What's new

Titanic Back On The Big Screen In Dolby Vision 3D (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
An Unsinkable Offer in Dolby Cinema and Dolby 3D
With a movie as massive as Titanic, it takes multiple viewings to appreciate everything. Buy tickets to see the beautifully reformatted Titanic in Dolby Cinema and Dolby 3D below and you’ll receive a digital copy to re-watch at home.

Ooh. Bonus. :P

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From Deadline:

James Cameron’s ‘Titanic’ Floats Again In 2D & 3D December Rerelease
Greg Evans

James Cameron’s Titanic makes its 20th birthday with a re-release in select AMC Theatres in both 2D and 3D. The hugely popular disaster movie will play exclusive one-week runs in 87 Dolby Cinema at AMC venues beginning Dec. 1.

The announcement was made by Dolby Laboratories, Paramount Pictures and AMC Theatres today. Twenty of the 87 venues will support showing the Leonardo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet Oscar-winning film from Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox in 3D.

“We mastered a few minutes of Titanic in Dolby Vision and I was stunned,” said director Cameron. “It was like seeing it for the first time. Now that the entire film has been mastered, I’m excited to share it with audiences across the U.S. This is beyond 3D, beyond 70mm, it’s beyond anything you’ve seen before. The image leaps off the screen as bright and vibrant as life itself. This is the way all movies should be seen and without a doubt, Titanic has never looked better.”

Tickets go on sale November 15 at 5:30am PST through Dolby Cinema at AMC locations and online.

Paramount Pictures posted a new trailer for the rerelease. Take a look above.

Reactions: PMF

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
0F64068F-98CB-446B-BF5D-88949BC0963A.jpeg
I think I have an enema scheduled.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
LOL, I know some love that movie but I hate it. Remember going to a crowded theater when it opened to watch with this crazy girl I was dating. Someone on the next aisle fell asleep during the movie and started snoring and that summarized the movie for me. Didn't get excited until the Titanic started sinking.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
LOL, I know some love that movie but I hate it. Remember going to a crowded theater when it opened to watch with this crazy girl I was dating. Someone on the next aisle fell asleep during the movie and started snoring and that summarized the movie for me. Didn't get excited until the Titanic started sinking.
“Some”??

Lol indeed. Terrific film and holds up even by today’s standards imo.

Got my tickets already. Should be tremendous in Dolby Vidion 3D.

Enjoy that enema!:D

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Terrific is subjective. Its an average and safe story that made sure it appealed to a broad base, and caused women to drag their dates there, as well as seeing it themselves multiple times. I know I was 19 when it released, what a crap show.

I had a group of 8 girls I was good friends with, each went to see it 4 times. Highway craziness.

Oh Leo, smooch smooch.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific is subjective. Its an average and safe story that made sure it appealed to a broad base, and caused women to drag their dates there, as well as seeing it themselves multiple times. I know I was 19 when it released, what a crap show.

I had a group of 8 girls I was good friends with, each went to see it 4 times. Highway craziness.

Oh Leo, smooch smooch.
Obviously terrific is subjective. Which is why I said it was my opinion.

Just like calling it an average and safe story made to appeal to a broad base is your opinion.

And please lets not regurgitate that ridiculous claim that teenage girls are the reason Titanic was as successful as it was. Such nonsense.

And let’s not turn this thread into a Titanic bashing opportunity. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Clearly this thread appeals to fans of the film that want to see it again on the big screen.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm a big fan of the movie. It's such a big screen experience that I never watched it on cable, VHS or DVD. I saw it a bunch in theaters during the original 1997-1998 run, and also saw it a couple times in IMAX 3D in 2012, but I had never watched it at home for the longest time. It was only when the BD3D came out that I finally watched it at home a couple times.

This in theory sounds like something I'd love doing, but much like the Close Encounters Dolby Cinema revival, the tickets are $26 each! I paid less for the BD3D! I don't know if I can justify that expense. I'm sure it's coming out at this particular time because it's a quiet few weeks before Star Wars opens, and I love the idea of bringing classic films back, but how about a little bit of a discount? Close Encounters played to an almost entirely empty house in Dolby Cinema the week it was back in theaters here, and I truly believe it was as much about the price as anything. Make it $10, and it'll be more likely to sell - and isn't it all free money at this point with a movie this old?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree Josh.

Although I believe this release will be more successful than the CE3K release.

Still such an amazing accomplishment. How much more can Titanic gross with a current worldwide haul of $2.2 Billion. :eek:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I first saw this in 70mm and the scene of the engine room with the Pistons or turbines or whatever they were blew me away. No Television I have owned has done justice to this scene.

My wife and daughter love this film and I love 3D and Dolby vision. Can't wait to see this on the big screen again.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I love the movie too, but I don't think it's playing in my area. And even with the love I have for it, I don't think I'd go to $26 to see it again...

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Titanic, for some reason, struck an emotional chord in me when it was released. I saw it opening day (as I do with all Cameron films) and went back that Sunday for another matinee showing. I remember all the chatter about the film's expense and I wanted to support the film and filmmaker, and loved the unexpected success that met all of that chatter and doubt (it didn't open huge, but it kept making just about the same amount weekend after weekend).

Being as big a fan of James Horner as I have always been, the score stood out to me as well. I enjoy the film, and recognize the flaws, but the grand scale of the production and the dramatic and thrilling second half once the iceberg has been struck remains just as impressive to this day.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If there are actually 2D shows here, I might think about it. (I can't handle 3D.) But I was too young to see it in a theater in its original run, and the 2012 run promised 2D but didn't deliver, so I've never seen this in a theater before.

If there is a 4K Blu release coming, which I suspect this release portends, might I suggest to Paramount that they should also re-release the 2D Blu-ray as a single? Get rid of the combo pack DVDs we don't need and replace them with an UltraViolet digital copy instead of the iTunes one that they supported in 2012. I'd get that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Titanic, for some reason, struck an emotional chord in me when it was released. I saw it opening day (as I do with all Cameron films) and went back that Sunday for another matinee showing. I remember all the chatter about the film's expense and I wanted to support the film and filmmaker, and loved the unexpected success that met all of that chatter and doubt (it didn't open huge, but it kept making just about the same amount weekend after weekend).
I was/am a huge fan of James Cameron especially back then so I went to the first show and there was the OK-ish sized crowd of older folks that I expected to see at a period piece. I loved the movie so much that I went back to the next show and that time, the theater had a lot of younger people in it. I was quite happy because I thought that Titanic may break even or turn a small profit. Clearly, I'm a gifted prognosticator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks