What's new

Too much classic tv? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Would I rather have Lassie on dvd than Leave it To Beaver? Yes. I would also like a few of the series I own to be completed(CBS/Paramount....what happened?).

Other than that I'm pretty happy, and have way more than enough classic tv to keep me satisfied:

-Starsky and Hutch

-Charlie's Angels

-Wagon Train

-Laramie

-The Virginian

-Daniel Boone

-The Guns of Will Sonnet(some of the eps are heavily edited, and unwatchable, but I will still count this)

-Lost in Space

-Highway to Heaven

-The Waltons

-Little House on the Prarie

-M*A*S*H

-Star trek

-The Incredible Hulk

-The Dukes of Hazard

-The Facts of Life

-Gimme a Break(complete)

-Sanford and Son

-The Jeffersons

-TAXI

-Happy Days/Laverne and Shirley/Mork, and Mindy

-Gilligan's Island

-Wonder Woman

-Kung-Fu

-The Love Boat

-Bewitched

-The six Million Dollar Man

-The Bionic Woman(love this show. season 2 coming soon)

-Leave it to Beaver

-Three's Company

-Dragnet

-The A-Team

On my radar:

Father Knows Best, Emergency, Brady Bunch, [WB MOD:all Hannah Barbara, Logan's Run, The Challenge of the Gobots]

Knight Rider, Hazel, I dream of Jeannie, The Partridge Family, and many more.

Be happy with your collection. We can't always get what we want, but there is still plenty of good viewing left in this hobby.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree with the sentiment that some time we obsess so much about release schedules and what is still not out that maybe we don't pay enough attention to what *is* out and how we can still get many hours of enjoyment from what there already is without any self-consciousness about what we can't watch right now.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes I am guilty of thinking about those few precious sets I need to complete my dream collection, but lately I have been better about going and picking something out and watching it. Even if I don't think I am that crazy about watching it, once I put it on, I almost always really enjoy it. So I have been trying to remember that and enjoy my massive collection more and worry about the final pieces less, as they will eventually, hopefully, be released. And the truth is, I have enough classic shows on DVD to last me the rest of my life if I never buy a single one again.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Always having new things to find and to acquire is what keeps the hobby interesting. How boring would it be if we could all get everything we wanted. It would be like the Twilight Zone episode where the gangster gets his every wish, wins every gamble, can have any girl. Finally, he gets so sick of it and thinking he's in heaven, he says send me to other place and he's told he's in the other place. There are always more shows we like that will come available. Physical media may be slowing down but then we get something like Antenna TV, which will soon be running the missing second season of Here Come The Brides and who knows what future gems from the Sony vaults. ME-TV national feed has such things as Dobie Gillis, My Three Sons, Twelve O'Clock High and many other CBS and Fox shows, most in complete and unedited form. And there's RTN with many great unreleased Universal shows. Who knows when the next oddball network will spout up showing something we thought wouldn't be shown again. Still having shows we want is part of the fun.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, just going down the list, the one that really bugs me is Mork and Mindy season 4...I can't understand why that lone season remains unreleased. I know a lot of people hate it--it totally jumped the shark--but looking back, it's just hysterical with Jonathan Winters playing the baby. With the distance of time, we can appreciate it for the comedy that it really was. A lot of the listed shows have been completed, but there's plenty more laughs to come--

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Carabimero
So I have been trying to remember that and enjoy my massive collection more and worry about the final pieces less, as they will eventually, hopefully, be released.

Yes, that's a good way of looking at it.

There aren't that many sets I still really really want,

But I would like to see a Love Boat set,

and WRKP (that's likely to never happen)

we need more classic tv shows to be released better than that animated crap they have on in prime time today

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
My problem is that I haven't learned how to control my spending yet. Coming in late to the game, the last three years has been like a "kid in a candy store." I have more then enough content to keep me busy for probably 10 years without repeating. The good news is that (I think) I'm actually fairly close to being caught since I seem to be focusing mostly on new and upcoming releases rather then scavenging up any more prior releases of interest through various sales.

Although, it isn't the releases themselves that feeds this frenzy, it is forums like this one and the DVDTalk bargains forum that are the biggest instigators. I'd say that probably 75% of what I own I never would have come to the conclusion to buy if it wasn't for all the content discussions and sales information provided across these two forums. So while I'm thankful, my bank account isn't (one out of two ain't bad).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i started collecting big time around 2005. I think first show i bought was what's happening and that time there was very little in dvd section to choose from or the prices were very high, like magnum pi. Fast forward to 2011 and i have completed about 62 shows (including mini-series) and 38 cartoons. I watch only about 2 hrs of tv a night, so i have enought to keep me busy for next 5-6 years. I still collect shows, but i have majority ones i wanted in my collection. I hope over time or when i moved to hamilton, ontario down the road that i will be able to create a group that likes to watch classic tv shows together.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

My problem is that I haven't learned how to control my spending yet. Coming in late to the game, the last three years has been like a "kid in a candy store." I have more then enough content to keep me busy for probably 10 years without repeating. The good news is that (I think) I'm actually fairly close to being caught since I seem to be focusing mostly on new and upcoming releases rather then scavenging up any more prior releases of interest through various sales.

Although, it isn't the releases themselves that feeds this frenzy, it is forums like this one and the DVDTalk bargains forum that are the biggest instigators. I'd say that probably 75% of what I own I never would have come to the conclusion to buy if it wasn't for all the content discussions and sales information provided across these two forums. So while I'm thankful, my bank account isn't (one out of two ain't bad).

Brad, I really do envy you coming to the hobby late. The deals are so phenomenal now it's just not even funny. Unfortunately, I've paid premium prices for the vast majority of dvds in my collection and looking back now I wish I had held up on some things and waited for more sales. In other words I do have some buyer's remorse. It's not that I have a bunch of dvds I regret buying altogether. But I do have a lot I feel I spent too much money on. Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Gary "I also agree about it being dangerous to visit 'bargain' forums - much spending comes from my visits to such places" O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
As some of you already know, I began collecting "Big Time" in the Fall of 2006, after becoming disgusted with what was being showed on Commercial TV. Looking back, It's hard to believe I've progressed as far as I have. Back then I had less than 50 Movies and less than 100 Episodes on DVD. Today I took delivery of a TV Series I purchased last week from "The Big River" (http://amazon.com) that sent my TV Episode Inventory past the 23,500 Mark. and this weekend my Movie Inventory should surpass the 1,700 Mark. I've done most of my purchases from the Bargain Bins, along with BOGO Sales from websites such as Amazon, Deep Discount or others, as well as Flea Markets and Garage Sales. IMO there's no such thing as too much Classic TV, as if runs circles around 99% of what's laughingly being passed off as "Programming" these days.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
MeTV was mentioned in this thread and I got curious and typed it into a search engine.

I wish Time Warner in upstate NY carried that since it sounds great. :(

“Our goal over the long haul is to turn (Me-TV) into the Turner Classic Movies of classic TV"

I sure hope I get that network someday. Between that and TCM, I'll never have a shortage of good stuff to watch on tv when I'm too lazy to get up and pop in a DVD.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb

Yeah, I guess there's 2 ways to look at it. I've been able to finish viewing some holy grail shows since I had started collecting earlier.

Double-dipping, that's a good point. I think I've dd'ed on 2 series in the collection so far. I would have done that more but there were several shows where I held off buying them when they were initially released so I avoided a little more dd'ing due to that.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I still have shows I want to buy, having gotten started several years ago, very slowly, and having picked up the pace in the last few years. I paid more early on than if I had waited, but a few things went OOP, so I am glad I bought what I did. I would like to see more classic TV released as I have about zero interest in today's TV shows.

I have avoided double dipping as much as possible, but for certain all-time favorite shows I would, especially for an upgrade.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

MeTV was mentioned in this thread and I got curious and typed it into a search engine.

I wish Time Warner in upstate NY carried that since it sounds great. :(

“Our goal over the long haul is to turn (Me-TV) into the Turner Classic Movies of classic TV"

I sure hope I get that network someday. Between that and TCM, I'll never have a shortage of good stuff to watch on tv when I'm too lazy to get up and pop in a DVD.

It's not picked up by Comcast in MD yet either. Looking at the lineup it looks like another grail network for the classic TV enthusiasts. Many could be of special interest for capturing the last few seasons if they stay/become stalled (e.g., Untouchables, Perry Mason, 30 minute Gunsmoke's), as well as a few I've never had an opportunity to watch. I currently get the Encore channels, as well as THIS and the RTV networks, which have kept me busy enough with a few shows. Hopefully, it gets a really national presence in a few years so we can all enjoy what they have to offer.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Funny, isn't that what TV Land was supposed to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks