Progressive Scan DVD Player and TV with 3:2 Pulldown

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Bendiksen, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I realize this is a dumb question, but here goes...

I am currently using an old Toshiba DVD player (not progressive scan) with a Toshiba 42H81 widescreen HDTV with 3:2 pulldown ("Cinema" mode in the Toshiba lingo) enabled. Now that progressive scan DVD players are so incredibly inexpensive I am going to purchase one. Here's the question, though: Is it okay to leave 3:2 pulldown "turned on" on my TV or will doing so cause any unusual results since the progressive scan DVD player will already being handling the de-interlacing?

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Most of the time very cheap progressive players will be no improvment. As you stated your Toshiba HDTV already has a built in line doubler that converts to 540p. Your TV set will take 480i or 480p from a dvd player and upconvert it to 540p. So regardless of which player you have, progressive or non progressive, the TV will still upconvert to 540p. In your case it may be more useful to get a player to upscales to 1080i. This way you avoid any processing from your TV's line doubler. I don't know if your Toshiba has DVI or HDMI inputs or not, but if it doesn't your options are limited as not many players allow scaling via component cables. The Zenith 318 with build dates of around March 2004 and older will upconvert to 1080i. But be aware that the Zenith has core video issues such as macroblocking and pixel cropping. It seems as is all of the upscaling players have issues of some sort so none are perfect. I would maybe try the zenith and return it if you dont' like it. But I don't think a real cheap progressive scan player is going to give you any benefit.

3. John S

John S Producer

On many modern displays, you are every bit as well off, just using it the way you have it. Many threads on here, about better performance with 480i over component on video on such displays as you have.

4. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Wow...thank you for the info. This is very eye-opening. I guess I should give a little bit of further explanation. I have always been extremely happy with my current setup (as described in my initial post). However, I had a recent situation which threw me for a loop. When I viewed Disney's new Aladdin, for the first time ever on my television I saw what can best be described as artifacts related to problems with deinterlacing or 3:2 pulldown. The artifacts were extremely obvious to me (although my wife didn't see them until I explicity pointed them out to her), although the problem was most glaring during "busy" scenes. (The most obvious example was when Iago the parrot was flying to escape the magic carpet in the scene when Aladdin first introduces himself to the royal family.) Now, here's the REAL kicker: When I changed my Toshiba TV from "Cinema" (3:2 pulldown) mode to "Video" (non-3:2 pulldown) mode this problem seemed to disappear, much to my surprise. I began to wonder whether there was something wrong with my set and I then pondered whether purchasing a progressive-scan DVD player might be the solution since it would in effect handle the 3:2 pulldown in the digital domain,.

To reiterate, I'm pretty anal-retentive when it comes to picture quality (although unfortunately I'm not as analytical as many "videophiles" who frequent HTF), and during the three years before this point that I have owned this same Toshiba TV and DVD player I have never witnessed what might be called "de-interlacing" artifacts. I've only seen it with Aladdin. Therefore, I suppose if I don't see the problem manifest itself with any other discs I should probably leave well enough alone. The whole situation just puzzles me a little bit, though.

I would appreciate any additional advice that you HTFers can offer. Thank you so much!

[​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

Mark Bendiksen.....

You run into this from time to time, even on the DVD players that provide 3:2 pulldown.

Sometimes it is an improperly flagged disc, or sometimes, the de-interlacer just does not pickup the flags, ect...ect...

You did the exact correct thing if either of these were the case... You change it and see if it is better.

It is a little harder for the display to catch the correct mode, or some won't auto switch when it needs to, so manual switching is the answer.