Tribes/Tribes2 players...show yourselves!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    ...and the nicks you play under. i've played T1 since early 2000 and T2 since January of '02 under the nick 'marantz' [​IMG]

anyone else?

2. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

I was a hardcore Tribes 1/2 fan, gotta admit I haven't played much for about 6 - 8 months now though, sure hope we see Tribes 3 sometime in the near future. I used to go buy the a 3 names.

"WAC - Lestat"
    "Evil as Sin"
    "BratPrince"

I should dust off my old copy of Tribes 2 and have a go.

Maybe see ya there.

KC

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I haven't played it in a while.... I forget my name, though. I lost interest because most of the servers seemed empty. I'm on CS now instead. [​IMG]

Interesting aside: I've heard the word 'Shazbot' used in standard jargon -- namely, The Simpsons and a local morning 'shock'-jock (Elliot in the Morning).

Did the term ORIGINATE from Tribes??

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I haven't played it in a while.... I forget my name, though. I lost interest because most of the servers seemed empty. I'm on CS now instead. [​IMG]

Interesting aside: I've heard the word 'Shazbot' used in standard jargon -- namely, The Simpsons and a local morning 'shock'-jock (Elliot in the Morning).

Did the term ORIGINATE from Tribes??

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I used to be a huge Tribes 1 & 2 player. I still love the games but I haven't played in a while. My nick was Union Carbine. I've still got 2 on my HD so maybe I'll start firing it up again.

6. James T

James T Screenwriter

I forgot my name, but one time I wanted to get a ride to the enemies base. Before I was able to get on the vehicle, it was already jammed packed with soldiers. I thought, 'hey, what's one more?'. I thought maybe I could at least get a ride even if it weren't a secure one. I was wrong. The thing exploded and killed everyone but myself and one other guy(who then tried to kill me). Too bad for him friendly fire was turned off. lol!

I never played Tribes 2, cause when it came out, I didn't have the PC power to run it.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    no other games currently available (save maybe BF1942) have the depth of tribes or tribes2. in the competition circuits (which i've been involved with for many years), tribes is played 10v10 and t2 is 14v14. simply put, the options, diversity, teamwork, and strategy needed to win a tribes/t2 match is FAR more advanced than any other game i've ever seen or played. playing as a part of a large team working together to complete a single objective (capturing the flag) is a ton of fun. everything else pales in comparison to the tribes series games.

if you havent yet, give t2 classic competition a shot. my old team was one of the best in base++ and #2 on the classic ladder before alot of us left to seek out a real life [​IMG]. but simply put, it was the most fun i'd ever had sitting at a computer!

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Thomas,

I totally agree. Nothing can compare to T2. I've tried Battlefield 1942 but it really cannot compare.

I play a game or two just about every day (I'm a dork!). I've been hooked since T2 was released. I play under the name "SiliGoose". I should add, however, that I play the Renegades mod almost exclusively. Renegades is the only mod I've found that successfully employs the balance of the base Tribes 2 game with all the cool weapons and armor classes found in exotic mods. Renegades, IMO, only adds to the tremendous depth already found in the stock game.

I'm not so sure we'll ever see a Tribes 3. The new online game from the original Tribes and Tribes 2 team is due on PC sometime soon (the title escapes me right now). It's similar in that it contains large teams and the same strategy types. It takes vehicular combat to a new level but (sadly) there are no jetpacks.

9. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Thomas,

I agree as well. I'd love to see a 3rd installment... In and of themselves, the jetpacks add an element that has not been captured in any other multiplayer game - it was hard to go back to being pleased with jump platforms after using the jetpacks...

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i've found that ren players in general dont have nearly the skill that the average classic players do. this is largely due to the fact that there are minimal deployables in classic to do the work for you (so you have to kill the people yourself instead of deploying lots of turrets to do it for you). to each his own, but i've never been a fan of renegades :

11. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I love Tribes 1, been adicted ever since it came out. I try to get in a few matches a day, but working and 20 college hours are killing my spare time. I am a Shifter mod junkie and go by the name Hoo Chi or Rancid Milk. I started out as Viper, but so did about a billion other Tribes players.

Unfortunately, I've never played Tribes 2. Like someone else state, I didn't have a computer powerful enough to run it when it came out. Heck, I just built a computer powerful enough to run it last week. Yeah I know, I'm way behind! [​IMG]

Anyone up for a game of Tribes Shifter? [​IMG] Nevermind, my body's telling me it's bedtime.

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    t1 base all the way

13. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

Note on Shazbot

Hope I am not dating myself too much here, but... This originate on the old TV series Mork and Mindy with Robin Williams. He used it quite frequently if I remember correctly.

KC

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

15. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    just to clarify: i'm not talking about t2 base. base in t2 is/was a joke and is insanely easy to play (and totally boring too). t2 classic mod more closely emulates t1 base and is IMO the "mod" worth playing.

just wondering...did anyone ever play for any good teams that i might have heard of?

16. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Thomas, I've never been the clan type, but my 3 cousins are in the clan Fraggers Hall. Don't know if you've heard of it, but they're damn good!

17. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I used to eat and sleep Tribes 1.. I lived for that game, how many hours did I punch, and how much did I play...

Always under the tag "Bordak"... Played on team SYNC from www.synchroplay.com for a couple months when they created a team, and some |TFN| before that (only lasted 4-5 months)

I have VERY fond memory's of OGL competitions, and 1 on 1 disklauncher battles.

I can honestly say, I feel empty inside every time I think of my current Medal of Honor or Wolfenstein multiplayers passions.... They are but a dull glimmer in the corner of my eye compared to the passion and competitive spirit the Tribes community instilled in me.

On an odd note, I installed Tribes 2 yesterday out of the blue (had not seen this thread) and have been playing a bit the past few hours... A bit rusty on the flying and skiing, but getting the hang of it... Still, a shadow of Tribes 1, but refreshing none the less. Unfortunately, the community is nothing like it was in Tribes 1, but still pretty tight knit.

For anybody interested, I am running version 25034 and play classic base servers, under the tag Bordak.

Been over a year since I logged in, all the in-game features and boards are gone, as well as email accounts, I was quite disappointed.

As well, the damn game still runs choppy in heavy firefight scene's, even on a 1.6 ghz Tbird and a Radeon 9700 Pro. [​IMG]

Sorry for the novel, but I've waited a long time to get that off my chest. [​IMG]

18. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

19. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I found this on IGN:

20. James T

James T Screenwriter

If Tribes 3 is coming to Xbox Live, I'm there. I stopped playing Computer games because of the inconsistancy of the game speed. Not to mention how much the companies lie about the min. requirements for games.