What's new

Toshiba 42h81 (1 Viewer)

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
The 42h81 will be arriving at my house on Friday. I have a few questions. This is my first widescreen TV so i'm new to them.
1) When i'm watching regular TV about how big will Pan & Scan broadcasts be on a 42" widescreen?
2) What is the best type of component video inputs to use?
Once it arrives and i start setting it up i'll probably be back to ask some more questions...any tips or opinions you wanna share with me please do :)
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Chris M

Second Unit
From my calculations, you would be looking at a 34" 4:3 TV. The best connections would of course be component connectors, but for type, I'm not sure. I believe Monster cables are over priced. I'd think spending $100 on a set of component cables would be the maximum you'd want to spend :)
Hope that helps.
Chris.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I've had the Toshiba 42H81 for a couple weeks now. I think I can answer your questions. :)
1) Any material presented in a 4x3 format will be roughly equal to a 36" 4x3 TV. That's what I found when I measured it on mine.
2) I use a Silver Serpent component video cable from Better Cables . However, I have found that on my system the cable doesn't improve the quality of the video much at all.
I highly suggest you take a look at a thread I started at Home Theater Talk . You'll probably have many questions once you get the set, and this thread will certainly supply some of those answers. Also, feel free to e-mail me if you need any other questions answered.
------------------
-J.Fo
"Why do I always get a warped one?"
[Edited last by Jeffrey Forner on October 03, 2001 at 11:15 PM]

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
What does cable look like on the set? I know it has the line doubler, so I am hoping that it doesn't completely butcher standard cable. (When I buy the TV, I will need to wait to purchase satellite, and in Canada, I am not able to access terrestrial hi-def broadcasts.)
Thanks.
------------------
---
rob michaw

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
What picture settings do you use when watching movies (contrast, brightness, etc.)?
What mode do you use to watch movies?
I just got my TV yesterday and i'm loving it. It's just amazing, i can finally see what you guys are talking about when you talk about the video transfers...i used to have a 27" so i couldn't really tell a big difference in video quality, pretty much all DVDs looked good on my 27". I'm just so impressed with movies now. It's a whole new experience watching it on a widescreen.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks