What's new

Truly wireless setup (1 Viewer)

Alngu3

Auditioning
Real Name
al ngu
Hi,

I'm sorry if this question was already asked, I couldn't find it thru search...

I'm looking for a way to reduce wires and units as much as possible (by reducing units I mean that for example a soundbar with integrated woofer is better than separate units in my case...)
The rear speakers need to be battery powered. I understand that woofer/soundbar will have to have power, but Ideally I'd have a bar under the TV and two battery powered speakers in the back.

There are only three off the shelf options I found:
1) Oneaudio (various options, micro/mini/medi w/ or without woofer)
https://www.oneaudio.cc/wireless-surround

2) JBL 5.1
https://www.jbl.com/bar-series/JBL+Bar+5.1.html?dwvar_JBL Bar 5.1_color=Black-USA-Current

3) Damson S-series
https://www.damsonglobal.com/us/homecinema

I was wondering whether

a) someone has some experience with any of these
b) are there any other options I'm missing?

Is there a soundbar that can cooperate with wireless battery powered speakers?

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I do enjoy good sound

The budget is up to $2k, but I'd prefer to stay in the 700-800 territory if possible.

Also, if it supports dolby atmos, that's a huge plus.

Thank you in advance!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Unless you are a sporatic user, I expect the battery-charging will get old within a year or two.

Consumer wireless audio is notoriously blinky and unreliable. Based on that, I’d go with the JBL system, as it has an unusually high Amazon user approval rating (combined 4-5 star reviews) of 80%. 40% to 70% is more common for these devices. Whatever you decide on, I’d suggest you make sure it has a generous return policy. Good chance you’ll need it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alngu3

Auditioning
Real Name
al ngu
Unless you are a sporatic user, I expect the battery-charging will get old within a year or two.

Consumer wireless audio is notoriously blinky and unreliable. Based on that, I’d go with the JBL system, as it has an unusually high Amazon user approval rating (combined 4-5 star reviews) of 80%. 40% to 70% is more common for these devices. Whatever you decide on, I’d suggest you make sure it has a generous return policy. Good chance you’ll need it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hi Wayne,

Naturally, this system will be used very sporadically. Also, for several reasons, it's not physically possible to wire the rear speakers, so it's either that, or front only. If charging will get old, which it very well might, I'll have front only, but I see no reason (except saving some money, which is always a good reason) to give up right away.

Among the "off the shelve" solutions I am very inclined to go for the JBL, as you suggested (that is why it's first on the list), I just have a feeling that I'm missing something, and there's a way to mix and match wireless speakers, because there's quite a selection of standalone speakers...

Alngu3

Auditioning
Real Name
al ngu
Aren’t most of the battery-powered ones Bluetooth?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Most are, but a lot of them are wifi too... I have no idea why it matters though. I have zero experience with this, everything is wired in my main set-up, and I've never had a need for wireless speaker before.

Alngu3

Auditioning
Real Name
al ngu
Also, you said "consumer" wireless... Is there like "professional grade" wireless equipment? It's probably does not fit in the budget, but I'm curious.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No speakers that I’m aware of, but wireless equipment is common in pro-audio – mics, personal monitor systems and more. Obviously in a live performance, reliability is a drop-dead requirement for these systems. And no, it isn’t cheap, but your $2k budget could probably accommodate a pro-based system, except for the battery-powered requirement. You can find an article discussing the various options for wireless surround sound in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks