What's new

Weird Disc Rot (?) Experience (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I had a weird experience with the Game of Thrones Season 6 disc one blu-ray yesterday. I had watched it with zero problems when it came out some years ago. I put it into a Toshiba player, and it started to play, then froze with rainbow colored pixelation. The player wouldn't respond at all until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I took out the disc, cleaned it and tried again. Same thing. Okay, I thought, the disc has gone bad. Unfortunate but it can be replaced or we can just watch those episodes on HBO; displeased but not tragic. But then to confirm whether it was the player or the disc I tried it on an LG player in another room. Same thing. Okay, the disc is definitely bad.

But then the Toshiba player would not work at all with any other disc either. I tried Blu-rays and DVDs, same thing. Uh oh. I checked the LG player. Same thing. Neither player will play any discs any more, they just lock up and freeze. Unplugging only works to the extent that they will then turn on, but once a disc goes in, it's Game Over. It seems unlikely that two players by different manufacturers that had worked flawlessly for years would spontaneously fail at once. Is there some way that this disc could destroy a player's firmware? Or do something else highly destructive? Is this disc known to be problematic, or is this a one-off?

Picked up a new Sony player to replace the Toshiba, which was getting old anyway, and it plays disc two of Game of Thrones S6 just fine. I'm leery of putting disc one in to try it out lest it screw that one up too.

Any ideas what's happening here?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I had a weird experience with the Game of Thrones Season 6 disc one blu-ray yesterday. I had watched it with zero problems when it came out some years ago. I put it into a Toshiba player, and it started to play, then froze with rainbow colored pixelation. The player wouldn't respond at all until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I took out the disc, cleaned it and tried again. Same thing. Okay, I thought, the disc has gone bad. Unfortunate but it can be replaced or we can just watch those episodes on HBO; displeased but not tragic. But then to confirm whether it was the player or the disc I tried it on an LG player in another room. Same thing. Okay, the disc is definitely bad.

But then the Toshiba player would not work at all with any other disc either. I tried Blu-rays and DVDs, same thing. Uh oh. I checked the LG player. Same thing. Neither player will play any discs any more, they just lock up and freeze. Unplugging only works to the extent that they will then turn on, but once a disc goes in, it's Game Over. It seems unlikely that two players by different manufacturers that had worked flawlessly for years would spontaneously fail at once. Is there some way that this disc could destroy a player's firmware? Or do something else highly destructive? Is this disc known to be problematic, or is this a one-off?

Picked up a new Sony player to replace the Toshiba, which was getting old anyway, and it plays disc two of Game of Thrones S6 just fine. I'm leery of putting disc one in to try it out lest it screw that one up too.

Any ideas what's happening here?
Never heard of that sequence nor specifically the dsic itself being a worm. If you've not done it alreayd I'd unplug it overnight and then try a hard reset (back to factory setting). If you have a memory card or USB remove that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks