What's new

Tobey Maguire Possibly Out for Spider-Man Sequel (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
According to Variety, Tobey Maguire may miss the sequel to Spider-Man due to a bad back. Reports are that he could be replaced by Jake Gyllenhaal. Too bad. I like Gyllenhaal, but I thought Maguire did a pretty nice job in the Parker/Spidey role. Production on the sequel was set to start April 12.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I think Gyllenhaal would be great for the role as well, but I want consistency. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for Maguire to heal.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I would say that waiting would be the best option. Better to have a Spidey film done right than a Spidey film done now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From the article, waiting doesn't seem to be an option due to other scheduling conflicts. Tobey's gonna lose out on a $17 million payday due to this injury. Yowza!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont think theyll go ahead with Spidey 2 without Tobey.
They could always shoot around him as well.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
This is terrible news! After initially hating SPIDER-MAN, I have come around to the movie in a big way! I want Tobery Maguire for THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Makes you wonder how many shots show Tobey's face in them for them not to consider using a body/stunt double for the Spider-Man action scenes and let Tobey do the Peter Parker scenes.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, Dark Horizons is reporting that things aren't as bad as they seem:

Both MRIB & Sky News reported that star Tobey Maguire may have to pull out of the Spidey sequel less than a month before the production begins shooting on April 12th. The reasoning seemed to be a back injury he sustained while recently filming horse-racing drama "Seabiscuit". A spokesman for Maguire however has since told The Hollywood Reporter that the news isn't too severe though - "After doing two physically demanding films in a row, Tobey has experienced mild discomfort in his back, which is in the final stages of healing...everyone involved wants to be certain he is able to do the intense stunts". Maguire has been working out and showing up for SFX meetings on time which is a good sign. The potential replacement being mentioned - co-star Kirsten Dunst's real life boyfriend Jake Gyllenhaal ("Donnie Darko", "Moonlight Mile") was never in contention according to the young man's agent.
Personally, I think it would be a mistake to recast at this point.

Jason

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I doubt it, these actors are usually insured beyond belief.

Does that really mean he'd get paid even if he didn't do the movie?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think Gyllenhaal would be great for the role as well, but I want consistency.
Bah. Peter gets a new artist (and thus a somewhat new look) every six months or so in the comics. I'd love to see what Gyllenhaal could do with the role, since he was actually the guy I wanted in the first place. I understand why consistency is desirable for a conservative studio, but I'm not sure why audience members always seem so beholden to always having things be the same.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I think it's still rumor at this point. He may have a sore back, but unless he's in traction there's no reason they can't reschedule the actual shoot to front load all of the scenes where he doesn't have to do stuntwork, or scenes he's not in, to allow him another month or so to heal. I wouldn't worry until Columbia makes it official.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought Julianne Moore did a fine job in "Hannibal." I didn't miss Foster at all.

And all the "Batman" films have been pretty financially successful, even with three different actors in the lead.

Will the death of Richard Harris hurt "Harry Potter"? We'll find out next summer.

And I think Gyllenhaal is a good choice if they need a replacement. He's certainly more handsome. :wink:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Gyllenhaal would be great, but I really think they should wait for Maguire to heal. If the Spidey franchise extends beyond 3-4 pictures, re-casting would be understandable, but replacing the lead after just one picture... Ehh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks