What's new

Need advice or alternative suggestions to connect Sony DVD to older Pioneer Elite Receiver (1 Viewer)

sherri0121

Auditioning
Real Name
Sherri Adams
My original HT system was installed in 2006 so I know it's older technology. The equipment I have is as follows:
TV - Pioneer Elite PRO-930HD
Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV
Sony Bluray/DVD player- BDP-S590
The TV is connected to the receiver with hi-def component video and optical digital cable (I'm assuming that is audio) - monster cables. Though the receiver does have hdmi out I am unable to use that connection to the tv because the tv is on the wall and all the equipment is in a closet. I don't have the funds to have an hdmi cable run through the walls (nor do I feel like patching and painting walls) to the equipment.
The old dvd player had component video and digital optical audio cable that was used to connect to the receiver and I never even throught about the connection when I purchased the Sony DVD player.
So I have a few questions:
1. is "optical digital cable" connection audio only or is it also video too? because in the sony dvd player instruction guide it gives two options for connecting the dvd player to a receiver with "digital cable": one-coaxial digital cable or two-optical digital cable.
2. The Sony DVD player does not have component video connections. I've seen some hdmi to component video converters...do they actually work? If they do work, I would love to have a recommendation as to which one I should purchase (preferrably a less expensive one).
3. I'm assuming a hdmi cable hookup from the receiver to the dvd player will not work since the tv is not connected to the receiver with hdmi cable as well...correct?
Aside from the obvious of getting a blu-ray player with component video I value any other suggestions! Thank you!

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Hello,
You can get the HDMI to component converter from monoprice for $38.25. Your receiver will not do the conversion for you. You can also utilize the analog outputs on the converter for sound, but I would use the optical or coaxial digital output from the bluray player.
FYI, the optical output and the digital coax output are alternatives for the identical function: to output digital sound only (no video).
Link for the converter:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2#description

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or even better...
Return that BD player, buy one pre-2012(this current model year is when component disappeared)...
Here is last years that still has component...
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S580-Blu-ray-Player-Black/dp/B004K1EOCA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356925093&sr=1-1&keywords=bdps580

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is another option(and this is one of MANY, as I don't know your distance...if line of sight can be done...or anything)
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transmitter-Streaming-Satellite-NPCS549/dp/B009E6R89C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356925929&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+hdmi+transmitter+and+receiver+1080p

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DennisBassi said:
However, the BDP-S580 only output 480p on its components. If you go that route, get the BDP-S570 which was the final year that output 1080i.
Is that 480 only for DVD? As I recall, BD is still 1080I/720P...you just don't get DVD scaling. Which, I don't think the 570 does DVD 1080I/720P either..."upscaling over component" disappeared 5 years ago...from everybody.

sherri0121

Auditioning
Real Name
Sherri Adams
Thank you for the great ideas. Line of sight isn't an option unless I just hook it straight up to the tv, but I loose surround sound. Though from the tv to the dvd player is only about 20' give or take a few feet, the equipment is in a closet.
I liked the idea for going back a model year until I check the link $155+ ouch. I was able to pick up the current DVD player for a mere $28.
I'll definately look into the converter. Thanks again for the suggestions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Nyrius would go from your AVR to the TV. That way you'd benefit from the 2nd reason you bought a BD player...
The lossless audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks