What's new

It's Pioneer for me, but... 1014, Elite 41 or 45? (1 Viewer)

Chuck_J

Grip
I posted a few weeks back on trying to decide on a receiver. I was looking for something in the $300 range but after reading some of the responses and other posts I've decided to step it up and invest in a nicer and higher quality receiver.

It was a tie between the Yamahas and Pioneers but I like the streamline "look" and visual panel display of the Pioneer more.

Now for my question. It seems I could not go wrong with the 1014. #1 does it have the TV display unlike the lower Pioneers? #2 Is it pretty much the same as the Elite 41 only cheaper and with THX? Sound shop has a clearance on the VSX41s (Floor displays)for $269!!

I went to a "custom" dealer and installer shop last week looking for the 1014 but they only sold the Elites. The person I talked to didn't think to highly of anything less than the Elite series. (Go figure) Since I liked the Pioneer he was willing to sell me a Elite 52 for around $600 bucks. I personally feel I can be fully satisfied with the 1014 instead and save a few dollars too!

oneCall.com has a 1014 for $398 and Best Buy has it for $499. I'm kind of concern about purchasing it online since I don't want to purchase any gray market equipment and not have Pioneers warranty backing.

I know Elites have authorized dealers and most if not all are not through online stores. Is it the same for the non Pioneer Elite products?

I know this is long but I'd appreciate any responses on this matter. Thanks

Chuck :)

PS in the title I mentioned 45 went I meant to say Elite VSX 52TX

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1014TX is a pretty big step up from the Elite 41. The Elite 41 is a rebadged standard Pioneer VSX-811S (a 3yr old model). The 1014TX and Elite 52TX are the same unit (except for the 52TX having RS232 port and 2ch analog audio / composite video for a second zone). Anyone who tells you that the 1014TX is not of Elite quality but the 52TX is obviously doesn't know the products. The Elite 45TX may be of slightly better build quality than the 1014TX and Elite 52TX but lacks some of the newer features like component video upconversion and Pro Logic IIx.

If given the choice (and I was) I would go with the 1014TX (and I did). It has tons of power (measured at 115w x 5 all channels driven full range) and all the great features I was looking for for an AMAZING value. If you purchase online from onecall, j&r, vanns, or any authorized dealer then you'll have no problems getting warranty work done. There are NO authorized online Elite dealers.

Chuck_J

Grip
Thanks for the info. But does the 1014 have TV display controls like the Elite model or is it something I would have to do without? I couldn't find any info on this.

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
If you are asking if the 1014 has onscreen display of the setup menus etc..., then the answer is yes.

James Phung

Second Unit
Just to clarify, the 1014 is the same as the elite 52tx (as stephen mentioned, not 53tx) but without the glossy finish, rs232, 2 year warranty, and multisource zone 2 found on the 52tx.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I made the mistake of buying the "Elite" 41 last December. I kept it for 3 months then sold it. I bought it as it was an "Elite" receiver. Once I found out it was really a 811, I was ticked. Pioneer was very deceitful in this regard. They put a $800 price tag on this receiver. I paid about $370 with a warranty and shipping.

To me there is no question when considering the above mentioned choices to go with the 1014.

I have an HK 235 and Onkyo 502 currently. The 1014 seeme to be a fantastic deal, although for me, the HK has the sound I am looking for.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I bought mine from OneCall and was very happy with the whole thing. They called me the next day (on Sunday, even) to confirm the shipping address. FedEx delivered in two days, not three. OneCall is Pioneer authorized too. Now if I can just figure out how to work the &$%#@* thing! :D

James Phung

Second Unit
OneCall is great. A week after I received the 1014 they called me to make sure my receiver was working fine.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I sold my 45 and bought a 1014. . . However I intend to end up with either a HK-7300 or the 56TXi ELITE. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks