What's new

Titanic Back On The Big Screen In Dolby Vision 3D (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I first saw Titanic in its original release at The Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I was quite enthralled by the recreation of the period and the epic scale of the production. After the film, we walked across the street to The Roosevelt Hotel for drinks and dinner. Although the theater and the hotel don't go back quite as far in time as the events in Titanic, they do go back to the early days of Hollywood, and the entire evening had a feeling of going back in time that was memorable and delightful. I can't believe it has been 20 years since that day!

I am very curious to see how this film looks in Dolby Vision. I no longer live in L.A. but I am happy a theater not too far from me will be playing it. I have been to this particular theater only once - to see Men in Black 3 - one of the worst presentations I have ever seen - horrendous screen door effect as if they were using a conference room projector. I am hoping this will far surpass that!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I saw this twice on its initial release with two different girls. Long story... :) I wouldn't have gone otherwise because at that time I figured this was a "chick flick". However, after watching it the second time I really enjoyed it. I'd probably try to go see this on its re-release but I have exams scheduled that week. Ugh. I imagine it will be very impressive.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
and isn't it all free money at this point with a movie this old?
Yes, it is. Not even counting the original release, the 3D theatrical re-release made over $343 million worldwide against a conversion cost of $18 million. I don't know how much they spent on the Dolby Vision version, but it's been more than paid for by prior releases and home video.

They're just sticking it to the fans at this point with these "special" ticket prices.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They're just sticking it to the fans at this point with these "special" ticket prices.

To be clear, the $26 ticket price I complained about isn't a special event price -- that's the standard price for any film playing in Dolby Cinema at the AMC Empire 25 location in New York City.

It's ridiculously high and I do believe they should have considered lowering it for this twenty year old film, but it's not being singled out for special treatment or higher prices as far as I can tell. It's just that the regular price is already too high.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This movie is the best 3D conversion I have ever seen. On my TV it is (cliche alert!) as if you are actually on the Titanic. The first time I watched it at home I almost could feel my feet get wet! Many brand new 3D movies are not nearly as effective.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, it is. Not even counting the original release, the 3D theatrical re-release made over $343 million worldwide against a conversion cost of $18 million. I don't know how much they spent on the Dolby Vision version, but it's been more than paid for by prior releases and home video.

Hey it’s not like they’re forcing you to go. :P

And like Josh said, these are standard Dolby Vision prices. My matinee price in the nyc area is $14.00. That’s worth it to me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Many brand new 3D movies are not nearly as effective.

I think the reason the Titanic conversion is so effective - or one of the reasons at least - is that they took forever to do it. What was it, an 18 month process? For most new release conversions, picture only gets locked in the weeks before the release, maybe a couple months at best (with all of the reshoots they do, and with digital projection eliminating the need to produce thousands of film prints, it's a lot quicker to get something from the set to the theater), so there just isn't the time to do the kind of work on most films that they did with Titanic.

I was listening to the commentary for a 3D converted title, I forget which movie it was, and the director mentions during one key scene that they went and shot it a mere two weeks before the premiere. I would bet the conversion house was already working on the film on a shot-by-shot or maybe scene-by-scene basis during that time, but that means for at least one part of that film, they had two weeks or less to convert it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And like Josh said, these are standard Dolby Vision prices. My matinee price in the nyc area is $14.00. That’s worth it to me.

The only way I could take advantage of matinee pricing is if I was still away from the night before! :D As someone who works nights, I'm never gonna voluntarily get up to watch a movie before noon. I wish they had special "Wednesday night at 10pm when no one else wants to go out" pricing, that'd be like a matinee for me!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, the AMC website has advanced tickets available and a lit of theaters. The only AMC by me is not participating. (They are in the process of undergoing a remodel at the moment, and only half of their screens are open right now, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.) Since this release seems to be chain-specific for some reason rather than a wide release, I guess I *still* won't be able to see this in the theater after having also missed it the two previous times. (In 1997-8 I was too young; in 2012 there were no 2D shows by me and I can't handle 3D.)

Oh well...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The "Terminator 2" 3D re-release was also AMC-specific in the U.S.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah. AMC also had a bunch of limited-time Disney reissues this past fall (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast '91, Mulan, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Brave) which I would have liked to see again in a theater, but naturally due to the remodel we didn't get any of those either, so I guess I should be used to it now.

We did get Terminator 2, but only for a week, and I couldn't go to that one either because as I've noted, I can't handle 3D and they did not see fit to offer a 2D option.

The remodel is pushing me more toward my local Cinemark for new films at them moment. I live about equidistant between the two, so I usually allow the more convenient starting time to win out, but lately the only things I've seen at AMC are IMAX (which is one of the screens that is not being renovated, as it was put in more recently and presumably doesn't need upgraded seats that they're doing in the other screens.)

To make this post related again to Titanic: I guess maybe in 5 years the next time it hits a major anniversary, they'll try again, and maybe then I'll be able to see it. In the meantime, I'll have to stick with my disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We did get Terminator 2, but only for a week, and I couldn't go to that one either because as I've noted, I can't handle 3D and they did not see fit to offer a 2D option.

That's not AMC's fault - it was offered to theaters as 3D-only reissue, as per James Cameron.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I figured as much in that case. Cameron's insistence on 3D is fine, but it denied him my money, as I would have gone in 2D but skipped it as it was.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I figured as much in that case. Cameron's insistence on 3D is fine, but it denied him my money, as I would have gone in 2D but skipped it as it was.

Honestly, I know 3D is uncomfortable but I think you would have been fine - I did go to see it in 3D, and there was not one apparent 3D effect in the entire film. I saw no depth, no layering, no pop-out. There were two images onscreen, and the polarized filter was on the projector, but the 3D was just not apparent at any point. I (politely) complained to the theater after the fact, and they spoke to their projectionist, who swore that there was nothing wrong with the settings or setup, and that was just the DCP they were sent, which was labeled as being in 3D. I read other people on HTF saying that the 3D was very lackluster at their screenings, so I wonder if it was a technical issue at my showing or if it's just not a very 3D-like conversion -- which would surprise me for Cameron! I'm hopeful that the UK 3D disc which keeps getting postponed will eventually come out so I can try it at home and see if it's better there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
3D in theaters always gave me headaches. Home 3D is wonderful. No issues at all.

No AMC within 150 miles here so I guess I'm out anyway.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Honestly, I know 3D is uncomfortable but I think you would have been fine - I did go to see it in 3D, and there was not one apparent 3D effect in the entire film. I saw no depth, no layering, no pop-out. There were two images onscreen, and the polarized filter was on the projector, but the 3D was just not apparent at any point. I (politely) complained to the theater after the fact, and they spoke to their projectionist, who swore that there was nothing wrong with the settings or setup, and that was just the DCP they were sent, which was labeled as being in 3D. I read other people on HTF saying that the 3D was very lackluster at their screenings, so I wonder if it was a technical issue at my showing or if it's just not a very 3D-like conversion -- which would surprise me for Cameron! I'm hopeful that the UK 3D disc which keeps getting postponed will eventually come out so I can try it at home and see if it's better there.

If your talking about Titanic, we found the 3D incredibly effective on both disc and in the theatre. I used the disc to demonstrate my system often.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks