Toshiba 42h81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveBjr, Oct 3, 2001.

1. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

The 42h81 will be arriving at my house on Friday. I have a few questions. This is my first widescreen TV so i'm new to them.
    1) When i'm watching regular TV about how big will Pan & Scan broadcasts be on a 42" widescreen?
    2) What is the best type of component video inputs to use?
    Once it arrives and i start setting it up i'll probably be back to ask some more questions...any tips or opinions you wanna share with me please do [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

2. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

From my calculations, you would be looking at a 34" 4:3 TV. The best connections would of course be component connectors, but for type, I'm not sure. I believe Monster cables are over priced. I'd think spending $100 on a set of component cables would be the maximum you'd want to spend [​IMG]
    Hope that helps.
    Chris.

3. SteveBjr

Thanks Chris, sheesh i hope they don't cost $100...thats alot of cash to spend on cables.
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I've had the Toshiba 42H81 for a couple weeks now. I think I can answer your questions. [​IMG]
    1) Any material presented in a 4x3 format will be roughly equal to a 36" 4x3 TV. That's what I found when I measured it on mine.
    2) I use a Silver Serpent component video cable from Better Cables . However, I have found that on my system the cable doesn't improve the quality of the video much at all.
    I highly suggest you take a look at a thread I started at Home Theater Talk . You'll probably have many questions once you get the set, and this thread will certainly supply some of those answers. Also, feel free to e-mail me if you need any other questions answered.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"
    [Edited last by Jeffrey Forner on October 03, 2001 at 11:15 PM]

5. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

What does cable look like on the set? I know it has the line doubler, so I am hoping that it doesn't completely butcher standard cable. (When I buy the TV, I will need to wait to purchase satellite, and in Canada, I am not able to access terrestrial hi-def broadcasts.)
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    ---
    rob michaw

6. SteveBjr

What picture settings do you use when watching movies (contrast, brightness, etc.)?
    What mode do you use to watch movies?
    I just got my TV yesterday and i'm loving it. It's just amazing, i can finally see what you guys are talking about when you talk about the video transfers...i used to have a 27" so i couldn't really tell a big difference in video quality, pretty much all DVDs looked good on my 27". I'm just so impressed with movies now. It's a whole new experience watching it on a widescreen.
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection