What's new

Tori Amos bonus dvd: a mini-review (1 Viewer)

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
For those that care...
With Tori's new cd you also get a bonus dvd of two videos: "Gold Dust" and "A Sorta Fairytale" The back of the slipcase lists it as Dolby Digital, but the videos are in PCM only. Sound quality is great- like the cd. No subtitles are provided.
In terms of extras, you get commentary (also in PCM) by Tori that runs over the two videos. This is NOT a technical commentary! If you've listened to Tori in interviews, you know what I'm talking about. Its mostly about her thoughts on the new album and her interpretation of the videos. There is also what amounts to a still gallery put to "Taxi Ride" from the new album- no commentary over that.
Video quality is a tough call. The two videos were shot in 8mm so they're VERY grainy with pumped-up colors. The bit rate is between 7-10 for both.
Overall a nice little addition to a decent cd... that is if you dig Tori.
:)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
What new CD is this? The last thing I remember was Strange Little Girls, which I didn't like.
I hate it when performers decide that it is time to sell covers of their favorite songs. 1 or 2 is OK, but not a whole album.
Whoops! Went to www.hereinmyhead.com. Cool! Time to look around. I was at Fry's Saturday morning, and they didn't have it...
No date for Houston yet ....

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Phillip,
The new CD came out today. It's called "Scarlet's Walk." The DVD is included with the "deluxe editon" cd, which also has polaroids, a charm, stickers and a map. Neat little set. I've been listening to this Cd most of today, and so far I feel that it's her best work since Boys for Pele. I got my copy at FYE for $21 this morning.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I downloaded a DivX encoded AVI of the Sorta Fairytale video (Link on a thread on this site's music section) and it's completely different than the one on the DVD. Is that a US vs UK version or what?

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I meant no show date for Houston. I was checking out the concert dates at the above mentioned web site.

So far, I like a sorta fairytale, strange, Carbon, and I can't
see NY the best.

Clint B

Second Unit
Great album, and great DVD that goes along with the limited edition.
By the way, there are no definite dates yet for Texas, but there's a little blurb on The Dent (one of the biggest Tori sites on the web) that indicates she'll be in the Lone Star State next year! :D

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Rumor has it that she'll tour the Midwest in March or April of 2003! I can't wait. Its such a great album, with uch beautiful songs. The LE set is pretty neat, although I have no idea what I would use those stickers for :)

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen the DVD yet, but I must admit that I didn't think this album was that good--it was just too mellow for me (actually put me to sleep the first night I listened to it). Also, I thought the recording quality was not as good as previous albums too. But that' s just me on my system, YMMV.

On a more positive note, she'll be in Massachusetts later this month and my wife and I will be going to the show. Maybe I'll change my mind about the album after I've heard the cuts live!

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but Tori opened the tour last night in Tampa...AND PLAYED 27 SONGS!!
Set List:
Wampum Prayer
A Sorta Fairytale
In The Springtime of His Voodoo
Bliss
Crazy
Take To The Sky
Pancake
Caught A Lite Sneeze
Mrs. Jesus
Crucify
Wednesday
Improv/Cloud On My Tongue (solo)
Cool On Your Island (solo)
Cooling (solo)
Strange
Concertina
Sweet Sangria
Lust
Amber Waves
Don't Make Me Come To Vegas
Hotel
I Can't See New York
Spring Haze
Encore 1:
Virginia
Past The Mission
Encore 2:
Tear In Your Hand
Hey Jupiter (Dakota)
What an embarrasment of riches! I'm seeing her next week at the Riverside Church in NYC and in Camden...my first Tori shows ever. Waiting is CRUEL! :)

CraigL

Screenwriter
How did you get Riverside tickets? They sold out in less than 5 minutes!!!
In any case, I'm seeing her this week as well in nyc. It'll be my seventh or eighth show. I can't remember anymore! The day after the Riverside concert, she is doing a private show that's going to be recorded for an upcoming DVD. i got tix. And I'm also going to Radio City in March.
Did anyone make a cover for this dvd that fits a case? I'd love to print one out!
Can't stop listening to the album. And to whomever said it's too mellow for them...ummm...have you EVER heard a tori album? She's known more for that amongst my circle of friends than anything else. You can judge how depressed you are by the music...
There's Sarah McLachlan depressed...and then there's TORI depressed. ;)

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Craig
I have no idea. I logged into ticketmaster at about 9:59, went to the ordering page, and boom, there they were. Sometimes, the Gods (or is it the goddess) ;) smiles on you.
How did you get tix for the industry only show??? its being filmed for a DVD? AWESOME. You must post a setlist after that show.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi, all:

It is my understanding that Grady would like to focus this discussion on the bonus DVD. If we can stick to that, the thread can stay here. Otherwise, I'm starting to feel the gravitational pull of the Music section. Thanks!

JB

Clint B

Second Unit
You won't be disappointed. The DVD, while short, is pretty cool. The images that are shown with the songs (especially "Gold Dust") are quite beautiful and thought-provoking. And the optional commentary from Tori is great!

CraigL

Screenwriter
Funny that THIS is the first Tori Amos dvd. It takes Epic to get her stuff on DVD.
Atlantic apparently couldn't get it right after two failed attempts at getting a DVD out for Tori. The closest she came was the Music Video dvd that was announced then postponed then announced then cancelled. Apparently it was due to Tori not having any interaction with the company on this issue. I'm betting it may see the light of day someday when the rumored greatest hits album comes out...IF it comes out.
Then there was the DVD that was filmed from the Plugged tour and eventually was never released. That never even got a release date. In fact, I'd love to know if it was even edited together. They filmed the whole concert and then only used pieces for the Bliss video.
Now she has a DVD extra for this album, there's a rumored DVD single for "A Sorta Fairytale" and I'm attending the taping for the DVD concert on Thursday. No one knows anything about it yet...whether it's going to be a regular concert...or something less. They're plugging it as something very intimate so who knows if it'll be something smaller but I'll let you guys know. I'm sure they'd be annoyed at me going up and asking about sound formats and anamorphic widescreen ;) Maybe I can get a look at the monitors.
FYI...Mike...i got tix for the Riverside show tomorrow as well. :) They released some more this afternoon. See ya there! :) Two tori shows in a week :)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Disappointed.
3 "videos"....really third rate film school crap of Tori standing around, in and near Dutton and Shelby Montana. The resulting footage is accompanied by music from the CD. Big deal.
The third song is played with stills from the previous two videos.
A descendant of Cochise (I'm sure) is featured in the second piece. He seems to be leering at the featured artist.
I know I was. This probably is all a lot more impressive if you actually like her music.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
....and while this is focused on the DVD I can't see starting another Tori thread to mention that the on-line capabilities of the CD are less than advertised. I found no bonus in "MS". Other mentioned features seem to not be up and running. I was not able to submit my "win a free ticket" entry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks