD, cable box, games) to the TV and then send them all to the receiver from the TV. In those cases, 99% of the time the TV only sends a stereo signal for all connections other than it's tuner.

If you want more info there's a lot of other threads on this topic; plus it appears there should be a wiki soon (by the esteemed Joe DeMartino).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If you want more info there's a lot of other threads on this topic; plus it appears there should be a wiki soon (by the esteemed Joe DeMartino).
And now there is. Linked to in my post above. ("...the esteemed Joe DeMartino." Oooh. I like the sound of that. )

Regards,

Joe

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
And now there is. Linked to in my post above.
I swear you weren't there when I typed my response. It must have been the delay in looking for wiki - which also wasn't there yet. You're quicker than the average bear!

Oooh. I like the sound of that.
Not too much further from esteemed wiki author to being featured on "Talk With The Insiders". And then we can all say we knew him when!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
The better way of looking at things is your Receiver is the hub of your system and your TV is not much more than a Monitor to display your video signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks