What's new

THX Ultra 2 & 7.1 speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Anton_B

Auditioning
I stuck this in the basics area as well hoping to get some wider coverage. If you have already read it I appologize.

Ok I have a question, I am looking at placing speaker outlets in my unfinished 12'x20' dedicated theater and i am confused. I am wanting to wire for THX Ultra 2 and 7.1 which I think are the same (feel free to correct that sentiment) When i look at the speaker placements on the THX web site it shows the surrounds to the sides of the primary seating area and the rears straight back side by side. But when i look at pictures of some of the awesome theaters you guys have built, the surrounds are on the back sides and the backs are in the back center. So where are the surrounds supposed to go? Does anyone have a good website address with really good illustrations and dimensions and explainations of why things go where?

Thanks

Tony

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
That's the first time I've seen that "ASA" back surround placement. I can aleady hear the sound of ladders being pulled from the garage, drills going through sheetrock and cussing from people in their attics. :) Seriously though, I assume this ASA is only on *new* receivers/processors?

btw: what does the THX circuitry do when a DTS track is played? Particularly a DTS-ES track? And I don't recall any Star Wars movie including a DTS track - a feud possibly between Mr. Lucas and the DTS people?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
here you go:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-4.html
^it explains most of what the spec means from THX's site.

if you have a THX Ultra2 Certified speaker, then place it that way, otherwise, i don't think you need to follow it.

lance, i'm wondering about that DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 issue as well. far as i know THX pans sound for TWO speakered rear center channel (7.1 config). i dunno what THX does for DTS-ES 6.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks