thx on 1014??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanJE, Feb 11, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Ive been playing with my new 1014. I was just wondering whats the diff between THX cinema and regular 5.1? I cant hear much difference.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

John, I also thought that it muddled the highs a bit but I thought it could be my imagination since im not used to this receiver yet. If a DVD says THX on it does that matter?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    THX on a DVD means it was mastered in a certain way, it does not guarantee that it will work better with THX processing.

5. John S

John S Producer

here's a hint from personal findings...

I use it when for whatever reason the Dolby DD, or Even DD 2.0 or heck even Dolby PL just happens to sound harsh or brash.

You will know what I mean if you ever run across such a title / source, usually it is the dialog that is harsh, brash, overly bright. Not sure how to describe it, but everytime, the THX seems to help a lot with those. Otherwise, I use what I deem the correct mode, which will be DD or DTS.

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I leave mine on Automatic surround. . . Works best for me and sounds great doing it. I got tired of the other modes. . . "Advanced" "Expanded" etc. etc. Sounds just fine doing its own thing and I dont worry about wether it is in the right mode or not. . .