What's new

From Onkyo HT-R494 to Pioneer VSX-834. Good or bad? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I already ordered the Pioneer.

The sound finally ended on the Onkyo. I had it come and go since this getting this Factory Reconditioned in 2016. 3 times the sound stopped and I factory resetted and all was fun again. Sometimes the sound would stop when in menus or when pausing but always came back or resetter did it. But not this time. I read you can heat the Texas Instruments DTS chip but I couldn't find that chip. There's a Panasonic chip, Tashiba and something with the word Logic. Cirrus Logic maybe? I believe that's a graphic chip since my old POS Packard Bell PC had that. The other chips had silver writing on top, my flashlight is also on the way out but I probably couldn't make out much anyway. NOt sure if anybody knows which one to heat up with a hair dryer, the method I'd use. lol

Anyway, the speakers with the Onkyo are 130 w and 6 omhs. The bestbuy guy told me those are good for this unit and I could expand later.

Wondering if anyone knows about the heating the chip thing or if you have this unit and what you think of it. I'm hoping it's a step up, which it looks like it is. It cost me $353 from amazon. Bestbuy would have been $410.

ty for opinons and/or help. :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
well they shipped it already. lol still, would love to read about people's experience with similar Pioneer models. And if anyone knows which chip I should heat up to maybe get this Onkyo running in the mean time.

edit: just noticed the seller I got this from looks fishy. Their name is very similar to the word "Amazon". My fault for not noticing. :( Definitely worried about knockoffs. I can't find anything about this item having knockoffs. There are pioneer auto speakers with knockoff warnings.

Oh well, I can always send this back for refund.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
So far so good with this receiver. At first it was dropping out for micro seconds now and then. After adjusting it never does.

I was/am a little confused about atmos sound. This one does either 7.1 or 5.1.2. I thought atmos was 7.1.2. oh well...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was/am a little confused about atmos sound. This one does either 7.1 or 5.1.2. I thought atmos was 7.1.2. oh well...
Atmos refers to the third number, which is for overhead speakers, rather than side ones. The Atmos speakers can be reflecting upward from the front, or preferably mounted on/in the ceiling overhead. So, It could be 5.1.2... or 7.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.4 (those last three your receiver can't do). I suppose it could even be 3.1.2. There are processors that can handle even more speakers.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Atmos refers to the third number, which is for overhead speakers, rather than side ones. The Atmos speakers can be reflecting upward from the front, or preferably mounted on/in the ceiling overhead. So, It could be 5.1.2... or 7.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.4 (those last three your receiver can't do). I suppose it could even be 3.1.2. There are processors that can handle even more speakers.
thanks! I wasn't sure. I did think this one had 7.1.2 at least. Another question is when a movie disc says it is in Atmos does that mean it does 5.1.2 or 7.1.2?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
thanks! I wasn't sure. I did think this one had 7.1.2 at least. Another question is when a movie disc says it is in Atmos does that mean it does 5.1.2 or 7.1.2?
Atmos and DTS:X are no longer channel dependent. IOW, they don't have a defined number of channels. So, you get whatever channels your system can process. That can be a minimum of 3.1.2 and theoretically there's no maximum. Mine can go up to 7.2.4 (11 channels) and some can do 13 channels, but there are processors I've heard of that go up to 64 channels.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Atmos and DTS:X are no longer channel dependent. IOW, they don't have a defined number of channels. So, you get whatever channels your system can process. That can be a minimum of 3.1.2 and theoretically there's no maximum. Mine can go up to 7.2.4 (11 channels) and some can do 13 channels, but there are processors I've heard of that go up to 64 channels.
That does help. the processors upgrade from what the movie disc has? I know this system takes mono and turns it into pretty good sounding 2.1. An old Lost in Space did that this morning. :) Although this one, like you said, can't do 7.1.2. I know it has virtual functions I haven't looked at yet. Seems a pretty nice receiver but if I had the money to spend I'd get a 9 channel since I think those weren't too high.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That does help. the processors upgrade from what the movie disc has?
Well, technically, a home Atmos soundtrack has 7.1 channels. At its core is the regular Dolby HD 7.1 soundtrack we've had since BR came out, but it has additional steering data to allow the processor to create even more channels. That might be why I swear that Atmos soundtracks sound better on my living room system with an Atmos receiver, even though it's only a 5.1 system. I think there's just more immersive surround, even without any Atmos speakers.

As you found out, basic Atmos receivers don't do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4. They only do 7 total channels, not counting subwoofer. For a 9 channel receiver, they usually start around $1K new.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I always have this same thought about speaker setups and I don't know what they haven't done this. a setup with 2 center speakers one for top and one for bottom. that way it comes out in the center of the screen. I think that would make it all perfect. heh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks