What's new

Toshiba problem? (1 Viewer)

John Noble

Auditioning
Recently purchased a Toshiba 56H80 RPTV, decreased contrast to ~40% for burn-in period before full ISF calibration. All is well in normal cable TV input (the best that can be expected) but have a problem when using DVD with component inputs (Colorstream #4 and #5).
I am using a Cal Audio CL-2500 DVD (set up correctly) with good video cables to the RPTV. When playing any DVD there are two color bands that scroll from bottom to top (they are about one-tenth of the vertical screen size, move together and take about fifteen seconds from bottom to top of screen. One is pale red, other pale green.
Had the DVD replaced, same problem. Checked with s-video and composite connections, less of a problem but still there.
Wanted to post here in hopes that someone has seen this problem and will reply before I venture into the dealer or Toshiba for service. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Did you check the setup on the tv and make sure the colorstream inputs are set to dvd?
This setting only affects the black level of the TV. When it is set to DVD, black level is supposed to go down to 7.5 IRE and when it is set to HDTV, it will go to 0 IRE.
Setting this switch incorrectly really won't have any affect regarding the problem described.
------------------

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Add to that the H series for 2001 dropped the DVD/DTV distinction in the menu. It no longer matters.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

John Noble

Auditioning
Thanks for the info? Checked the operating manual to determine the setting (DVD or DTV) for the two Colorstream inputs. Didn't find any instructions other than labeling? How would one do this on the 56H80?
I have called Toshiba, they are sending a service technician next week and I will post the results.
Michael, are you planning a trip for ISF calibrations to northern California soon? I would be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks