What's new

Trouble with TPM? (1 Viewer)

GregMT

Auditioning
I asked this in the Hardware forum, but didn't get any answers, so maybe it was in the wrong place. Or maybe it's in the wrong place now. If so, I'm sorry.
Anyway, My TPM disc spins kinda noisily from tracks 17-25 or so. Not sure how to describe it other than to say that I can hear it spin. Almost like scrape-y noise. The funny thing is, it's not the whole disc.
Other discs don't seem to spin like this, so I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. I've seen other threads in this forum about how out-of-balance discs can ruin a player, and I was wondering if I should return the disc or if other folks have heard something like this or if it's not a very big deal and I should quit worrying.
Thanks in advance.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Does it look warped at all?
In any event just to be safe I would try to exchange it for another copy.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What player do you use? I used to own a Sony 560D player and it would randomly spin noisily on many discs. Since I've moved to an RP91 I haven't had the spin noise problem, although the RP91 produces its own set of odd noises.

GregMT

Auditioning
Thanks, suys. It's a Toshiba (for some reason I'm blanking on the model number). Nothing too special though. I'll check it against a bunch of other DVDs and see what happens. Or I'll mail it back. In any case, thanks so much for the replies.

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
Greg:
My Sony 530 does the same thing on certain discs a few minutes before the layer change. I can't give you any reason why this might be other than some kind of weight issue with individual discs, but whenever I hear the sound you are describing, it always goes away after the layer change.
------------------
Christopher Cheadle
Dayton, OH
-------------------------
"I gave my love a chicken that had no bone...MMMMM chicken."
- Homer

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Can we make this the unofficial trouble with TPM thread?
I ran into a few problems viewing the extras today.
After I played the trailer, the disk ejected. It did it again after the 3rd web documentary.
I spent about 6 hours on the extras, and I think I've seen everything, and those were the only two places it did that.
The rest of it ran just perfect, and oh, is it great!
For those that want to know, I ran this on a Pioneer DV-F07.
Glenn

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I recently tried listening to the audio commentary, and only Lucas, Burtt, Coleman come through. The others, (McCallum, Muren, etc.) their names appear when they're supposed to be talking and the volume goes down as if they're speaking, but nothing is heard.
Anyone else having this problem with their disc?

Brad Cook

Stunt Coordinator
I watched TPM on my Macintosh PowerBook, and the subtitles didn't show up. I checked the film in my Sony DVD player, and the subtitles showed up there, so I guess it had something to do with Apple's DVD Player software.
Anyone else have this problem?
- Brad

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Wes, I'll second the problem with the commentary. It was like they didn't have enough mikes. Later in the film, you could barely hear them.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks