What's new

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Too much information is repeated through the pods and the featurettes.
Obviously, I don't know for sure but I think that if you saw the full documentary, it would be very repetitive with everything else on the set. Listening to the commentaries, they began to repeat information so I can only imagine that the documentary would have done the same thing. I still think that's the main reason it was yanked. I guess there's only so many interesting anecdotes that people remember after eight or nine years.

And technically when Paramount/Cameron talked about the documentary, they said that ALL contents were subject to change. Once the set was officially announced, it was never listed as being on the set. The problem is that they wanted to get the publicity ball rolling so they talked about it before they should have and it got people's hopes up.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

But I'd rather see the information we can speculate would be duplicative presented in an Ed Marsh-directed documentary of the quality of Under Pressure: Making The Abyss rather than on an a la carte basis in "pods."

-p

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just watced the deleted scenes for the very first time and I was glued to my seat! There are some truly wonderful scenes that sadly didn't make the cut, but that I still would have liked to see back in.
My #1 scene is the one with Isador and Ida Strauss on the boat deck, yeah i've heard Jim's reasoning for taking it out and all that, but it's such a poignant moment that it should've stayed.
The other is the scene in the presant with Brock pleading for more time to "work her" and his confrontation with Lizzy, it's a good scene because it show's Brock's determination and also to ease him into his epiphany at the end. Just IMO. ;)
I also loved the scene with Lovejoy stalking Jack and Rose through the silent, sinking dining room, it just showed off the sinking of that room so well, although it's not a scene I would have wanted to see cut back in.
I LOVED the 'Titanic Tour video'!!! Even in the film itself you really don't get a chance to walk around on it and just see it and take it in, this video really shows off the sets that really don't resemble sets at all. I wanted to see the whole video, but we only get cuts of it sadly.
Now, I went to that special features screen with the arrow, but what do I do after that? I tried everything with the buttons and nothing happened. Off to try again...

SteveJKo

Second Unit

I feel the exact same way. It's frightening watching the room fill up so rapidly, but it also would have been a show stopper. The original King Kong had it's spider pit sequence cut by Cooper and Schoedsack because it took away the focus from the fear of Kong and focused the viewer on the spiders, same thing would have happened here. We the viewers would now be focused too much on one man trying to shoot our heroes instead of the main story at hand. The right choice was definitely made here.

Any thoughts on the alternate ending? I didn't hate it, I just felt in the long run it didn't work nearly as well as what we have. But I did enjoy Rose saying to Brock, "You look for treasure in the wrong places..." and Brock breaking out in laughter with Rose. That laughter said to me that Brock will never look at things the same way, like Rose he is forever changed by his encounter with Titanic.

Shaun

Second Unit
Any thoughts on the alternate ending? I didn't hate it, I just felt in the long run it didn't work nearly as well as what we have. But I did enjoy Rose saying to Brock, "You look for treasure in the wrong places..." and Brock breaking out in laughter with Rose. That laughter said to me that Brock will never look at things the same way, like Rose he is forever changed by his encounter with Titanic.
I wasn't all that impressed with the alternate ending and was glad it was thrown out, especially the akward out of place outburst of laughing. Just seemed a little too cheesy given what we, the viewers, had just been through watching the rest of the movie. We had already gotten the point that Brock and his fellow explorers had their lives changed as a result of hearing Rose's story from their tearful reactions. I just think the original ending flowed better with the rest of the movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
all I could think while watching the deleted scenes was that the editor on Titanic must have felt like Sophie in Sophie's Choice
Since Cameron was one of the editors, and won an Oscar for editing to boot, I think he made all the right choices.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also Jack and Rose singing together while walking back to first class, and Rose going to look for Jack in steerage, were wonderful sequences that added even more to their charachters.
That is the one scene I would want to see back in the movie. The only problem with keeping that scene is that I think the dissolve from Rose and everyone dancing in steerage to her and Cal at breakfast works better. It shows her happy and free and they dissolve to her being unhappy and trapped. By putting the Come Josephine scene back in, it would kinda ruin that 'comparison'. That being said, I'd ruin that because I think the deck scene is great. :)
I liked the extended Carpathia scene alot too. It was good seeing the characters that survived. It also showed that Cal did care for Rose but at that point it seems useless to make Cal look more sympathetic.
As for the Lovejoy/Jack fight, it's an amazing scene on its on but it's out of place (to me) at that point in the movie and it seems crazy to try to go after a diamond on a sinking ship. It's not unbelievable since he'd be set for life if he could get it but it still seems like a dumb move on Lovejoy's part. I haven't listened to Cameron's commentary on the deleted scenes yet but I have a feeling that his reason for cutting it is close to that.
I always say that I don't want to see deleted scenes back in a movie. I LOVE seeing the scenes but nearly all of them were just getting away from the main story and I can understand why they were cut.
"Compliments of the Chippewa Falls Dawsons" is a great line. :)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
You guys realize there are THREE "Titanic" threads here?

All active, all growing?

I find it difficult deciding which one to post into, so I end up not posting much of anything!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Looked at the package yesterday at Hwood Vid. I can't believe (well, actually I can) that Par hasn't learned from the class act that is the LOtR EEs that the prone-to-ripping, wrap-it-around-and-glue-it-on paper box label they did on the Indy trilogy is a bad idea that shouldn't have been repeated.
-p
P.S. - Some may be happy to know I contributed to the title's first week sales numbers by buying a copy as a b-day gift for a friend. ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The construction of my box is pretty sturdy, very elegant, with the exception of that Cameron cover that is.
Well, guy's, i've watched everything on the entire set, with the exception of those two easter eggs which i'll be damned if I can find.
I didn't mention what I thought of the alternate ending yet, very cool if not completely disjointed from what came before. Brock bursting into laughter was kinda creepy, he was laughing as if he were having a complete nervous breakdown!
I half expected a dissolve from him laughing to him wearing a straight jacket in the puzzle factory mumbling to himself "She threw it over. She threw it over. Don't you understand? She threw it over."

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Damn Van Ling and his *&^ easter eggs--I geniunely hate that guy and his arrogance in insisting that I should have to waste time figuring out his stupid puzzles to see something I paid good money for.

I cannot get to any of them and would appreciate any help.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nobody seems willing to spill the beans about the eggs here. :frowning: I don't care about secrets and surprises, just tell me how to see them, you can even spoilerize it if you'd like.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Here you go, John:

1. On the Marketing menu page, select the newspaper on the lower right, then press Enter. You’ll see the Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn meeting with James Cameron.

2. To access "Titanic in 30 Seconds with Bunnies", go to the Special Features section and choose Still Galleries. When you're there, select Production Artwork, then highlight Play All, then press the up arrow on your remote. This will highlight the arrow on the screen. Press Enter.

3. To pull up the SNL skit, go to the Deleted Scenes section, and select the chapter menu. On the left side of the screen, select Chapter 29. Highlight the chapter still on the menu, then press down to highlight the couple at the bottom of the screen. Press Enter.

The SNL skit was crap the first time I saw it, and it's even crappier now. It amazes me that SNL is still on TV.

Considering I watch these on my computer, it's much easier to just move the mouse over to the objects needed to play the eggs.

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
This is just to help some people who might not understand how to select some of the things like the news paper....

. To pull up the SNL skit, go to the Deleted Scenes section, and select the chapter menu. On the left side of the screen, select Chapter 29. Highlight the chapter still on the menu, then press down to highlight the couple at the bottom of the screen. Press Enter.
Highlight scene 29 and press RIGHT then DOWN.

HOPE THIS ALSO HELPS

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks. I had found the SNL skit (which I found funny when I first saw it quite a few years ago) with earlier help, but the MTV skit was working me.
Any word on the Discovery Channel specials from July :D
I'd like those as well.
John, I am going to look for the E! Premiere special. If I find, I'll send it to you. It's possible I taped over it :frowning:
Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks