What's new

To Good To Be True (1 Viewer)

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys again. i was just checking out some web sites and happed to find something. Not really to sure if they are any good but these $400 dollar beauties sure look good on paper. 95db senstavity,35hz-20khz,200watts, 1 1/4 inch tweeter, 3 way. Not sure if they sound good but for 400 bucks anything with number like that deserve to be looked at. Anyways there called Cerwin Vega and here is a link to the pageHere--------------------->
Also could this just be bullshit? I know car company bullshit about horsepower and practically every other product. Hahah just like when your a little kid and you buy the super flying helicoper that is supposed to go 10 Thousand feet high and 5 miles away with the super remote. You take it out of the box and find you run it with batteries and it just makes fighter jet sound and rolls on the ground. Woo way of topic with that one. God that happens way to often! Anyways back to the speakers. If they are as good as they sound maybe I will consider buying them.
Thankyou!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cerwin Vega have been around for years. I'm pretty sure they started in car audio (making subs), and still make car audio stuff.

Their home stuff is not exactly the best, IMO. $400 is not that great, since you can get some very decent towers in that price range.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, he's talking $400 CND...which is like $260 US, but even with that low price, I would avoid Cerwin Vega unless you like big bassy bloated sound with very little midrange clarity and high end reproduction. A very average home speaker.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Don't buy a speaker based on specs..you must listen first or read lots of reviews by peoples ears you trust.

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Gehz you have way to much time for someone your age!
You respond ever 2 secounds!! Its like instant messaging

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
What is an SVS??
A subwoofer: SVS
I'd be kind of surprised if the Cerwin Vega speakers featured actually have a sensitivity of 95 dB. If that were the case, they wouldn't need a whole lot of power to get 'em up and kickin'. Plus, you wouldn't need a very powerful receiver to drive them.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
MY GOD SVS SUBWOFFERS ARE SOOO EXPENSIVE!!!
How so? Have you been out to Demo a 12" B&W that runs $1,499 (U.S. $$)? Or, a $2,800 (U.S. $$) Velodyne 18" sub? The SV Subwoofers are pretty priced pretty good. When you factor in the value and support, you are getting a bargain.

What do you consider a cheap subwoofer (that performs as good as an SVS) but at a lesser cost? I'm all ears ... and my checkbook is waiting.

Michael_Hml

Stunt Coordinator
Cerwin Vega has been around for a *long* time... close to 50 years, I think. They make a lot of pro speakers and sound reinforcement stuff. I usually refer to them as great college party speakers. They play really loud, have tons of bass and are just the thing for a good rowdy party where all anyone cares about is the quantity of sound.

Off-topic, but loosely related story... My first subwoofer (around 1985 or so) was a 12" Cerwin Vega SW12B from the old DAK catalog (anyone remember them?). In retrospect, it wasn't very good, but at the time it was oh-so-cool. When I got my drivers' license back then, it ended up, enclosure and all, in the trunk of my car (which was completely unheard of at the time - everyone I knew thought I was nuts for doing it).

-Mike

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
DIY Wayne, DIY
I hear you. But, I finally cleaned up my garage a few weeks ago so I could park my car in there. Due to various other projects, my car has been parked in our visitor parking area. My wife would flip if I were to rip things apart again. Plus, I need to apply my efforts to finding another position in my stalled career search. However, I am very capable with woodworking and I do own a very good assortment of tools.
Here's a link to my built-ins: Built-Ins

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Paul:
I have listened to those exact speakers at Best Buy and I think they sound fine.
Cerwin-Vega are on the bright side, but the sound is clean and detailed. Bass is very powerful and "quick", though not as deep as others using 10" woofers. And yes, these speakers need little power to get going--I personally believe their sensitivity rating. (Technical trivia: trying to design a speaker to play loud AND low is difficult, or in other words, e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e.)
(What brand does this boy own? Boston Acoustics. :))
I think some people are sort of offended by this company: they are proud of being a LOUDspeaker manufacturer. I have no problem with them--they do as advertised and don't feed you any artsy-fartsy b.s. about their products. Kind of the audio equivalent of a Camaro Z-28--not ultra-refined but still really fun to drive & affordable too.
Cerwin-Vega "V" Series speakers:
http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/h.../overview.html
LJ

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
And yes, these speakers need little power to get going--I personally believe their sensitivity rating. (Technical trivia: trying to design a speaker to play loud AND low is difficult, or in other words, e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e.)
Lance,

Thanks for the follow-up. About the only other "mainstream" speaker manufacturer to offer sensitivity ratings in this range would be Klipsch - unless, I'm overlooking others.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Sometimes it is hard to control a very effecient loadspeaker because of their loose suspension, often you dont need a powerful amp but a good amp with high damping.Like some pro-speakers or sound reinforcement speakers which will sometimes have sensitivity ratings over 100, JBL for one like the 4311s (I think) I had a pair in my house running off a Sony 55ES 115x2 amp, I thought they sounded OK untill I put an Adcom on them, then they woke up and sounded great. Damping factor was the only big difference between the two, besides power the Adcom was 200x2 but if I tried to run them full power I think you could hear them in the next state.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks