What's new

Too much classic tv? (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Another thing I forgot to mention is that by starting out later a few shows have Bluray options. I had always wanted to see The Prisoner, so when it was in the $40 range, I bought the Bluray version. I have never purchased Star Trek, but I plan to eventually get the Bluray version of that, too. I didn't luck out on Twilight Zone though. I waited until the DE version because I did not care for the collections compilations, but now it is on Bluray.

I hope Me TV is able to attain its goal. We need a classic TV station that treats classic TV (The Golden Age era) with respect.

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Originally Posted by ChrisALM

I hope Me TV is able to attain its goal. We need a classic TV station that treats classic TV (The Golden Age era) with respect.

I haven't seen MeTV (not yet available in my area), but if it's a sister network of This TV, I wouldn't expect to see too much respect. The movies and TV shows I've seen on This TV have been time-sped. I know there are many people who aren't bothered by pal speedup and time-sped shows, but to me it's obvious, and completely takes me out of the story. I don't even have This TV programmed into my set anymore. It's one thing to see syndication cuts, but when the show is also time-sped, that's the classic definition of adding insult to injury. If MeTV arrives in my area, I'll check it out. But if the shows turn out to be time-sped, I'll choose "hidden" mode for it, just as I do with This TV. It would be a shame, too, because the MeTV roster of shows is much better than Antenna TV.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, none of these channels are going to be the TCM of Classic TV unless/until they become available nationally via satellite. If Direct TV and Dish don't carry the network in question then it's far from being a national network like TCM. Just my two cents.

Gary "I do wish Direct TV would pick a few of these stations up" O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Well, none of these channels are going to be the TCM of Classic TV unless/until they become available nationally via satellite. If Direct TV and Dish don't carry the network in question then it's far from being a national network like TCM. Just my two cents.

It is unlikely That either ME-TV or ANTENNA TV will get clearance on DirecTV or DISH until the FCC makes it mandatory for them to carry sub-channels - and even then there's the issue of finding space for 1,000 new regional channels!

Neither channel will offer a national feed to either service as it would alienate the over-the-air affiliates. It is simple as that.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Gary, that isn't going to happen. ME-TV, ANTENNA TV and RTV are affiliate based over-the air networks. Neither channel will offer a single national feed to DirecTV & DISH as it would not only alienate their over-the-air affiliates. (ION TELEVISION is different, for instance - they own the all the stations of their network!) There's also licensing issues with the shows - their agreements are for national over-the-air broadcast.
As for the local stations,which are on sub-channels, they will not get clearance on DirecTV or DISH until the FCC makes it mandatory for them to carry sub-channels - and even then there's the issue of finding space for 1,000 new regional channels! It is simple as that.

Several RTV markets are on the main,or prime channel, and those are available in their local market packages for those areas.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Denny,

So when you say "over-the-air networks" that also includes cable because cable is area bound? Just trying to get an understanding on the semantics.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Richard V

Funny, isn't that what TV Land was supposed to be?

Yeah... 10 to 15 years ago, before they went the way of every other network and started airing sitcoms from the 90s you can see on 20 other channels, and lame reality shows that pull in the 18-49 mouthbreather demographic.

Now, TV Land is just another generic channel with nothing on.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They're going national at least, so I suppose there's a chance we'll all have access to it one of these days.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I get the sub-station argument because that clearly is a regional/local thing. But if any of these stations have a national feed I don't see why they can't work out a deal with Direct TV to broadcast the national feed. I'm sure there are all kinds of legalities and such though, so I'm just not even thinking about it right now. If it happens, great. If not, I can live with that too since most of my holy grails have been released. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have access to many of these series that are being shown right now, but it's not going to drive me crazy if I'm unable to view them.

Gary "the best deal, to my thinking, would be if Encore created a classic TV channel and ran shows uncut and commercial free" O.

Dirk06

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Gary "the best deal, to my thinking, would be if Encore created a classic TV channel and ran shows uncut and commercial free" O.

Of course, I'm all for shows running uncut, but I'm okay with them running commercials. After all, television programs were developed specifically to include commercial breaks. It's so jarring when a movie gets commercial breaks because the movie was never intended to have the breaks in the first place, so they have to break the movie up in unnatural and sometimes odd places.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by smithb

I get the sub-station argument because that clearly is a regional/local thing. But if any of these stations have a national feed I don't see why they can't work out a deal with Direct TV to broadcast the national feed. I'm sure there are all kinds of legalities and such though, so I'm just not even thinking about it right now. If it happens, great. If not, I can live with that too since most of my holy grails have been released. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have access to many of these series that are being shown right now, but it's not going to drive me crazy if I'm unable to view them.

The point is ANTENNA TV and ME-TV are both an affiliate based networks, and if they offered the national feeds to DirecTV/Dish, it would be hurt them two fold - The current affiliates would be upset that they didn't put more pressure on DirecTV and Dish to pick up THEIR sub-channels, and It would be a deterrent for stations who want to join the network - why should they join if not only don't they get coverage on DirecTV and Dish, but the network has it's feed up there.

Yes, there would be loads of rights issues and legalities they would have to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks