What's new

Titanic SE See Post #541 for Update (1 Viewer)

Kevin P.

Auditioning
Honestly, I have never been more impressed with this DVD. Although the video quality looks the same as the 1999 DVD (save for the anamorphic enchancement), it's not hard to see why, considering that original DVD was one the best non-anamorphic DVDs made.

I'm glad there's not going to be any more releases of this DVD in the future. This is enough and I'm quite pleased.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
John, I am going to look for the E! Premiere special.
I have it. Taped it in SLP though. I recently found about 20 VHS tapes of Titanic related material I recorded in 1997/98 including the HBO doc, Oprah with Cameron, Winslet, Zane, Larry King with Cameron, Lynch, Marscall and Ballard, The Fox special, and tons more. Not in too bad a shape either. Once I get a DVD recorder, I can transfer them and make copies for EVERYONE!.;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since it was his last (as of now anyway) dive to Titanic, maybe Cameron is trying to put together a nice package and overall look at his time on the Titanic for that recent Discovery Channel show. Just a thought/hope. :)
OT, anyone picking up Cameron's Aliens Of The Deep DVD on Tueday? The IMAX in my area never played it so I'll be seeing it for the first time.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
OMG, Nicholas, I DID forget! I am so sorry, dude, I will make the recording and will get it out to you after Halloween, I still have your address in my pm box.

Again, sorry about that. :b

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
We're counting on you, Tino :D I'm glad you have it. I'll chip in for the recorder (and John's share, I owe him one). I have the extras DVD John made in my player as the "4th disc".
Thanks for the Aliens of the Deep tip, Travis. I did not know that either. And Titanic reminded me to pick up his Bismarck special from 2003.
Take care,
Chuck

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
To anyone waiting for the 4 Disc version (like me) :)
Virgin Megastore in the UK appear to be doing a 5 disc version. The store assistant couldn't confirm exactly what was on the 5th disc, but he thought it was the IMAX film that Cameron did (is that Ghosts Of The Abyss).
I have no idea if this will be part of the box or a separate boxed disc thrown in with the 4 disc release.
Anyone who can get more details it would be much appreciated

This is infomation regarding the deluxe limited edition which looks like to come in a blue slipcase. Unfortuantly I cant post the link but if you look at the uk virgin megastore site and type the details in the search you should come across it. No info on extras are on the page though.

I thought the UK release of Ghosts of the Abyss was a Disney release, therefore doubt it would be included on a fox release. It could the 1953 Titanic staring Clifton Webb or it could just contain the soundtrack, hope this helps.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Virgin megastore site might have changed the picture - it had an image of the 4 disc set WITH Ghosts Of The Abyss included, all in one box...an exclusive purchase likely made by Virgin themselves ..

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
titanic5duk6qm.jpg

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Here's the instructions I found on another site for the easter eggs. I tried them and they worked wonderfully on my regular DVD player. Wish I could remember who should get the credit for these. :b I do know I found them somewhere in DVDTalk.
SNL Skit: Go to Deleted Scenes and the last page with Chapter 29. Move the cursor so the picture for Chapter 29 is highlighted in an orange border. Hit the RIGHT cursor (nothing will happen) and then the DOWN cursor and the faint couple near the bottom will highlighted in a white border.
MTV Skit: Go to the Marketing Menu and highlight "Fox Special: Breaking New Ground". Hit the RIGHT cursor (nothing will happen) and then the DOWN cursor and the newspaper in the lower right of the screen will be highlighted in a yellowish border.
Titanic in 30 Seconds with Bunnies: Go to Special Features, then Still Galleries, then Production Artwork. Move the cursor RIGHT until "View Entire Gallery" is underlined. Hit the UP cursor TWICE until the blue arrow in the middle of the screen is highlighted.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Bump for an incidental bit of "Good news, boss--good news!"

DreamWork's Kelley Avery has replaced Par's Thomas Lesinki. Anybody else long more impressed with DW's DVDs compared to Par's?

-p

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
DreamWork's Kelley Avery has replaced Par's Thomas Lesinki. Anybody else long more impressed with DW's DVDs compared to Par's
Sorry, but what does this have to do with Titanic, other than Paramount being involved?
Paramount released an excellent SE of Titanic.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I stand by the criticisms I've made earlier in the thread in connection with the release.

Although there are still significant questions to be answered--not the least of which are regarding Par's sale of the DW library--Avery's taking over may very well bode for an earlier hi def release of Titanic than we would have seen under Lesinki's leadership (or that of his predecessor Eric Doctorow).

Although they of course have a smaller library, DW has been releasing better SEs longer than Par--the Signature Collection of Gladiator comes to mind, released in 2000 . . . about when we should have seen a Titanic SE. Given Spielberg's being a principal in the company, DW has also supported DTS a helluva lot more than Par.

Avery even wrote me back in 1998 when I wrote her about the outstanding-for-its-time Prince Of Egypt DVD. It's a longer, messier story, but Doctorow's office's response was far less friendly when I copied him on a letter I sent to Cameron around this time expressing my hope that the then rumors of a non-anamorphic Titanic DVD being released were not true.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Dude, it's so not that opaque.
A different executive with what I would argue is a better home video history may now be in charge of decisions in connection with future vid releases of Titanic.
-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks