What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No luck with the animated 3D titles at my Big Lots. Only saw 3D's for Immortals and Walking with Dinosaurs, but I already picked those up a while back.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
TURBO...damn good animated film. Plenty of depth and the occasional pop out. Enjoyable voices really makes the film. The DTS MA 7.1 audio really enhances the movie. A great addition to your 3D collection. :3dglasses:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
John, get Gun Fury now during the TT sale! It's going fast!

Jose...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I visit Screen Archives almost every week checking to see if the price had gone down. This week I didn't do it but you saved the day!!! :banana:

Now I'm caught up with my golden 3Ds, just waiting to buy a fixed copy of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and waiting for SANGAREE. :3dglasses:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Jose...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I visit Screen Archives almost every week checking to see if the price had gone down. This week I didn't do it but you saved the day!!! :banana:

Now I'm caught up with my golden 3Ds, just waiting to buy a fixed copy of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and waiting for SANGAREE. :3dglasses:
Well, glad you you got Gun Fury. It's worth it. I've seen Sangaree and Creature on the screen and they're great fun.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Probably most of you have these, but I just picked these up at BIG LOTS for $5 each:

MEGAMIND
SHREK THE THIRD
KUNG FU PANDA
RISE OF THE GUADRIANS
TURBO
MADAGASCAR 3
PUSS IN BOOTS
SHREK FOREVER AFTER: THE FINAL CHAPTER :thumbsup: :3dglasses:
Thanks for the tip. Went out today and picked up Shrek 3 and final chapter. Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Puss in Boots. Finished with Immortals 3D for $3. Plus while I was there I got How the West was Won for $5 (not 3D but still good)
These were all things that I had passed on but for $5 I'm in.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Probably most of you have these, but I just picked these up at BIG LOTS for $5 each:

MEGAMIND
SHREK THE THIRD
KUNG FU PANDA
RISE OF THE GUADRIANS
TURBO
MADAGASCAR 3
PUSS IN BOOTS
SHREK FOREVER AFTER: THE FINAL CHAPTER :thumbsup: :3dglasses:

Bought Kung Fu Panda and Puss in Boots. I already have the other titles.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
SUPER RolandL!

Just ordered SANGAREE, so, waiting for Universal to fix the REVENGE, then I'll have all the classics that have been offered.

Started watching FINDING NEMO, but was not impressed with the 3D...plus I fell asleep about 1/4 of the way through it. As you get older, you have lunch and it seems that you're ready for sleep within a short time after eating (blood going to your stomach to help digest, less to your brain, hence falling asleep). Note to me...don't eat before watching a movie in the HT!!!

Will try again tomorrow viewing FINDING NEMO and maybe the 3D will get better.

Just finished painting the ductless a/c(mini-split) in the HT so it blends into the wall where it's mounted...came out perfect.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
SUPER RolandL!

Just ordered SANGAREE, so, waiting for Universal to fix the REVENGE, then I'll have all the classics that have been offered.

Started watching FINDING NEMO, but was not impressed with the 3D...plus I fell asleep about 1/4 of the way through it. As you get older, you have lunch and it seems that you're ready for sleep within a short time after eating (blood going to your stomach to help digest, less to your brain, hence falling asleep). Note to me...don't eat before watching a movie in the HT!!!

Will try again tomorrow viewing FINDING NEMO and maybe the 3D will get better.

Just finished painting the ductless a/c(mini-split) in the HT so it blends into the wall where it's mounted...came out perfect.

John, finding nemo has a pretty dull colour palette for the first part of the film, it's not Disneys best conversion for sure but does get better.

Had a scare on Friday, a curtain came down over my right eye for about 4-5 minutes, felt very sick. It passed but went to A&E Saturday early, upshot is my retinas are fine, they not sure what it was but could of been a clot, a small possibility I had a mini stroke so got an appointment for the stroke clinic.

Be glad to see out 2018!.

Martin.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
John, finding nemo has a pretty dull colour palette for the first part of the film, it's not Disneys best conversion for sure but does get better.

Had a scare on Friday, a curtain came down over my right eye for about 4-5 minutes, felt very sick. It passed but went to A&E Saturday early, upshot is my retinas are fine, they not sure what it was but could of been a clot, a small possibility I had a mini stroke so got an appointment for the stroke clinic.

Martin.

PM sent!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Martin.
Best wishes. I hope to get a good diagnosis.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug

I included Finding Nemo in my top 30 because I think I have a bit different standard in what I appreciate in 3D than others might have: I look for when the 3D effect has a significant storytelling or artistic impact - that's more important to me than noticing the visual impact of the 3D in and of itself. In fact, I like 3D best when I forget it is 3D, and in retrospect realize the 3D itself was important in creating an atmosphere, or moved the story forward in a way that would be missing without the 3D. Pop outs are kind of annoying to me, if they are so noticeable they distract from the story. If they help create meaning or assist in immersion into the scene, then I like them.

Also, I'm still collecting, and I can imagine other animated 3D could bump Nemo.... I don't have Megamind or the Shreks after the 1st one yet.

While on the topic, I really recommend viewing or re-watching the first and third Kung Fu Panda, as their 3D is a work of art, especially so in the 3rd.

Avatar was a revelation for me when I saw it in the theater, and I realized I'd forgotten it was 3D, the world it created just seemed so real and lifelike. When I saw it in 2D by contrast, it looks like flat and artificial video game cut scenes. It is a different and much better movie in 3D. Same for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Some have stated preference for the 4K version of Bladerunner 20xx(date?) because the muted colors of the film palate and slow pace, for examle in the desert scenes, where the tree with roots (no spoiler) is, don't give a lot of 3D wow factor. To me, the desert is more beautiful and lifelike, and the lone tree stands in greater contrast to the bleak surroundings due to the 3d. And of course the holograms in the city and in the apartment really require 3D to complete the intended effect.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I included Finding Nemo in my top 30 because I think I have a bit different standard in what I appreciate in 3D than others might have: I look for when the 3D effect has a significant storytelling or artistic impact - that's more important to me than noticing the visual impact of the 3D in and of itself. In fact, I like 3D best when I forget it is 3D, and in retrospect realize the 3D itself was important in creating an atmosphere, or moved the story forward in a way that would be missing without the 3D. Pop outs are kind of annoying to me, if they are so noticeable they distract from the story. If they help create meaning or assist in immersion into the scene, then I like them.

Also, I'm still collecting, and I can imagine other animated 3D could bump Nemo.... I don't have Megamind or the Shreks after the 1st one yet.

While on the topic, I really recommend viewing or re-watching the first and third Kung Fu Panda, as their 3D is a work of art, especially so in the 3rd.

Avatar was a revelation for me when I saw it in the theater, and I realized I'd forgotten it was 3D, the world it created just seemed so real and lifelike. When I saw it in 2D by contrast, it looks like flat and artificial video game cut scenes. It is a different and much better movie in 3D. Same for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Some have stated preference for the 4K version of Bladerunner 20xx(date?) because the muted colors of the film palate and slow pace, for examle in the desert scenes, where the tree with roots (no spoiler) is, don't give a lot of 3D wow factor. To me, the desert is more beautiful and lifelike, and the lone tree stands in greater contrast to the bleak surroundings due to the 3d. And of course the holograms in the city and in the apartment really require 3D to complete the intended effect.

Not everyone likes pop out, I do myself if it's done well and prefer both depth and pop out.
The King fu panda trilogy are one of my favourites and I rewatch them frequently, for me Dreamworks for most of thier early 3D titles hold the crown, later titles maybe not so much. If you like those surely you like say nWaves The house of magic ( Thunder and the house of magic ) ?.

I agree with a lot of what your saying especially Avatar, this at the cinema way back was what got me hooked into 3D, I could never see anaglyph 3D.

I'm just sat here wondering which copy of Solo a Star Wars story to purchase, the 4K seems to have muted colours in places and not a big step up on the blu Ray, the 3D is reported to be terribly flat and watching trailers it looks like it could be a pretty dark looking film.. I shall probably order it in 3D anyway just because I have the others in that format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks