What's new

Top 10 Anticipated Discs of 2024...So Far (2 Viewers)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Happy New Year everyone! It's '24 - a nice even number that doesn't quite roll off the tongue but still sounds nice. Hope everyone had a safe New Year's Eve. It's time to rub your hands together (as if it were cold but in this case it's a gesture that symbolizes excitement) and start making lists. What are your top ten most anticipated physical media titles for the year so far? Please only list titles that have either been announced or are awaiting announcement (TBA). No rumor mill stuff. My 10:

1) The Abyss
2) True Lies
3) Aliens
4) Funeral Home (1980)
5) Miracle Mile (Remaster)
6) Conan the Barbarian/Conan the Destroyer
7) Dead End Drive-In (4K)
8) Ils (Them)
9) The Wages of Fear (4K)
10) Se7en (4K)

My shopping list is already about a mile long and it does include several rumor mill titles awaiting official announcement but these are the 10 I'm most anticipating at the moment. If Disney is indeed planning on throwing their vault doors open, it could get VERY interesting this year between their proper stuff and the Fox catalog. The only two studios I'm worried about are Warner and Sony. Neither of these seem terribly interested in rolling too much out or licensing to boutiques. Both of them actually do license but in a very limited capacity and with caveats. Lionsgate finally decided to license and I'm glad they did because they hold a nice chunk of films that have been neglected.

Fingers crossed for another robust year!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Lone Star
Conan The Barbarian
The Abyss
True Lies

Theatrical releases that I expect will be released on disc in 2024:

The Boy and the Heron
Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget
The Holdovers
Killers of the Flower Moon
Poor Things
The Promised Land

- Walter

YANG

Screenwriter
TOP10 for the whole year? woah... that would be kind of too big a period to determine which release will get to climb to TOP10 standings over 365days.

if we narrow by quarters, James Cameron planned releases will certainly gets to climb up the TOP10 spot.

Reactions: PMF

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
My most anticipated one is the Conan Chronicles set. And as I've seen in the other site some youtube videos with screenshot comparisons, it looks good.
Now, let's hope the 5.1 audio in the first movie, is good too and includes the missing elements that the previous blu-ray omitted.

edit: Oh, the other most anticipated release on disc (I assume it will be in 2024? I'm buying the Japanese digibook releases of these Ghibli films) is The Boy and the Heron.

Reactions: PMF

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
From what is known that's coming (basically the first quarter or so):

Paint Your Wagon
The Road to Hong Kong
The Conan Chronicles (Conan the Barbarian/Conan the Destroyer)
Sci-Fi Chillers Collection (The Unknown Terror/The Colossus of New York/Destination Inner Space)
The Devil's Partner/Creature From The Haunted Sea
Let's Dance

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
TOP10 for the whole year? woah... that would be kind of too big a period to determine which release will get to climb to TOP10 standings over 365days.

if we narrow by quarters, James Cameron planned releases will certainly gets to climb up the TOP10 spot.

Yeah, I guess a quarterly list would've been more appropriate lol. I was just going by my shopping list of nearly two dozen titles that are expected to drop between now and early Spring. I should've just worded the thread title differently - obviously no one knows what's on tap for the rest of the year except studio heads (and maybe Bill Hunt :) ). We rubes can only speculate. I really do have a long list of titles I plan on picking up in 2024, mostly from boutique labels.

Vinegar Syndrome will be releasing PHASE IV on 4K in February! And they're teasing a "60s anthology horror film, also on 4K. It's being speculated on another forum that it's Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, a personal favorite. Exciting times!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
If Disney is indeed planning on throwing their vault doors open, it could get VERY interesting this year between their proper stuff and the Fox catalog.

Fingers crossed for another robust year!

What do we know about this so far? Will they be licensing to boutique labels?

I had been prioritizing old Fox blurays from before the acquisition on the assumption that rereleases and remasters were not especially likely.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Lonestar is a big one. I already purchased The Holdovers, loved that, so good start of the year. There is a special edition of The Shootist coming from Arrow, I look forward to that.

I still have some films I would really love to see make it to Blu-ray. I think Mike Nichols is missing some big ones, like Catch-22 and Carnal Knowledge, which I guess due to its subject matter some people feel is too hot to touch now. It's a fantastic film though that really deserves a release. The Devils, always one that is missing year after year, again, supposedly too hot to touch.

I wish someone would put 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould on a Blu-ray. Really overlooked but wonderful picture. The great Thank You for Smoking, that needs a Blu. One of the finest and funny satires ever made.

The fantastic Glenn Ford and William Holden color western The Man from Colorado. Beatuifully photographed film and a real barnburner of a story...seems completely forgotten these days. This would look amazing on a Blu!

I mean, as far as what I know is coming, I have ordered all three of the ones mentioned in my first sentence above. I look forward to seeing what else 2024 brings.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I forgot, Meet John Doe is also coming to Blu, huge title!

I hope someone puts Steven Soderbergh's Kafka on on Blu, Criterion, Arrow, anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks