What's new

General Discussion Is the "THIS" TV network copy-protected? (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I didn't get any search results for the topic...

The other day, I tried to record a movie on the "THIS" tv network, via Comcast (the movie channel owned by MGM), and my Toshiba DVD recorder couldn't record it. I don't know that I've ever tried to record anything from this channel before, and this is the first time I've ever encountered this issue.

I got an error message, so I thought it was a bad disc, and I put in another blank. This time, it recorded for about 35 seconds then went into "pause" mode automatically. I tried to un-pause it to resume the recording, and I got the same error message that I did before. I used the same disc to try and record something on another channel, and I had no issues recording.

Just out of curiosity, I went back to the "THIS" channel and tried to record it on VHS, and I had no problem, so evidently this is a problem making a digital recording. I was thinking about trying to record onto a DVD-R again, but this time using the antenna feed instead of cable ("THIS" also broadcasts over the air), but I haven't tried it yet.

I don't use a DVR, so I don't know if I'd be able to make a recording that way either.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I was a bit flummoxed as I've never experienced this before, and never had a problem recording any channel with my old Sony DVD recorder, which bit the dust several years ago. But like I said before, I don't recall if I've ever tried recording from "THIS" before.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I didn't get any search results for the topic...

The other day, I tried to record a movie on the "THIS" tv network, via Comcast (the movie channel owned by MGM), and my Toshiba DVD recorder couldn't record it. I don't know that I've ever tried to record anything from this channel before, and this is the first time I've ever encountered this issue.

I got an error message, so I thought it was a bad disc, and I put in another blank. This time, it recorded for about 35 seconds then went into "pause" mode automatically. I tried to un-pause it to resume the recording, and I got the same error message that I did before. I used the same disc to try and record something on another channel, and I had no issues recording.

Just out of curiosity, I went back to the "THIS" channel and tried to record it on VHS, and I had no problem, so evidently this is a problem making a digital recording. I was thinking about trying to record onto a DVD-R again, but this time using the antenna feed instead of cable ("THIS" also broadcasts over the air), but I haven't tried it yet.

I don't use a DVR, so I don't know if I'd be able to make a recording that way either.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I was a bit flummoxed as I've never experienced this before, and never had a problem recording any channel with my old Sony DVD recorder, which bit the dust several years ago. But like I said before, I don't recall if I've ever tried recording from "THIS" before.
I would suggest trying the OTA method as that is less likely to have any copy-protection.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I would suggest trying the OTA method as that is less likely to have any copy-protection.
Thanks, I think I will try that if I ever have any interest in recording something from that channel again. It will require moving some equipment, though, which will be a pain. Normally I don't record movies from channels like "THIS" which shows commercials and speeds up the credits to cram them into their time slots, unless it's just for time-shifting purposes.

I actually checked their website to see if I could confirm the use of copy-protection, but there is no mention of it on their site. I wonder how many other channels use this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks