What's new

Titanic Soundtrack SACD vs CD (1 Viewer)

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is on DTS CD as well.. I think i would prefer the 5.1 DTS cd over the stereo SACD in this case.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have the DTS CD, CD, and SACD. It's been awhile since I listened to the DTS CD, but I have always found the use of surrounds to be a bit weak. There isn't much going on there.

The SACD beats the CD in my experience. I've done extensive comparisons of "My Heart Will Go On" on the soundtrack discs and the Celine Dion A Decade of Song CD and SACD, and the song is much smoother with a deeper soundstage on the SACDs.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard the SACD but the DTS CD was a dissapointment.There was no surround at all and the bass "suffered" too.I might get the SACD then.
Do anybody have the Dances With Wolves soundtrack on SACD?
Any thoughts?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Lewis:

Do[es] anybody have the Dances With Wolves soundtrack on SACD?
Yup--one of the first SACDs I heard. I like it. I was listening on an exemplary system (Krell amps, B & W speakers) at Bjorn's A/V in San Antonio. It may pale compared to more recent DSD recordings released in multichannel (it is "only" stereo), but (mix engineer) Shawn Murphy's work (he also mixed the Titanic score) is always impressive. (SACD remaster was done by Mark Wilder.)

Paul

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
So would you recommend it over the already exellent cd?
Like I said, I liked what I heard on that ultra high end system during that one listen. YMMV. Although I have many SACDs, I have not yet made up my mind about what SACD player I'm going to get, whether it be the Pio 563A or a future uni player.

Speaking of, I note that you have the Denon DVD-2900. FWIW since you already own one, Joel Brinkley reviews it in the latest (September 2003) SGHT.

Paul

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
anyone have a list of soundtrack scores on SACD, DVD-A and DTS?

thanks.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Chris:

anyone have a list of soundtrack scores on SACD, DVD-A and DTS?
Unless an HTFer chimes in with a personal list, this info. is mildly tough to get all in one place because the major labels supporting each hi rez format have been doing poor jobs of keeping their respective Websites up to date. Because of both this and those sites (understandably) not listing other labels' releases, I've started to unfortunately defer to e-tail sites.

One I frequent is Music Direct since they stock both DVD-A and SACD (and MFSL). It's a lotta clickin', but you can scan their whole stock of SACDs and DVD-As to see what s'tracks are available.

For DTS, try their site.

Some other hi rez s'track/score highlights so far include E.T., A Beautiful Mind, Footloose, Dances With Wolves and Top Gun (SACD); A.I. and Koyaanisqatsi (DVD-A).

Paul

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I have:

SACD
Star Trek: Nemesis
ET
Jerry Goldsmith
ALison Krauss Live
Footloose
Top Gun

DVD-A
Glory (2 channel)
Film Busters
Elvis

DTS
Police
Studio Voodoo
Sampler

My Marantz 8300 SACD playback is crap, thus I value the hybrid discs for the CD layer. DVD-A is inconvenient in that regard.

time to surf.

thanks

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Good luck, Chris. (Didn't realize that Nemesis score had an SACD release. Nice that Varese is supporting hi rez as they do a lot of film score releases. Would love to have SACD of their The Right Stuff/North and South disc.)

Anyone pls chime in if you have heard anything about a multichannel SACD re-release of the Titanic score.

-p

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I wasn't impressed with the DTS sample of Titanic.

But looks like I will be buying about DTS discs next week!

anyone recommend the Bach DTS disc? Is Air the tune used by Coolio?

to me, DTS-ES beats DVD-A and SACD hands down, no contest. use of particular player shoudn't be an excuse (SACD). that just tells me poor planning etc. on the part of their camps.

still looking through music direct.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Chris:

to me, DTS-ES beats DVD-A and SACD hands down, no contest. use of particular player shoudn't be an excuse (SACD). that just tells me poor planning etc. on the part of their camps.
This issue has been debated ad nauseum elsewhere on the Forum and I'd prefer yet another thread not be hijacked with this topic.

More on the Titanic SACD vis-a-vis the CD anyone?

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
score.
In response to my own Aug. 18, '03 query in my post #13 above, it looks like this got released on 2/24/04 (according to Amazon.com). Saw it at Best Buy today.

More info. at HFR. (Interesting that, according to HFR's Brian Moura, there's a different surround mix of "My Heart Will Go On" on this SACD than on Celine's Decade Of Song).

-p

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes I saw it too,after the lackluster DTS CD I'm in the wait and see mode see what people say.I really hope they used a different mix then the DTS but it is doubtfull.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thankfully, its a hybrid (too bad it took Sony all this time to do what they arguably should have done from the beginning--a hybrid disc with DSD stereo and multichannel).

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks