What's new

Tribes/Tribes2 players...show yourselves! (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Something is wrong there. I run a 1.4Tbird and a GF3 and the lowest I've ever see it drop is ~40fps.
Tribes 2 was optimized for the GeForce family, but sadly, they never did much / any work for the Radeon cards, even in the later patches. I've read a few other posts elsewhere about people pushing 2 ghz machines and 9500 / 9700 cards, and still getting choppiness.

Nobody can accuse T2 of being coded great for Radeon's, especially since I only run at 800X600 :b

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
If Tribes 3 is coming to Xbox Live, I'm there. I stopped playing Computer games because of the inconsistancy of the game speed. Not to mention how much the companies lie about the min. requirements for games.
if t3 goes to XBOX Live then i quit. PC games are FAR superior to console games (if for no other reason then because you use a keyboard + mouse). if Sierra makes the huge mistake to put it on consoles only, the tribes franchise will be ruined.

the tribes community (which i'm deeply involved with) is the best group of online gamers i've ever been associated with, and we would not stand for it. i played for the #2 team in t2 for almost a year, and i'm positive that all my friends on good teams at the top of the game would not play t3 if it was on a console. t2 was already fucked up enough when it was released, and it almost killed the community. if z0dd had not have written base++ and classic mod, tribes 2 would be dead right now. Sierra owes him (and KineticPoet, who wrote the TR2 gametype of which i was a beta tester) a HUGE thank you!!

some online friends of mine are closely involved with the development of tribes 3, and i can assure you that it will be very well done and for the PC only (however, they might port it to Xbox later kinda like Tribes:AA was). anything else would be devistating to the tribes franchise.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I am on Tribes 2!!!!!! I don't play as often as I used to, but if HTFers can convince me to get on, then I will. We should form an HTF tribe. My name on there is Tondog. My problem with Tribes is that it is quite buggy.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
If Tribes 3 is coming to Xbox Live, I'm there.
I agree with Thomas.

Additionally, you'd loose too much of the game going from mouse/keyboard to console controller. I'm not stating a personal preference, I'm stating a fact. Tribes is simply too complex to be reduced to a console controller. As evidenced by Aerial Assault on PS2 you wind up with a lobotomized version that's little fun to play.

Thomas,

Can you find out any Tribes 3 info for us? Any chance the developers would be open to taking suggestions from players? I hope they involve the current modders out there as early in the process as possible.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Camp, it's all being kept very hush hush, and even the people i know that are working on the project cannot tell me anything else besides that they are working on it. :)

however, there's a sort of comical discussion going on in one of the major forums. the thread can be viewed here, but be warned that not all the stuff posted there is suitable for viewing at work/school/whatever (it's a picture thread). please remember that most of us posting are 18-25 yr old guys just looking to vent, so dont take any of the slang used by us as offensive. enjoy!

on a side note- registrations at the forum are generally closed because we like the community how it is, and new members are not looked apon favorably. that's just how it is. my suggestion is to keep your viewing just that- viewing only.

Nathan A

Second Unit
the T2 community is....disappointing.

i played for about 1 1/2 years on TWL and began to absolutely dread it. every team is one gigantic immature teenager. people are always complaining about other people; people are always accusing other people of cheating. matches that should last only 1 1/2 hours would drag on to over 3 hours because of all the bickering and lame play styles.

and about play mechanics- the game is seriously flawed. whatever team has the best blind spammers wins. period. and the newer mods (classic, base++) make heavies even cheaper.

anyway, the TWL T2 community RUINED online competetive team play for me. it's sad because it was a lot of fun at first (A LOT of fun).

i also hated that good players who didn't get along with each other would form teams just to try to get to the top of a ladder. i played these teams a few times; they couldn't even agree on who was going to sit out on maps when they had too many. this team idea is lame...you should play with people you like and as a team. that's what i did (thank god my team had really cool people who didn't ever really complain about anything. we lost a lot, but at least we had fun together). i couldn't even have fun on the duel ladder because of other player's attitudes.

as far as T3 is concerned; i'll buy it if it comes out, but i'll only pub. the TWL community is not for me. the players are immensely immature and the admins are ridiculously tactless and uncaring.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
and about play mechanics- the game is seriously flawed. whatever team has the best blind spammers wins. period. and the newer mods (classic, base++) make heavies even cheaper.
this is entirely not true. while i can see your point about the community (you kinda have to be on top to be a contributing part of it), this statement is totally false. the team with the best coordination and teamwork ALWAYS wins. skill is very important, but it's almost secondary to these other two aspects of the game.

as for blind spam, i think it's totally gay. however, it is a part of the game now, and it's useful for killing base turrets and sensors that are usually otherwise invincible. it makes up for the developers making the original game (base) overly defense-oriented. in classic, people have more specific and defined roles, and it takes much more skill the play the game well. also, this mod is where the good players are, and i'll continue to play it until something better (t3?) comes along.

but spam != win. any good ld should be able to avoid being hit. it's the teamwork that gets the flag home.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't understand the problem with Tribes going to a console. I don't have a PS2, so I can't comment on Tribes: AA. But Morrowind, originally a PC game that uses almost all the buttons on your keyboard/mouse was perfect for an Xbox controller. I actually liked it better using the Xbox controller. The only game I know of that is better with a keyboard/mouse combination is Jedi Outcast. If you play guns only, then consoles will be fine, but if you are a saber fan, like myself, then there are things that you can only do with a mouse. You can just swing in full circles at high speeds that are not possible for a console joystick with a set speed.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
if you ever played tribes competitively you'd understand why. games with this much involvement REQUIRE a keyboard + mouse cuz there are just too many keys you need to press in a given match. i cant really explain it...you need to play the game to understand :

James T

Screenwriter
I have played the game. I haven't played Tribes 2, but unless Tribes 2 has a completely different keymap from Tribes 1, I still don't get it.

I got my XBox on Christmas. That was my first console in about 10 years. Before my Xbox, I was a PC gamer.

Ghost Recon is another game that's available for both PC/Xbox. I thought, after playing the PC version that the Xbox version would be difficult to do all the little things that make were so easy using a mouse/keyboard. But after a few days of practice, I got the hang of it.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
as for blind spam
What is that? I've never heard that term.

James,

Basic control could easily be accomplished with a console controller but you'd loose a lot of the little things that make Tribes so cool. I find "talking" via the keyboard commands a very important feature in the game. Pressing V+W+B = "Incoming bomber!". Small things like the command window, placing beacons, dropping your weapon, dropping your pack, zooming in, setting the level of your zoom, dedicated keys for mines and grenades, etc., etc. Some of these would need to be removed in order to get the game running properly on Xbox.
That said, release an Xbox keyboard & mouse and it would be a great game to port.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Camp, blind spam refers to people who grab a single weapon (usually the Mortor in T2) and just blast at the same area over and over and over... Like being bombarded with spam mail, they basically keep a section of your base useless, until you can get enough people with no equiptment to go hunt them down.

They seem to love doing it on the flag, and vehicle pads... Annoying, and usually not appriciated strategy.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha...didn't know that had a proper name. I usually just call those guys assholes. :)

Another reason I enjoy Renegades. A little Engineer armor can be equipped with grenades that drop the shields of a heavy. After that it only takes a couple rockets do eliminate one of these assholes. In some ways the armor classes in Ren's is better balanced than in base.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
if you're good with the shocklance it's not a problem. similarly, if you know how to minedisk well, you can take care of the heavies that way.

blind spam is only effective for removing base turrets and sometimes removing the HOF (but if the HOF is somewhat decent, he can avoid being killed easily). having a teammate spam all map is almost useless considering he could be on the enemy's side distracting ppl instead of being far away lobbing mortars. actually being on the other side of the map is WAAAAY more useful than spamming.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I think that us HTF Tribes 2 players should organize a group play sometime. That way we can play honestly and not have to worry about all the assholes who spam all the time.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i frequently pub on Rapture Comp East 1 (aka Rapture Short Bus), -M-utiny's Plunder, and Aretea |RT's server. that's where all the good players are :)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Thomas,

I've been playing on the Short Bus server the past couple days, under the tag Bordak.

I've been sticking to base and flag defense for now, I'm more then a little rusty and don't want to embaress myself :b

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Thomas and Scott, how are those servers as far as spamming goes? Do they generally not spam all the time? If so, I will play on one of those servers. If I could eliminate one thing about Tribes 2, it would have to be spamming.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
chat spam or blind spam? it's against server rules to blind spam anything except base turrets. o-sniping is also a kickable defense...just dont piss off any of the admins or do anything stupid and you'll be fine. keep the chat spam to a minimum as well, even though some members of Rapture are notorious spam kings :) (watch some of their demos and you'll understand)

also, make sure to get in the server when it's unlocked since they have the auto-pw feature enable after 22 or so ppl join the server. the pw is only distributed to players in the top couple of teams and friends of the team, and this is to improve the quality of play.

maybe i'll see u guys there?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so sure I understand the thinking behind banning tactics. If a player employs "blind spamming" just take him out. Sure, it's annoying but it's part of the game.

Just like sniping and camping in Quake or Unreal Tournament. Many servers totally ban it and several scripts were written to prevent that activity.

I'm of the (apparently unpopular) opinion that any activity made possible by the game engine should be allowed (short of TK-ing and other activities that directly harm your own team).

I absolutely hate snipers. Players who spend their entire time finding a camping location, setting up their own personal inventory station and getting mega kills without ever really getting involved in the action.

While I hate that sort of gameplay it is allowed. I get over my dislike of that style by making myself a sniper-hunter. I enjoy breaking up their gameplay. Hopefully I can show them the futility of their efforts.

My point is that if you don't like the way some idiot is playing the game you should do something within the game to correct that. If you've got a blind spammer you send a team in to take him out. Your skills should be sufficient to make that happen. Don't go outside of the game engine to make that unpopular style disappear. Don't change the rules of the server just to eliminate a style of play. Doing so almost makes you look frightened of it. -and if your teams are as good as you say they are that should not be the case at all.

Obviously, I have never played competitive Tribes. My perspective is of a casual (though serious) player. However, I think that my argument should be just as strong in competitive play where the players ought to be good enough to recognize and counter these tactics.

From my perspective, making rule changes the rules is changing the game. You're not playing Tribes if you kick players for using unpopular tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks