What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

To Kill a Mockingbird SE on 09/06/05 (1 Viewer)

Jace_A

Second Unit
To Kill a Mockingbird is already released in a fine SE. The only thing that could possibly be added would be anamorphic enhancement to the film itself. The DVD has a commentary and a 90 minute documentary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

They're adding more than that if it's a 2-disc set. A 90 minute documentary doesn't take up a disc by itself. Also, if the presentation isn't anamorphic then that fine SE is in need of a definite improvement.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
The new Universal announcements are good news. Now how about a Preston Sturges Collector's Set? I need the remaining titles (Hail The Conquering Hero, Great McGinty, Great Moment, Christmas In July). Also, how about re-doing Charley Varrick, Iceman and Coloussus the Forbin Project with Anamorphic Transfers? That was a major blunder than needs to be taken care of. Also MIA are Death Becomes Her:SE, Fletch (20th Aniversary SE) and Matinee (re-issue) and a TREMORS:Francise Collection with an Anamorphic remaster for the original. Universal has a chance to start redeeming themselves after some mis-steps. They were starting to look like Sony.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Definitely anamorphic, as per Universal's own website, and DVD Times says:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of To Kill a Mockingbird (Special Edition) for 6th September 2005 priced at $26.98 SRP. Gregory Peck stars in Robert Mulligan's 1962 classic in which a lawyer in the Depression-era South defends a black man against an undeserved rape charge and his kids against prejudice.

This two-disc set presents the film in 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen with English DD2.0 Mono, DD5.1 & DTS 5.1 Surround, French DD2.0 Mono plus English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features are TBC.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Finally! I've been hoping that Universal would dust this film off at some point and give it a new anamorphic transfer. GREAT news indeed! :emoji_thumbsup:

Guido AC

Grip
A DTS track for To Kill A Mockingbird but not for Dawn of the Dead or The Bourne Supremacy.

I mean really, Universal.

Jace_A

Second Unit

It does when you add a useless DTS track takes up all the space on the first disc. Really, there's nothing left to say about the film that wasn't said in the original SE which, by the way, has an excellent non-anamorphic transfer that looks just fine blown up on my 72" screen.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Yes, it's a pretty decent non-anamorphic transfer (on my 65" Mits), but I'm all OVER this one! Probably my favorite movie of all time, and I've been waiting not-so-patiently for an anamorphic transfer. So many facets. Racism, fatherhood (good and bad), a carefree childhood to a loss of innocence, empathy, etc.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Yes, you're right. I do not have many non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs left in my collection, but this is definitely one of the best I've seen. However, I'll still pony up the cash for the SE. This is absolutely one of the finest films Hollywood has ever produced.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from the bits today

Again on 9/6, Universal will street its To Kill a Mockingbird: Special Edition (SRP $26.98), also a 2-disc set featuring the original full frame video, Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 mono audio, DTS 5.1 audio (no kidding), audio commentary with director Robert Mulligan and producer Alan Pakula, the Fearful Symmetry "making of" documentary, the A Conversation with Gregory Peck featurette, video of Peck's Academy Award Best Actor acceptance speech, video of Peck receiving the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award, a video excerpt from an Academy tribute to Gregory Peck, the Scout Remembers featurette and the film's theatrical trailer. Very nice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Please, don't put in words in my mouth because I never said the original dvd didn't exist, but simply stated that some great films are finally getting what they deserve as great films which are anamorphic presentations on dvd. If you're happy with the original dvd then be so, however, HTF members have been asking that To Kill a Mockingbird have such a presentation for some time now and since, you've only been a member here less than three months perhaps you probably weren't aware of such requests. Anyhow, now that we straighten that out, you can enjoy your dvd while others like myself will look forward to doing the same with this new dvd.

Crawdaddy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Is that "Fearful Symmetry" documentary the same as the original DVD's documentary? I do not have the original DVD. I don't want to see another Field of Dreams debacle.

Gee whiz, Universal are fairly going for remastering overkill recently. I'm not complaining, as they have been doing great films justice, but I really wish they would get with the programme and delve into their extensive catalgue of films never released on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks