What's new

TOshiba 42H81 work ok from PC for gaming ? (1 Viewer)

RichardTomsen

Auditioning
Hi,

I am thinking about hooking up my PC to my Toshiba 42H81 (its an HDTV ready RPTV) and play some games. I have a 1.6 Ghz Aflon and a gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 video card. It has S-video out on the back of the card, I guess it will automatically sense that the S-video is being used and help me set up the TV ???

ANyone BTDT ? Is it a good idea or a waste of time. Any cautions ?? I want to play some First Person shooters with the 'ole subwoofer and big TV.

Lemme know,
Thanks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You run a slightly greater risk of burn-in on the TV set by using it as the video display to play video games.

And as some unfortunate folks who have suffered "burn-in" will attest, it's a painful reminder to alternate normal TV viewing with video game playing.

If you do hook it up, make sure your PC video display resolution is set low (640x480), and bump it up in increments to see what the TV will display properly (it might do 800x600).

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I think you'd be better with a RGB->component adapter, the picture will be much better than s-video.

Yes burn in will be a bigger risk since a lot of games will have certain items like HUDs that remain relatively constant. From other people I hear that as long as you keep the TV doing other stuff like normal viewing, movies, etc. as much as you use the computer any given day then you'll be fine.

Also a lot of games have seperate coniguration files that you can manually set a more proper HD resolution than what the in-game selections allow. This will give you a better all around experience.

good luck!

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
as far as the burn-in problem goes, so long as your tv is properly calibrated you won't have much of a problem. i've played COUNTLESS hours of street fighter on my tosh 40x81 and i still don't see an ounce of burn in from the power meters that are always on screen. if you don't have it, pick up video essentials or avia and make sure your tv is set up properly.

as for hooking up your tv from your computer... if you go to ati's site, they might still have their dvi to component adapter. they make it sound like it's ONLY for ati cards tho. i don't see how that'd be possible but... you never know. anyone else play around with this? it'd be a much cheaper alternative to buying a vga to component adapter seeing as how it's like... 20 or 30 bucks usd...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks